Author Topic: Attach a foil to anything  (Read 2881 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Attach a foil to anything
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2016, 01:55:38 AM »
That proves it.  Stand Up paddlers can kick Kiteboarder's asses at pull-ups.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Ponohouse is for sale. Great house but it's time for new adventures
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2016, 09:38:55 AM »
Yeah, the video shows that it will work fine on the right board. The most significant proof is that little kids really like to climb. Watching the video and seeing the bottom of that very stout board flex inward at the bottom and out at the top, I'm thinking "do that on any SUP board I own and you'll be on your ass".

A light SUP board has a remarkably small amount of material, and just enough strength to do what it was designed to do. You need a mongo board to use the mount reliably as is. Even something in the range of 35 pounds for a ten footer would probably not be enough.

It's still an easy path to a foilboard. You could add three or four layers of glass and carbon to the bottom of a board as a tapered, board width, quarter length patch. A flat patch is an easy layup. The end result would be as strong or stronger than the typical mount which is two fin boxes. Still not as strong as a tuttle, but I think most foil bases use the fin box mounting, not a tuttle. And if the board you mount a tuttle into is really flimsy, the tuttle is going to delam too.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 09:47:53 AM by PonoBill »
Ponohouse is for sale: http://www.ponohouse.com
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2016, 02:03:52 AM »
Pono, taking DW's advice and keeping the bottom flat, you could bag in a nice piece of 1/8" birch ply and sandwich that up for a post mount. That'd get you a nice mount point if done well. Hell, make the whole bottom out of it, it's a foil board, just give it a Wavestorm-like down rail all around. Hmmm...

* Recent Posts

* Recent Topics