Author Topic: Kai Lenny Foil Open Ocean SUP & Prone Surfing  (Read 19437 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Kai Lenny Foil Open Ocean SUP & Prone Surfing
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2016, 02:46:51 PM »
There used to be a backdoor way to post Facebook videos that didn't require conversion. I just looked for it and it's gone. They closed a mousehole in the walled garden. Now how about doing something about all the spam and fake news.

I'm thinking this is a good project for a deep learning system. Discern truth from falsehood. I don't see a lot of alternative approaches that will work in the long term.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 02:50:17 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2016, 04:33:53 PM »
There used to be a backdoor way to post Facebook videos that didn't require conversion. I just looked for it and it's gone. They closed a mousehole in the walled garden.

It seems the normal way to post/embed videos doesn't work with Facebook videos.

However with wordpress there is a plugin that makes it possible (at least until facebook makes a change and breaks the code). I would guess there might be way for any forum to ad the same ability to embed/post facebook videos, including the standupzone forum?
Here is the plugin:
https://wordpress.org/plugins/facebook-video-embed

Here is an example of embedding Kai's latest foil facebook video:
https://clayisland.com/downwinders
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2016, 05:56:38 PM »
For the benefit of the reader --> Facebook and Play the video

Save the File to your computer then Upload to Youtube
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 06:12:03 PM by Beasho »

TonyGring

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2016, 09:36:06 AM »
I would expect a foil board to anchor more than a windsurfing rig.

Unfortunately it's the opposite. You have to grab it quick, or it's gone like a motor is under it.
Have you seen that yourself?
I’m not very experienced. But I’ve being kite hydrofoiling for 3 months now, and when I fall (very often) the board just stays there drifting slowly downwind, almost like a normal kiteboard. It doesn’t point downwind and acelerate fast like a sup does, and never flies off the water. Of course I have my kite to help me get back to the board, but I think I wouldn’t have any problem swimming back to it, and I’m not Kai Lenny. Disclaimer: I never foiled in more than 25 knots of wind, so I can’t say if the board behaves differently in more wind.

If you kite foil, then you know the speed of drift I'm talking about. With a non foiled kiteboard it takes time to body drag back to your board. With a foiled kiteboard, you usually body drag down wind to catch your board or it comes right to you, but never do you have to body drag upwind. Drift is faster than board with no foil. That's all I'm saying. Foil does not act like anchor, it does opposite, it helps drift. That's all I'm trying to correct here. It's not an anchor.

This ^^^^^^^^^^

I've kite foiled for two years now. Been regular kiting since 2000. Foil boards do NOT anchor. In any wind at all, they will orient to a nose downwind position and and start moving with the wind very quickly.  I found out the hard way that if you're separated by more than 6-8' and don't have the kite to drag down to board ( kite crashed in water )  You will not be able to swim fast enough to get the board. Foils are hyper- efficient in the water.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal