Author Topic: Evidence of better performance when downsizing paddle?  (Read 2766 times)

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
Evidence of better performance when downsizing paddle?
« on: December 26, 2016, 09:18:12 AM »
Have any of y'all noticed and/or measured a significant increase (or decrease) in performance / race results after switching to a smaller paddle blade size?

I've been doing pretty well with a Riviera R8 Vantage or Riviera Bump 8.0 Paddle for two years, but I've ordered a smaller Bump 7.0, which I've tried and liked. The R8/8.0 are both ~110 in2, whereas the 7.0 is significantly smaller at 93 in2, but closer to what other racers my size (165 lbs) are using. 
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Evidence of better performance when downsizing paddle?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 10:15:45 AM »
You are not really asking the right question, but, Yes.

Progressed from well over 110 to 90 (and light) 5ish years ago. Then progressed to high aspect and more shaped blades and downsized again.

The main thing I progressed is technique. And yes, I'm definitely better each year.

Stick w the times. Blades are where to put your money. Smaller is possible w better technique.

At your weight, you could be a step behind. It definitely is a question of style and personal preference but you won't know until you try a few options. In order to make a better decision consider your options. With all due respect to Riviera, I'm not seeing many Riviera paddles among the top 10 racers. Just a hint.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 10:17:32 AM by yugi »

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 01:24:22 PM »
I recently got a new ZRE paddle with a 6.5" blade (80). Originally I'd been using a blade that was 7.8" (90?). When I first got the ZRE, I was tripping on how small it was and thought I may have gone too small. But when I took my first few strokes, I was pleasantly surprised. My time on this paddle has been a bit limited, but from my perspective I've noticed and felt an improvement in my stroke and speed. Unfortunately I've not been able to measure it digitally. I'm sure some of this is due to the ZRE paddle being far nicer than the paddle I was originally using, but I was amazed at the amount of catch it provided for such a tiny blade. I also haven't felt any slip and I've pushed really hard on it expecting some.

I need to give credit to Burchas on here for getting me on a ZRE paddle, but furthermore getting me to downsize considerably. Knowing that he was going to be getting on an even smaller blade, I felt fairly confident on the size recommendation. It also helped that I stumbled onto a video by Jim Terrell of QB about his new(est) formula for blade sizing. Based on his formula, 80-81 was the recommended size, so that further reinforced my decision.

The QB sizing formula really worked out well for me as a starting point and it gave me more confidence knowing that I'm now using a paddle more appropriate for me. I'm sure if I could have the opportunity to demo more paddles in array of sizes that my impression may change, but for now I'm content with this size. Here's the formula link...

http://supexaminer.com/2016/10/how-to-choose-your-sup-blade-size-insights-from-jim-terrell/#.WGGBkrGZOi5
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 01:27:53 PM »
I'm at least 10 lbs heavier than you and went from 100sqi to 75sqi over the past 2 years. Even at 75sqi i'm still progressing with speed.

I found it is just easier for me  to execute a better stroke with the smaller high-aspect blade
all while gaining better recovery times and saving my self from injuries.
in progress...

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 02:00:09 PM »
^ excellent executive summary.

Woah. Formula almost spot on.

I'm 1 sq in off. Dang!!!

warmuth

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 02:15:29 PM »
  Check out the Ke Nalu Mana thread in the gear section. A lot of people are finding better performance with a smaller blade. I just went from a 90 to an 82 and it is faster and physically less demanding.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 04:38:06 PM »
My Riviera Vantage R8.5 at 116 is perfect for DW and 2 mi up down runs.  Use that one all the time and is my preferred blade by far.  For 5 mile race speed I drop down to a 78 SB HA.  And for 10+ mile AW I use a 67 SB Enduro.  Zero pain and can go all day.  The 78 starts to get tiresome after 10 mi for me.  My cadence drops down quite a bit - and my technique goes to crap.

I find that for DW because you are already getting blown so fast doing not much but balancing -> a medium blade like the 78 does not grab enough water fast enough.  So going to a 116 was much better for me.  As well the wind throws your blade forward faster if it is bigger.  Haha.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 05:59:11 PM »
This is pretty well-trodden ground, there are a lot of people using much smaller blades, generally due to better technique and innovative blade design.  The biggest blade I'm using now is a Ke Nalu  Mana 90 and I'm pretty certain I'll be faster and catch more waves with an 82. I'm 6'2" 230#.

I surfed the Mana 90 hard today, paying attention to technique, paddling for shoulder-high beach break way outside the lineup, and I got about everything I went hard for. The performance was pretty amazing.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 12:42:54 PM »
Years ago remember using a Sawyer Race TSR while swapping with Luc.  Looked like a very small blade even though it was supposed to be a 95.  It felt just like a swizzle stick but the board was going as fast or faster than my 78.  So not sure about all these manufacturer area calculations.  As well tried his 95 Konihi with 100 flex and it felt like my shoulders were burning and would fall off.

So have figured what is best -> is to just use what works for me and not be concerned with what others use.  We are all so very much different.  Have also tried the QB V-Drive - Werner Trance etc etc.  Those were all ok but nothing special.  So basically no need to be concerned what Connor or Travis or Danny or Kai - like and use.  Just use whatever feels good to you.  But really -> this goes for most anything.

Just time yourself around a set 5 mile loop going race pace.  That works best for me.   ;)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 12:45:17 PM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 04:31:17 PM »
Konihis have a wicked catch if you plant them well. when my paddle technique had gone to crap the 95 felt fine, but now that I'm concentrating on digging deep and planting the blade the 95 feels like an anchor. The 84 is almost too big.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 05:36:57 PM »
No bs -> wicked is an understatement.  That blade and shaft combo was ridiculous.  Used that paddle for a few minutes and promptly came back - my traps were killing me.  The stiffest combo I have ever tried.  I literally could not make that thing slip.  It felt to me like the blade was planted in solid concrete.  And the shaft was made out of solid steel.  Haha.
Fast is FUN!   8)

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal