Author Topic: Winter Monsoon Downwind Vid - Best conditions of 2016  (Read 25578 times)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Monsoon Downwind Vid - Best conditions of 2016
« Reply #105 on: January 07, 2017, 08:47:51 AM »
It seems like you have a number of fins coldsup.  The Race Ultra to me was a slow med fin.  It had quite good hold which correlates to more stall.  Was ok - but too slow in turning and too slow for speed.

Sounds if you need stability you will need to either deal with more stall or slower speed.  So probs would try the GT Moray.  That fin has stability at the base and release at the tip.  Send Larry a PM and see what he can arrange for you.  He maybe can get it to you for a reasonable price.  Cheers mate.   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2017, 08:57:29 AM »
BTW.  I have no affiliation with Larry or any brand manufacturer or retailer supplier or distributor.  I buy my stuff from CL or full price or on sale.  I am not sponsored and all my reviews and comments have zero servant master relationships.  I kinda like it like that.  So I can post what I want.
Fast is FUN!   8)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2017, 03:54:59 PM »
yugi - have to say that even though the Dom is superfluous -> it is a fantastic board.  Just finished a paddle and it performed like a champ.  Super stable with the SIC 7.0 with no worries at all falling in.  Also tried the paddle wrist connector and that worked ok as well.  Not perfect but probs will use it.  Temp was 1C and wind about 10 kts with gusts to 15 hiding behind the point.  Super beautiful out there.  So serene.  The deep vee just cuts so clean compared to splashy surf noses.  No way a surf nose Rail 26.5 can keep up.
Fast is FUN!   8)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2017, 06:36:14 PM »
^ I’ve been on a Dominator a lot. Nice board, I hear you. Good allround. Have done downwinders too. Works actually very well.

Honestly, somewhere between 10-15 knots I think the Rail may begin to get a bit of an edge. If that forecast had actually materialised I’d probably rather have been on a Rail.

It’s all good. A downwind board is best in downwinds and is just fine for flats, a Dominator is best for flats and just fine for downwinders. You know what my priorities are and what I’m saying. Funnily, you probably get big wind more regularly than I do.

Nice Stunsail tack bend. Not a lot of people know that knot.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2017, 07:16:30 PM »
Actually the wind posted was not a forecast - but true windspeed taken just a few miles up the inlet in the pic - at a weather station location.  Where I was - the wind dissipates a bit but is still in open water.  Great in that you can duck and hide for cover but have only one chance.  You gotta paddle at 90 to the wind.

Yeah as a sailor the buntline is a fantastic knot I use all the time - second only to the bowline.  Being true to my 2017 resolution - am making it a point to ride all my boards instead of just the AS23.  So far so good.  My initial plan was to grab the AS23 - but the Dominator wanted to play in the waves today.  It actually was great fun - as I could completely relax and enjoy the ride and surroundings vs being on edge on the AS23.  ie. probs would not have taken the pics on the AS23.

That GTX drysuit has been the ticket.  No more concerns about getting cold and wet if I happened to get dunked.  And 100% completely sweat free.  Super happy about that - and now have major security with that paddle wrist connector.  So all is sorted and good for cold temps.  My friend with the Eradicator 25 quad setup saw me as I was starting out - and I think he said I was nuts to go out.  Haha.   ;D
Fast is FUN!   8)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 07, 2017, 08:37:34 PM »
yugi - here is a better pic of the waves out there.  It was not docile conditions.  I could only hold position into the wind for about 5 sec before being blown 90.  You can see the wind ripples.  There was a pretty high chance I could have dropped my cellphone.  I had to leave it splashing on the deck as I paddled to get the shot.  Awesome phone - as I was playing Pink Floyd the whole time paddling and while taking shots.  Haha.  :)
Fast is FUN!   8)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2017, 09:20:16 PM »
Eagle. Great to see some shots of your area. I've downwinded the Dominator as a rental in Long Island and was surprised how good it was.

Man have we had thread creep here, but all good stuff... so here's a shot of the run where this thread started at our 1st rendezvous point. 2 of us got up on the rocks with our boards to look for one paddler who had not turned up... a longer story, but worth a different post.. It turned out all okay but got us scared... And for Burchas, a picture of that SIC dugout for you in the foreground...
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: January 07, 2017, 10:07:43 PM »
Eagle. Great to see some shots of your area. I've downwinded the Dominator as a rental in Long Island and was surprised how good it was.

Man have we had thread creep here, but all good stuff... so here's a shot of the run where this thread started at our 1st rendezvous point. 2 of us got up on the rocks with our boards to look for one paddler who had not turned up... a longer story, but worth a different post.. It turned out all okay but got us scared... And for Burchas, a picture of that SIC dugout for you in the foreground...

Thanks for the teaser off-shore. Knowing you, I'm sure the dessert is coming real soon ;)
in progress...

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 08, 2017, 03:44:06 AM »

Thanks for the teaser off-shore. Knowing you, I'm sure the dessert is coming real soon ;)

Burchas... Ha... you may want to take a look at this....

SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: January 08, 2017, 12:13:38 PM »

Burchas... Ha... you may want to take a look at this....

Yes, saw that one making the rounds for a while. Is it on your list?
BTW, what's the width of the SIC? and how did it feel to you?

The SIC reminds me the pics PBill posted a long time ago
in progress...

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 13, 2017, 06:46:03 AM »
Burchas. I have not yet paddled the SIC dugout but will aim to give it a go when I'm next out with the guy who paddles it. I think it is 24" wide and I imagine it will be a little tricky for me!

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: January 13, 2017, 10:49:27 AM »
If this board is anything like mine, which looks like it is, at 14x24 and sitting 3" closer to the
water, I imagine you'll do fine based on how you rode my board. Keep us posted.
in progress...

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]