Author Topic: Talking with Robby Naish.  (Read 3802 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Talking with Robby Naish.
« on: February 05, 2009, 04:03:53 AM »
Yesterday I was lucky enough to spend some time with Robby Naish and I didn't waste the opportunity and asked him about what's new with Naish in regards to SUP's.

I expected the usual comment like 'Oh just wait and see..We've got some great new stuff coming' ..but instead I got detailed info about everything I asked about.

I'm a huge Naish fan.. Both Robby and the Naish brand.. and now with Dave Kalama on board I am expecting Naish to get even better.

So here's all the stuff that I got out of Robby as far as what's new and what's coming.

A new 14' race board.. foam filled like the Glide.. Rudder-less.. and a couple of inches more narrow than the Glide and also a different rocker.

A new 17' race board.. hollow and with a rudder.. and designed for down-winders.

A new 18' race board.. hollow and with a rudder.. and designed for flat water.

A new 10'6"..9'6"..and 9'3" .. all with thruster fin set ups.

A new 10' board that is more stable than the big 11'6" AST.

I asked about the grip and he said all boards will come from the factory with grip.. it's a new type grip..and without the side ramps... also a clear nose area grip.

I asked about paddles and he said that there will be three types of paddle  construction.. and each with two different blade shapes.

I asked about a cheaper entry level board and he said that they now have two factorys.. and the new one will be able to produce the boards cheaper.

I showed Robby the new Outer Edge mag with an article about SUP and me and he was rapt.. He said this is exactly with they need and the adventure sports area is the market that they should be aiming at.. He said that they expect SUP to be 20% about the surfing and 80% about flat water.. He said that they have been putting all their effort into all the surfing mags..and only aiming at that 20%.

I asked how long before we start seeing all this new stuff.. Robby said that they will not wait till each year and bring out a new years range.. They'll bring out all this new stuff bit by bit as soon as they can.

Robby thought my new car was cool and loved the SUP-01 license plate.. I asked Robby if I should keep what he told me to myself or can I post it on the forums and he said 'go for it..tell them everything'.

I got to meet Robby many years ago in the early windsurfing days and after all these years and all his success I found Robby to be just as nice..down to earth and stoked about being out on the water..wether it be with a windsurfer, kite or SUP.

It was so nice of Robby to take the time to talk to me and I think I'm an even bigger Naish fan now.

DJ

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Talking with Robby Naish.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 04:16:27 AM »
Very cool  ;D

Thanks for sharing

bigdom

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 04:48:21 AM »
agree on the huge flat water potential for sup

standing on a sup vs sitting a kayak - no contest IMLTHO

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 05:24:53 AM »
agree on the huge flat water potential for sup

standing on a sup vs sitting a kayak - no contest IMLTHO

I agree.. and it's also about the large areas that don't have surf..but do have rivers, lakes, bays etc.

I've posted something in the 'Events' section of the forum that explains why Robby was down under.

Click here.. http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=3116.0

DJ
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 05:28:51 AM by DavidJohn »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 08:56:02 AM »
Sweet that you got to meet him DJ. I can see BIG blow ups of thos pics on your walls... ;D. For all you've done helping to spread the Naish stoke you should get one of those new 17'er's.. ;)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Byronmaui

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 09:08:26 AM »
Robby Naish is very cool and down to earth. I asked this in the other thread but looks like you are wearing Maui Ripper shorts here too? Did ya buy the whole store?

Aloha

Byron

Velasco

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 09:23:04 AM »
I agree with all the statements about Robby being down to earth.

When I lived on Oahu, I saw the transition from custom wavesailing boards to cobra factory production lines and the beginning of kitesurfing.

Robby would pop into the shop periodically and it was nothing for him to stop and talk story with any and everyone hanging out.

In the morning - he was one of the regular joggers along Kailua Beach.  Then later in the day you would see him blasting on the latest kite gear - still stoked to stop and talk to anyone on the beach about what the latest and greatest gear was.

This same vibe came from anyone at the shop  - Des, Sean, Dieter, Noel and all the Naish's.

I have only been through Kailua periodically since I left Oahu, but the same vibe still exists - if you want to see what is coming out, go in a check it out - I first saw the 9'6" quad prototype on the rack in the shop 4 months before it came out.

Thanks for the Aloha Robby and Kailua crew!!!

Vic

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 03:36:20 PM »
Stoked to see that Naish is going to try out some hollow construction techniques on the race boards.  Surf skis and racing OC's are hollow, so why not SUP's too?  Especially in the 18'+ range.  A 22 foot carbon ski can weigh less than 20 lbs.  Scary.

Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard