Author Topic: Forward can't for balance... (damn spell checker!)  (Read 3534 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Forward can't for balance... (damn spell checker!)
« on: December 29, 2016, 02:35:39 PM »
Emmanuel Kant, German philosopher, said in about 1765; "Bin't 'jer nees."   Actually, I'm pretty sure it was TallDude talking about Plantar fasciitis who mentioned some shoe inserts helped him with a problem -I am blessed not to have- while also helping with balance, a problem I surely do. One of the respondents to the thread (I can't find..) mentioned the forward cant of a ski boot. Eureka! 

I'm occasionally victim of a magical force that locks my knees and shoves me straight off the back when waiting for a wave: C'hit!  It just happens;  I'm not paying attention? ..seizures? ..any number of things?! The idea of the ski boot cant seems brilliant.  Luckily, I had recently bought some water shoes for a potential trip to the tropics.

If you explore the World of Shoe Inserts, it seems packed with the same sorts of people who'd lecture on buying real estate at a Holiday Inn.  When a few cents of foam becomes a few hundred dollars all the Tent revivalist and Time Share slicks seem to offer them.  Amazon had these: 2 pair for $7.  (should have been .99c, but someone has to profit off the cheapskates) 

These provide about .5" (6mm) of heel lift ..cloth covered and have a cushy, comfortable durometer.

Simply putting the new insole in made the lift just a little too much for the short back... Good news: by sewing the insole to the existing insole and cutting away its rear section, it fit perfectly.  Not only do I have a decent water shoe ..am taller ..and automatically have a can'ted stance.  (testing comes later - my local water is in the 45f.  ..'may try my other nemesis: the slack line.)

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Forward can't for balance... (damn spell checker!)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 04:15:06 PM »
the ones I use are called Profoot, and they're cheep, cheep, cheep, though not as cheap as yours. I didn't wear them today, surfing Sunset cliffs with Tom, and I missed them.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Larry2c

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 05:14:57 PM »
I'm going to ask a dumb rookie question - you are wearing some sort of shoes on your SUP (with the inserts)??? When I started SUP'ing it was winter so I went out & bought some toed booties. I tried it a couple times then just went barefoot and my balance seemed to improve massively. I haven't tried them since and now that I have a couple years practice, maybe it wouldn't be so bad but I'm just surprised that anyone not having to deal with freezing water would have anything on their feet.

dns

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 01:32:34 PM »
^^I just started using the O'neil super freak split toe booties and love them. You definitely give up a bit of feel of the board, but the extra traction more than makes up for it. They grip like spiderman on the deck pad.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 02:13:55 PM »
^^I just started using the O'neil super freak split toe booties and love them. You definitely give up a bit of feel of the board, but the extra traction more than makes up for it. They grip like spiderman on the deck pad.
+1

Not to mention a 100 % reduction in cuts on the feet from reefs and hidden sharp things in the sand.

Just paddled distance today with the inserts. So nice. You do feel like you're walking in waterlogged shoes when you get out of the water, but no big. I just take them off when I done paddling anyways.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Larry2c

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 04:30:49 PM »
So you slip the inserts inside of the booties?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 04:31:54 PM »
Yep.
It's not overhead to me!

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 05:13:45 AM »
wetstuff: obvious question: so who makes those miracle insoles?  never thought about forward cant before; definitely something i should investigate.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 05:55:40 AM »
L2c.. I bought these to use if I get a chance to get away this winter - remembering the razor coral and urchins in Puerto Rico years ago.  I also have a secondary issue; as most, I surf/cruise shoeless but have degenerative disks and one of the secondary effects is 'drop foot'. I walk like a person who lost a leg below the knee: I am unable to lift the toes on my left foot  ..meaning, my big toe drags and first two next to them will often fold under when I do my 'jump up'.  I have to reach down and release my toes.  I tried booties at the end of the season; they seemed to work by keeping my toes 'bundled'.  To your point: I would imagine you are correct about 'direct contact' with the board giving you an immediate sense of your board, but I may have to adjust. The good news: nobody rides barefoot in Winter, so it can't be too bad...

Linter.. I went back an looked at the listing.  These are fricking lifts, not medical miracles ..ego boosters.  (Hey, they looked the same to me?! ..and I can use the 1/2".)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042LKX1E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 08:12:29 AM »
I tried the forward cant yesterday in some little shorebreak on mission beach. I stepped up on the board a little too early, and punching over a wave, I jabbed my fin backwards into the sand and wound up dropping to my knees. Stuck a knee right through the deck of my board. Session over before it started. I'm blaming Talldude. Off this morning to find some glassing supplies.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 09:22:58 AM »
some little shorebreak
It's always the little ones that get me too.  I fear shallow and small.

O'neil also makes a reef bootie without the split toe (which always game my huge big toe a blister).  Fantastic product.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 11:56:46 AM »
I'm easy to point fingers at because you can always spot me above the crowd.  So if you feel the need to blame someone,  I'm always here :)
My thumb and shoulder is still healing from landing on board after gliding up to the calm shore at Baby Beach at night. I thought the water was deeper than it was.  The nose of my board stuck and I did a forward flip. Stupid accident,  but typical for me.
It's not overhead to me!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal