Author Topic: Which fin would be best?  (Read 7072 times)

mjb1959

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Which fin would be best?
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2017, 07:37:35 AM »
i am really new to sup. fyi
recently got "FCS II Fatboy PG" 10 inch fin.
the difference between this fin and the 8 inch dolphin fin that came with my "imagine surf icon inflatable"  is stunning!
biggest thing is i have to work harder to turn with the fat boy fin.
tracking straighter is tougher for me to evaluate, i have gotten better at paddling straight on the right side, but when i switch to the left results are not as good... not sure how much the fin affected straightness?

Larry2c

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2017, 09:16:33 AM »
As a novice at this paddling thing, I won't make a "do this not that" statement but looking at what some of the responses to my original question said, it will make a difference. However, through my own experience, trying to improve my paddling technique, paddling technique probably has as much or more impact on tracking. A while back I read something on this forum about being able to track straight while only padding from one side - if you're doing it right. I've never been able to achieve that but it has become my goal...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2017, 10:52:03 AM »
Changing paddling sides should be a choice rather than a necessity, so the best way to deal with a tracking issue is to just go out and paddle for a mile ONLY on one side. Then change sides and paddle ONLY on that side for the return mile. Repeat as necessary. You can stop and rest during these phases but whatever you do resist the temptation to change paddle sides.

It's a brutal drill but it works very quickly indeed. In just one afternoon you can go from changing sides every 6-9 strokes to being happy to do 13-20 a side quite naturally (in windless flat conditions). Good luck!

dns

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2017, 01:29:47 PM »
When you stroke on the right side weight your left foot. That will tend to turn the board to the right and offset the turning tendency.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2017, 01:38:38 PM »
true, but you'll always be more efficient to just learn to paddle straight.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2017, 09:40:32 PM »
I'm no stroke expert, but  I always paddle only on my left side when I'm surfing because I'm in a semi surf stance.  It just takes stroke modifications to steer.  Do what Area 10 suggests, you'll have it down in one or two sessions.   
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2017, 09:25:59 AM »
Considering you have them both, try 'em both out and you tell us! :D

mjb1959

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2017, 02:21:45 PM »
ok, after using the FCS II fatboy 10 inch fin for about 6 paddles,
 i switched back to the 8 inch dolphin style fin that came with my "imagine surf" inflatable sup.

HUGE difference, with the fatboy fin i felt much greater stability,
back to the dolphin fin today, i had to work much harder. not just to keep it straighter but somehow the board felt "bouncier".
so imo, the money i spent to upgrade the fin was way worth it! ymmv

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2017, 04:41:57 PM »
mjb - "biggest thing is i have to work harder to turn with the fat boy fin." and "HUGE difference, with the fatboy fin i felt much greater stability".  So the 10" Fatboy is harder to turn and has greater stability than the 8" OEM dolphin.  That kinda makes sense.  Were you able to feel any difference in speed potential btwn the 10" and 8"?  Sounds like the dolphin definitely was less stable and turned faster.

Generally you should be able to track just as straight on the right as the left.  Maybe have someone take a video as you approach and leave to chk your technique.  You can paddle on one side only -> but it does require some paddle stroke mechanics manipulation.

"not sure how much the fin affected straightness?"  Certain fins do affect straightness and tracking.  The fin on the bottom does track straighter and is more stable than the SIC 8.3 on the top.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

mjb1959

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2017, 05:44:55 PM »
Eagle,
i would say that the dolphin style fin was more agile.
the 10 inch fin allowed me to develop more speed.

i know my paddle technique needs to improve, when i read a post in the forum that said to go out and paddle just on one side and kinda figure it out, i took that to heart and have been dedicating some time in every trip to that.
 heading to Hawaii on vacation in February,
thinking about taking a lesson while i'm there

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2017, 06:08:41 PM »
mjb - I understand that some places that provide lessons will give you video clips to take home or download for reference.  We always take video to check technique in all sports we do.  Helps to improve tech dramatically.

Generally when I first head out I will paddle a hundred strokes on each side to warm up my technique.  Then paddle normal after that.

Do you think the speed increase was a function of better tracking and more stability with the bigger fin?
Fast is FUN!   8)

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/larry.w.allison
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2017, 04:55:40 PM »
Sorry if this is a double post - it looked like i got bumped off before it went out the first time and it isn't showing up so here goes...

I have searched a bit looking for info on fins and stability but nothing seems to hit the nail on the head for me so I'm just going to show a picture and ask. I'm going out tomorrow and I anticipate it will be windier than usual in the bay so plenty of chop. My SUP is an 11.0 Isle Flat Water Glide (didn't fully understand the FW designation when I bought it). I want to make the board as stable as possible and i have 2 fins. I've been using the Isle fin but as you can see, the other fin goes a couple inches deeper into the water but has a bit less total area.

Which one do you think would b more stable? I plan on trying them both but I just wondered what the experienced folks think about fin size & shape relative to stability. Thanks!

Picture won't show up for some reason - I'll get it to work somehow...

Larry, The Isle fin in that board is to shallow with poor lateral resistance, the black surf fin is to upright pivot fin shape that causes your board to become more unstable even with the added depth.

I would recommend the Allison Thresher 9" at 49 sq inch surface area in the bottom right hand corner of this pic for that board.
Mahalo, Larry
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 04:57:55 PM by ProBox-Larry »
Allison Race Fins

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2017, 06:43:26 PM »
An upright narrow dolphin like my orange hexcel SB Race 23 fin does seem to get kinda squirrelly at speed.  As well because of the depth seems to limit speed potential.  Does stall a little bit but is quite easy to correct.  Is a bit of a toss up btwn this and my SIC 8.3 fin for DW -> both are ok.  For AW the blue Gladiator Hybrid shape is quite good.  Even the black Elite if you want max tracking with good stability.  I use the Elite on my AS23 quite often for AW.

So if in the market for another AW fin.  There are many good choices if you want more stability.  Adding stability is pretty easy.  Even using the grey OEM JL Tracker adds a lot of stability.  Just depends what attributes you want vs the cons of a particular design.
Fast is FUN!   8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal