Author Topic: Attach a foil to anything  (Read 10869 times)

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
Attach a foil to anything
« on: December 19, 2016, 01:04:27 AM »
Found this on the web , pretty amazing to connect a Foil to your Sup . Forget the Tuttle box. I'm nothing to do with these guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCrBuRaSZRc
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 01:12:57 AM by Piros »
Von Piros Productions
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Attach a foil to anything
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 05:01:56 AM »
The Zone Will it Foil? contest is now open. 

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 05:55:49 AM »
^ OK!

So the next question is: how hard is it to unstick the Foilmount? You know, so once I've foiled my fridge door so I can stick it on something else.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 06:13:30 AM »
Not that I know anything about it, but I would think there would be a lot of stress on a foil mount.  Are these just glued on, if so,  it seems like it would come off.   Even if it stayed attached, a lot would be dependent on how well the glass job sticks to the foam.  I would at least add a significant glass patch under it.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 06:19:43 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 06:31:23 AM »
Not that I know anything about it, but I would think there would be a lot of stress on a foil mount.  Are these just glued on, if so,  it seems like it would come off.   Even if it stayed attached, a lot would be dependent on how well the glass job sticks to the foam.  I would at least add a significant glass patch under it.

Yep.

SIC had enough problems [with a batch] just getting the glass to stick to the foam without a foil levering it away. Having seen that I wondered the same thing.

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 08:11:08 AM »
Might get expensive when your foil and mast lever off and sink into the deep blue. :o

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 09:00:11 AM »
It's a great idea. I might have gone for a larger area, but I suspect that works very well. Undoubtedly best on boards with a more substantial bottom. And no, it's not coming off.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 09:53:19 AM »
Since it's not coming off, that board is not much good for anything else. Then there is the issue of finding a foil with those mounts that will work on a SUP.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 12:03:15 PM »
I would be very worried about it delamination, especially with a kite, I can also see it pressing in one side and pulling on the outher. Boards are not designed for the glass to take these sort of loads and will certainly void any warrantee. The pest way to get anything like this or things like go pro mounts of is to use a pice of braded wire trace and pull it under it and cheers wire it off. The only thing I would trust this on is perhaps a wakeboard/kite board.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 12:50:22 PM »
It's a great idea. I might have gone for a larger area, but I suspect that works very well. Undoubtedly best on boards with a more substantial bottom. And no, it's not coming off.

Even if the glue holds, wouldn't there be a problem with delamination from the stress to a board not designed or glassed to have a foil on the bottom?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 01:02:46 PM »
My thoughts are that the 3M can be pried off if you want.  And especially over time -> with wear and tear submerged.  Once any water gets under - it could start to slowly peel under stress from a corner.  As well - thought that the board was never designed to take point loading like that.  Without any reinforcing -> the board may start to compress and delam.  Something to maybe think about anyways.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 01:28:17 PM »
My thoughts are that the 3M can be pried off if you want.  And especially over time -> with wear and tear submerged.  Once any water gets under - it could start to slowly peel under stress from a corner.  As well - thought that the board was never designed to take point loading like that.  Without any reinforcing -> the board may start to compress and delam.  Something to maybe think about anyways.
Agree, might should work up some sort of backup, like maybe a leash.  If they break off, I doubt a foil would float.  Awful expensive offering to King Neptune. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 02:06:16 PM »
Zoo - for sure that would not work on my Dominator.  You can easily dent it on the bottom with your thumb.  And sometimes the dent happens by just looking at it.  Haha.  So the bottom would eventually delam plus the 3M would probs unstick because the bottom is not flat anymore.  Seems to me -> best to get a foil and board designed for that purpose.  And not simply use an add-on like this.  Too many variables not addressed and sorted.  And yeah - losing your foil to King Neptune would be a major WTF moment after a little wipeout.   ;D >:(
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 09:20:02 PM »
Production boards, not customs.

But why is everyone doing Tuttles? Seems like the 2 track method is way better. Are those standard longboard tracks or something custom? This seems like a far more stable mounting system could be made by putting 2 tracks in high density foam, no?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 09:29:29 PM by surfcowboy »

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 09:56:21 PM »
After learning to foil on the liquid force board I wanted to try a lighter board. I had this lightweight custom strapless board that I had used years ago that was collecting dust. I routed out some foam and glued in some high density foam. Then I routed out and installed 2 mast tracks. Glassed to taste and wa la. Best riding foilboard I have had to date. The lighter board really lowered the swing weight and felt lively compared to the LF board.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal