Author Topic: Going Ballistic  (Read 15846 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Going Ballistic
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2017, 09:55:23 PM »
I have another set of modified stealth on the way

Curious about these?

Nothing special about that. It just seems to me that the edges of the channel on this Blackfish
exceeds the 8 degrees insert Probox allows so I asked Larry to make me a twin stealth with
a built-in cant to compensate. In the past, installing the stealth twins, still kept the tail
lose and yet with this board I still get a bit of governed feeling and I suspect it's due to cant.

BTW, Infinity shipped the board with a 6 degrees insert and the first time I took it out it felt
like I was towing a dead body. Luckily, I have all the inserts and as soon as I switched to the
8 degrees the difference was huge. After switching between few center fins it still seemed
there is some drag factor so I'm getting to the bottom of that with this new set.
in progress...

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2017, 05:05:31 AM »
I should have my 24" back next week and I really want to start putting some miles on it. I would like to get to the point where I am comfortable on it in choppy water.
At 165 lbs and been a weak/slow paddler, I cannot help feeling that the 26" Blackfish requires a stronger paddler to be at its best.  I thing that it is a board better suited to a 185 lbs strong guy than me. It is great when water is really rough but by that point, I could as easily be on my downwind board....
If everything goes well with the 24" I will likely sell the 26".

I keep track of my paddling and while the definition of flat and Open is somewhat loose, I do try to get a sense of what I am doing with what.

I saw this on facebook and found it very interesting. It might be worth ditching some of the mediocre set ups and just testing the interesting ones so you can spend more time getting more runs in.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2017, 07:27:20 AM »
Nothing special about that. It just seems to me that the edges of the channel on this Blackfish
exceeds the 8 degrees insert Probox allows so I asked Larry to make me a twin stealth with
a built-in cant to compensate. In the past, installing the stealth twins, still kept the tail
lose and yet with this board I still get a bit of governed feeling and I suspect it's due to cant.
BTW, Infinity shipped the board with a 6 degrees insert and the first time I took it out it felt
like I was towing a dead body. Luckily, I have all the inserts and as soon as I switched to the
8 degrees the difference was huge. After switching between few center fins it still seemed
there is some drag factor so I'm getting to the bottom of that with this new set.

Got it. Thanks.
Yes I always wonder how they manage to make sure that the twins are exactly at 90 degree from horizontal.
With no stringer on the board even the placement of the central fin box is not necessarily super exact.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 07:59:11 AM by Luc Benac »
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2017, 07:45:41 AM »
I saw this on facebook and found it very interesting. It might be worth ditching some of the mediocre set ups and just testing the interesting ones so you can spend more time getting more runs in.

Hello Bryce,
Yes I have seen your post on my FB page.
I am not really doing a proper controlled testing for many reasons and in particular because I do not have a truly flat and protected water spot. I also will always paddle in waters subjected to tides, currents and to some degree wind, so when I try a set-up I also want it to be relevant to my conditions i.e. the perfect fastest setup on a protected pond might be the worst setup on a inlet with tide and wind and so on....

You are right that the possible combinations are somewhat daunting :-)

For each board with ventral forward,Blackfish 24" or Blackfish 26":

Twins options
Stealth (borrowed from a friend during the winter)
Elliptical
Small Blackfish
I discarded the Large Blackfish which are only for behemoth (borrowed from a friend during the winter)

Kick options
Small ventral
Tresher 6" (borrowed from a friend during the winter)
Stinger 6"

Single Fin with ventral options
Stinger 6"
Chopped Ninja
Dolphin Pivot Jr (47 sqi)
Dolphin Pivot (56 sqi)

Plus PonoBill is looking at a simple barrier between the twins and Burchas has even more fins than I do........ :-)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 07:53:46 AM by Luc Benac »
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal