Author Topic: Do you ever wear sunglasses when SUP surfing? Maybe SeaSpecs.  (Read 9212 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Do you ever wear sunglasses when SUP surfing? Maybe SeaSpecs.
« on: December 21, 2016, 06:18:11 PM »
I'm feeling guilty, like I might be damaging my eyes, but I have always hated wearing sunglasses when I surf.  Water drops on them and fogging drive me crazy.  My wife is wanting to buy me some SeaSpecs for Christmas.  Have you ever worn them? 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Do you ever wear sunglasses when SUP surfing? Maybe SeaSpecs.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 09:11:50 PM »
No, but I think it might be a good idea.  This year was ear plugs maybe 2017 is the year for shades.

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 09:29:45 PM »
I'm feeling guilty, like I might be damaging my eyes, but I have always hated wearing sunglasses when I surf.  Water drops on them and fogging drive me crazy.  My wife is wanting to buy me some SeaSpecs for Christmas.  Have you ever worn them?

I developed a cataract in my right eye and had it removed (with Intraocular Lens now installed) at age 44, nine years ago...the only thing I can attribute it to is too much sun/glare exposure. I now wear SeaSpecs for every surf session. I've lost several pairs of SeaSpecs in the wash, however, at $25-$33 each it's no big deal. I've done several repeat orders and recommend them highly.  They do fog up occasionally, I'm going to try treating a pair with Rain-X next year to see if they clear better.

MAX

dns

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 10:39:12 PM »
Yes. I never go out without my SeaSpecs. Sun, wind, and getting blasted in the face by rain at 30 kts I love them. The water droplets are a non issue as they aren't in your field of view when you're focused in the distance, fogging OTOH, is kind of irritating but it doesn't happen all that often. On the rare occasion when I get fogging I just drop them around my neck and forget about it.  I've had them knocked off many times, but they float, so I've always managed to find them again within a minute or two.

Any minor irritations from wearing them are negligible when compared to fried eyes from UV, cataracts, and those ugly yellow growths that surfers commonly get.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 11:00:24 PM »
I wear prescription glasses / specs or shades when paddling, including in the surf. I use a "Spec Saver" tie that is made to float the glasses / specs / shades, and then have a bucket hat that has a chin strap. I find that the combination of the hat with chin strap and floating spec saver keeps the shades and hat on my head most of the time unless I have a major wipe out / go through the rinse cycle, then I've always found them when they come off, except once when I wiped out kitesurfing. If you go this route try to find a very bright colored spec saver that is really REALLY tight to put on the arms of the specs. Some of them are very easy to put on and will become detached in the surf..
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 11:01:16 PM »
Sea Specs are pretty nice. Get the grey lenses.  They also have clear lenses for overcast.

I liked mine, but lost two pairs, and lose my glasses so often I just go through the bins at Goodwill until I find some that have the right shade and fit.  I have about three pair on ready reserve for a few bucks apiece.  Tie a shoelace to them and they are ready to go. 

Although the UV protection is nice, they also back off the glare and irritation from sea spray, not to mention you have a barrier for pokes.

I wear something on my eyes every session, unless they get blown off and I want to stay out for a while.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 05:27:11 AM »
I just started wearing prescription glasses 6 months ago. I have a pair of prescription Maui Jims but I won't wear them for surfing $$$$, so just trying to see the wave coming is a pain in the ass. I am going to investigate the potential of contacts for me. Acuvue brand contacts offer protection from uv light. Anyone surfing with contacts?
http://www.acuvue.ca/uv-effects
Bunch of old shit

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 06:36:28 AM »
AAP..  I'm blind as a bat ..Day-1.  25yrs ago I'd sit in the lineup and could only tell when a wave formed because the water got 'darker'. FF to the early 2000s - I photoshopped my Rx in my daughters contact's script and been using 'daily wears' purchased online ever since - the same batch. I found external glasses a problem kiting as I had a tendency to 'explode' occasionally ..nothing stays on your face and there was the nagging fear of loose things so close to your eyes.

I've been buying glasses from Zenni Optical for about 5yrs vs the criminal cabal that operates out of Dr's offices and the mall.  One of my employees was pleased she only had to pay like $200 out of a $600 bill for glasses. (likely <$100 at Zenni)   My stay-dry wife has three pair of MJs (very nice) but I like Zenni for script sunglasses also. I don't get the runs if I misplace $50 glasses....

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 06:38:21 AM »
I also wear prescription glasses, trifocals. I wear an old outdated pair of prescription trifocals for when I'm flat water paddling/cruising to go along with my hat which I also wear. I have some floaties attached to the arms of the glasses just in case I take an unexpected dip in the water and they come off my face along with the hat. The floaties will float the glasses so they won't sink. The floaties are lime green in color so they are easy to spot floating on the surface of the water.

However, when I'm surfing my Hammer, I don't wear any glasses or hat. Without my trifocals my vision is blurry, but trifocals aren't cheap so I put up with the blurry vision when I'm sup surfing. Just last week my wife bought me a plain old pair of wrap around non-prescription sunglasses at Walgreens and another pair of lime green floaties to help me with the glare when I'm sup surfing. I'm going to try them out next March (2017) when the water in the surf is much warmer since my comfort level is around 66 degrees F water temperature since I don't like to wear a wetsuit.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 08:54:58 AM »
Even tho my prescription is for bifocals, for sun glasses I have them made for distance only.  That saves $$$.

tbsurf

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 02:22:30 PM »
I've been wearing Sea Specs for decades for windsurfing and surfing/SUP.  You get used to the water drops, which can be reduced by using Rain X (made for car windshields).  I wear the gray lenses in regular sunlight, and the amber in low light, fog, overcast conditions.  My optometrist said wearing shades greatly reduces the chance of developing eye problems.

beached

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 03:21:12 PM »
Surf Shades offers a $10 kit for never losing your sunglasses, which is basically just some elastic thingies that i tie to my sunglass strap and wrap/strap around my neck. kiting and SUPing, haven't lost a pair. they might fall off your face, but never off your body. i don't like wearing sunglasses out there, but on bright sunny days, it helps a lot.  i use Glogglz, and the drops can be annoying if i fall often enough.

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 04:23:11 PM »
I've been using NexStraps with my Smith Polarized glasses now for 3 seasons for kiting and SUP. I've had some fairly hard wipeouts when kiting and these have yet to fail me. It's the best $12 I've ever spent and it gives me the freedom to use glasses that fit my face best. No more being locked into specific brands and/or limited fit options.
For those with prescription sunglass, they're a no-brainer. Might be hard to find them since they're sold out on their site, but definitely worth checking out.
http://nexstepproducts.myshopify.com/products/nexstrap
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2016, 07:55:29 PM »
SeaSpecs are supposed to float, too, but I could never find them when they came off.  The ocean is going to take what the ocean wants.  The colored NexStraps might be better.

Maybe a strap that shoots a flare when they come off.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2016, 10:01:06 PM »
I just started wearing prescription glasses 6 months ago. I have a pair of prescription Maui Jims but I won't wear them for surfing $$$$, so just trying to see the wave coming is a pain in the ass. I am going to investigate the potential of contacts for me. Acuvue brand contacts offer protection from uv light. Anyone surfing with contacts?
http://www.acuvue.ca/uv-effects

Started wearing glasses about 4 yrs ago.  Most of the time I'm on the water in the morning where, pretty as it is, the sun is low and pretty strong in my eyes.  Was never a regular sunglass wearer but started because my eyes were getting fried.  Really didn't want to spend the $$ on prescription sunglasses so started using disposable contacts like these with UV protection and then some cheap sunglasses over them ($45/dozen online).  Didn't care if they got scratched or lost.  Then I tried on some Maui Jims and wished I hadn't--they're awesome but $$$.  Didn't want to wear them on the water given my habit of losing them, but got a good strap and now I wear them for ocean paddles--but never in the surf.  Most mornings I don't wear the contacts, but my vision isn't that bad.  I do prefer having them in for surfing.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard