Author Topic: Review of the Motionize SUPerior paddle sensor  (Read 10596 times)

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
Review of the Motionize SUPerior paddle sensor
« on: December 28, 2016, 11:52:29 AM »
A few weeks ago I received a Motionize SUPerior paddle sensor and have been testing it since.  It's ability to measure left vs. right strokes, entry angle and lots of other metrics makes it a unique training tool and a good value at $99.  We are now offering it for sale at Blue Planet, check out the review and tips on using it:
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
Re: Review of the Motionize SUPerior paddle sensor
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 12:17:05 PM »
That would be fairly good. I am assuming that the data itself is recorded on the phone and the little box is only a sensor and a transmitter so there is no chance to have a Windows version to download the data?
If I get the chance to update my phone to a Android 5, in a year or two I might get one.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

warmuth

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 12:27:31 PM »
  I used one of these the other day. I like some of the features and will probably end up getting one to compliment the speed coach. I'm not a fan of having to operate it with my phone nor even carrying my phone so it'll be more for collecting data the speed coach doesnt track. One or the other the speed coach wins for me but it's cheap enough to justify having both.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 01:43:18 PM »
Good comprehensive review Robert. I wanted to add some insights:

I still have mine from the beta testing I did for them. It has the potential but the product lacks
in many ways.

The main problem is that this company is Kayak oriented and the people running the project
didn't have the first clew about SUP. We sat down with them for quite a while to explain what we're really looking for in the sensor, to separate it from the saturated market.

Reliance on the phone is a big deal breaker for many. for me too. The absence of the promised depth of stroke metric is the one thing I could not get behind.

If you don't want to mount the Phone on the board (which I don't), you have no other
option of seeing your metrics in realtime. There is a voice option but it's kind of a useless
when you're out in the elements, probably will work if you're on a quiet lake or something.

The sensor is clunky and cheaply made and as Robert pointed out could injure you. Attachment to the paddle is limited to the mounting piece, otherwise you have to rig it to your other paddles
and the sensor does not conform to the shape of the paddle like a Va'aka sensor does for example.

The side to side analysis is helpful but as far as the angle, they could not explain exactly how they measure it since they don't have any depth reading in regards to where the paddle is in relation to the water.

Last time I checked, this unit could only be synced to one model of Garmin (one of the more expensive models) so that was another limitations (not their fault though).

For what ever reason, they rushed it to market although they said they would work on it to perfect
it before they do. The only thing they did is lower their planned price point to $99 (from $149).

I'd wait for the next hardware version (if there will be one), I didn't feel their commitment
for the SUP market.

I have more hopes for next version of the Makai which is supposedly out in few months.

Sorry Robert to put a damper on your party, I just wanted to make sure people know
everything before committing to the product. I'm sure at this price point it will be a good fit for some.
in progress...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 03:34:59 PM »
That's disappointing. for something that size I expected a strain gauge to read power. that's ridiculously large for a paddle-mounted accelerometer. I can get everything except blade angle and paddle side count from a garmin watch or a Speedcoach.

I do carry my phone almost all the time for downwinders--mostly for music but also to contact lifeguards or paddle partners in the event of a problem. I mount it close to my shoulder and can hear it easily without headphones. so that wouldn't be an issue for me. the dealbreaker is no strain gauge.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 02:59:27 PM »
Yes, it's certainly not a perfect products and somewhat disappointing especially after seeing what their surfski sensor can do.  I'm sure that they will work on improving it if there is enough demand.   
Still, getting the entry angle and left to right side comparison is something you can't get from any other device and you can get pretty much all the other data that any other device records, so for $100 it's a better value than most other GPS devices out there.

Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 06:26:37 PM »
Hard to get the demand if the product isn't useful.  99 bucks is not expensive, but it's a lot to get blade angle.  As to side count, I don't know anyone who cares about that. And I'm not sure what I'd do with blade angle data.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 07:09:27 PM »
Hard to get the demand if the product isn't useful.  99 bucks is not expensive, but it's a lot to get blade angle.  As to side count, I don't know anyone who cares about that. And I'm not sure what I'd do with blade angle data.
What would you do with strain gauge data?
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 12:43:06 AM »
For me, the blade angle data is the most attractive feature. I'm getting more and more convinced that having a good blade angle at the catch is key to speed - at least for me.

The price is good too. But I would want to be able to easily put the sensor on and off a paddle via a clamp system. I don't want to be sticking anything on my paddles and I want to be able to switch between them easily (I have different paddles for different boards, activities, and conditions).

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 03:28:27 AM »
^ Yep, would be interesting. I work on it but have no idea how consistent I am nor how much I progress over time.

Zip ties are pretty cheap. And light.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 03:55:28 AM »
I have one. M concern with the device is that I have to attach the base to my paddle with adhesive. I don't want something permanently attached to my KeNalu.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 03:59:51 AM »
you can't zip tie it on?

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 04:07:55 AM »
I guess you could. I was just annoyed that that wasn't a standard option.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 05:38:23 AM »
I guess you could duct tape it on too. But I don't want to have the bother of that either.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 05:48:12 AM »
That's disappointing. for something that size I expected a strain gauge to read power. that's ridiculously large for a paddle-mounted accelerometer. I can get everything except blade angle and paddle side count from a garmin watch or a Speedcoach.

I do carry my phone almost all the time for downwinders--mostly for music but also to contact lifeguards or paddle partners in the event of a problem. I mount it close to my shoulder and can hear it easily without headphones. so that wouldn't be an issue for me. the dealbreaker is no strain gauge.

I agree wholesale.

I've only used my free test unit once but it's no good having load of metrics if they are not actionable intelligence. I need the ability to get into the raw data too.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard