Author Topic: Paddle cam downwinder.  (Read 2481 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Paddle cam downwinder.
« on: December 28, 2016, 08:22:09 PM »

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Paddle cam downwinder.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 08:44:32 PM »
Great vid. I like those angles and the music is great too.  ;)
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 12:20:03 AM »
Great work - the paddle cam is my favourite viewpoint yet because you can really see how downwinding is surfing when not distracted by paddling.

I can also see now what people mean about the low volume of the Maliko. Despite you riding the biggest one, and not being particularly heavy, the board still looks on the edge of being the right volume for you at a couple of spots.

This vid also shows the potential for drone coverage of a downwinder, if such a thing were possible. Maybe in the future.

What are the other two boards? You have a wider selection of brands available to you in Australia than we have in Europe, I think.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 02:40:39 AM »
Yep, cool angles. As always great edit, tunes, views and waves.

A question: is the camera at the tip of your blade? Why not install it just above the throat of the paddle?

Is it a huge hassle when paddling?

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 07:18:39 AM »
This a cool video. Dowwinding without using our paddle. Makes for an interesting view since the entire board can be seen.

Since I've got an eye for details, is this board a new board? I think the nose of the board I've seen you downwinding in previous videos looks different than the nose on this board.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 08:32:27 AM »
Sweet edit!

I appreciate editing out the paddle strokes.  I find editing paddle cam video to be a headache inducing difficult task.  Well done!  Thanks for sharing.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 01:22:17 PM »
Great vid. I like those angles and the music is great too.  ;)

Thanks.. being able to mix up and change the angles is the big advantage of the paddle cam but waving your paddle around in a strong wind is not an easy thing to do.. This was just a test to see if it's do-able..

dk78

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 01:29:27 PM »
Very nice video!

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 01:40:19 PM »
Great work - the paddle cam is my favourite viewpoint yet because you can really see how downwinding is surfing when not distracted by paddling.

I can also see now what people mean about the low volume of the Maliko. Despite you riding the biggest one, and not being particularly heavy, the board still looks on the edge of being the right volume for you at a couple of spots.

This vid also shows the potential for drone coverage of a downwinder, if such a thing were possible. Maybe in the future.

What are the other two boards? You have a wider selection of brands available to you in Australia than we have in Europe, I think.

Thanks.. Craig was on the Blue Planet Surf bump rider and Dave was on the new One board.. I think it was the Ace-like board called the Storm..

The Naish guys were surprised when I thought my new 28" wide Maliko needed even more volume because they said it was slightly more chunkier than the old one but you'd need a vernier caliper to measure the difference because it's so small.. It needs 1/2" an inch more IMO.. There were times when looking back at my vid that the tail was totally under water and that's a lot of drag..

It was harder than I thought it would be.. paddling with a camera on my blade.. and waving the paddle around in the air.. and to make things worse it was a bad angle with wind gusts heading me off in the wrong direction..

I didn't realize how much I use my paddle for bracing.. and dragging/turning.. and how important quick strokes are because all I could do was a slow car-plonk.. car-plonk as I tried to catch runners.. I felt so wonky and wobbly and even though the wind was strong it was very gusty and messy.. I'll try this paddle cam thing another day when conditions are better..

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 01:45:47 PM »
Yep, cool angles. As always great edit, tunes, views and waves.

A question: is the camera at the tip of your blade? Why not install it just above the throat of the paddle?

Is it a huge hassle when paddling?

I like the camera on the blade for a couple of reasons.. It gets the camera just that little bit further away (with GoPro's lens that makes a big difference) and it gives a much bigger mounting area.. and less likely to get knocked off its mount.. But it does make paddling much harder.. I need to get my little session camera going and mount that to the throat of the blade.. I'm sure that will work better..

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 01:48:12 PM »
This a cool video. Dowwinding without using our paddle. Makes for an interesting view since the entire board can be seen.

Since I've got an eye for details, is this board a new board? I think the nose of the board I've seen you downwinding in previous videos looks different than the nose on this board.

Same board.. Just the angle and the GoPro lens changing things.. I agree it's nice to be able to see the whole board for a change..

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 01:50:59 PM »
Sweet edit!

I appreciate editing out the paddle strokes.  I find editing paddle cam video to be a headache inducing difficult task.  Well done!  Thanks for sharing.

I agree.. there's nothing worse than too much camera movement especially with a paddle cam.. You just have to be ruthless with editing even if it means loosing 90% of your vid..

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 12:02:04 AM »
DJ. Good to see you pioneering yet another POV with the paddlecam on a downwinder. I can only imagine how hard it was to get those shots without having a paddle to keep you on the glide or to brace with. Excellent stuff. Looking forward to seeing more  8)
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal