Author Topic: This shit has to stop.  (Read 10606 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: This shit has to stop.
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2017, 10:10:36 AM »
Luca, thx for pulling the core stuff out of my rambling. Will you be my editor? ;)

I'll add that surfing and paddling has helped me with quite a few of those topics.

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2017, 08:09:27 AM »
Anyone who thinks that you can just tough it out through pain without any meds has obviously never had a kidney stone.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2017, 02:55:15 PM »
The vid was strange. Vets who became heroin addicts because of the horror different than those who suffered awful physical trauma, and became poly-substance addicted to prescription drugs, some of which are an order of magnitude more addicting than heroin.

I had the great good fortune to study with both B.F. Skinner and Carl Rogers and anyone who tries to reduce and simplify something as complicated as addiction to prescription pain meds, or alcohol, or recreational - ha - drugs, is not cognizant of the complexity and diversity of being human.

This has been a great thread IMO..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2017, 03:39:51 PM »
Mr. big, you are 100% right, but here's my 2 cents. Some people are just wired to look for a bigger buzz than others, and the buzz can come from different sources i.e. drugs or sports. In this thread, several people have said they took some prescription pain pills and didn't ever want to do that again. Just like some people go out in really big surf, or ski a super steep line, and never want that again. But some will get a bit high on grass or beer and say, that's great, I want more. Just like those that ride a big wave and say, I want bigger.

I think that all of us have our personal comfort level in both buzz and sports danger and  enjoy getting near its limit but there is a point where we say, that's too far. The difference is some people's comfort level is just much higher and some are very low. Using surfing as an example, I have some friends that really like to surf, but don't want anything over head. I have other friends that look for the life threatening gnarliest surf they can find and have yet to reach their limit. Also, I had some friends back in college that had a similar outlook on drugs. I don't go on surf surf trips with the gnarly ones, nor do I want to party with with guys looking for the outrageous highs.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal