Author Topic: One minute of Downwinding - Vids  (Read 5092 times)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
One minute of Downwinding - Vids
« on: December 14, 2016, 07:40:35 PM »
After getting the new GoPro Hero 5 set up with the Sail Systems 3rd Person Mount, I'm going to put together a few vids of different boards using this system, entitled "One Minute of Downwinding XXXXX", where XXXXX is the board being ridden. I'm going to try and downwind as many boards as I can in the next 12 months by begging and borrowing mid-run. The beauty of the Sail System's set up is it is easy to move from one board to another in the middle of the ocean.

The One minute will be one continuous minute without slow-mo or any other enhancement or music and try to not only show the board on a glide or two, but also the in-between bits.. which are sometimes more interesting (eg slowing down to wait for right moment to paddle, missing a link, etc).. i.e. warts and all.. as I'm no pro..

Here is the first one. The SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC. This is one is more of a Downbreezer, but there are a few glides to be had..

https://youtu.be/gJRjFQeLC7Y
Sail System 3rd Person Mount + GoPro Hero 5
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 07:47:22 PM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: One minute of Downwinding - Vids
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 06:55:37 AM »
Nice video. I'll be looking forward to seeing mor of your "one minute of DW" videos. BTW, your downbreezer waves look just like our "everday" type of waves we have in the open Gulf of Mexico off the upper Texas coast where I sup paddle/surf.

Thanks for sharing.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 11:16:27 AM »
Great concept. I look forward to it.

RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 11:54:14 AM »
This would be very helpful off-shore. Extensive traveling schedule will help to support this
seires. Are you up for it?
in progress...

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 11:01:55 AM »
I'd say: Cool angle and pray for wind.

But then I wonder, if there was wind, and you did get some killer take offs, what's going to happen when you step back into surf stance? Maybe it'd be fun to see the waves from the side.

You thought about that?

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 02:26:17 PM »
Okay... well the first vid kinda sucked as it really did not show the wind.. and it was a lightish day.. so here is a bit more wind on a SICMaui Bullet 17v1, with a little bit of tiller action mid-way

https://youtu.be/_nB_DOwfSWo
Sail Systems 3rd Person Mount + GoPro Hero 5
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 04:29:12 PM »
Wow, that camera system is almost exactly like a system I'm working on.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 08:44:10 PM »
The second video really shows how windy it was. Also, nice camera angle shots. Seems like the camera is off to one side and I like it. Shows how you steer the tiller (for the want of a better word) with your foot. Since the shot is not overhead looking straight down on the board, the off angle really shows the rocker of the Bullet's nose.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 07:23:56 AM »
I'd say: Cool angle and pray for wind.

But then I wonder, if there was wind, and you did get some killer take offs, what's going to happen when you step back into surf stance? Maybe it'd be fun to see the waves from the side.

You thought about that?

Haha... I've been working on my surf stance for 2+ years ever since DJ pointed my parallel stance out in one of my early vids... Old habits die hard, but I am getting better. The first Vid was in downbreezer conditions, and so I probably need to reshoot that when we have better wind. The second vid with the SICMaui Bullet 17v1 had some fairly decent wind, and I'm putting together a longer vid of the whole run, (called "The Port Shelter Express")...

Typically, Hong Kong had its first Downwind race today on this run, and it has been windy all week, and today, it died... We ran the race anyhow in mild downbreeze conditions, and I ended up getting 5th place on the 27" wide Ace after passing 4 people on 24 - 26" wide boards who all fell several times in the last km due to a big ground swell from the left side and backwash from the right. Highly satisfying to see a wider board beat narrower ones ;D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 07:56:37 AM »
There's nothing wrong with a parallel stance. It gives you more choice for how you'll move when you get a bump and moves weight forward to make getting into bumps easier. I tend to stay parallel as much as possible, but some of that preference is just personal. 17 foot boards pitch slowly, it's more important to me to keep my knees stable, given that they suck toads and can collapse without warning. 

I assumed Yugi was talking about camera angle.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 08:35:35 AM »
Cool concept Robert.  Thanks for sharing.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 08:03:46 PM »
Great concept offshore... good way to look at a number of boards in a way that's easy to see how they work.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2016, 05:41:52 AM »
So here is another Unlimited board. The SICMaui F16v3 in some fairly large off-shore conditions off the South Coast of Lamma Island in Hong Kong on a run we call "The South Lamma Highway". It was a grey day, and we had the Strong Monsoon Signal in force where the mean wind speed is above 40kph / 24.8mph / 21.6 knots. The GoPro and the low light, totally flatten out the magnitude of the day, but the ground swell was impressive, and catching it was hard.

https://youtu.be/kluxTaot3G4
Sail Systems 3rd Person Mount + GoPro Hero 5

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2016, 01:11:46 AM »
So The Northern Monsoon arrived this morning early with sustained winds of around 50kph / 31mph /27knots and we had a crew of 7 of us and one Surfski head out on the Port Shelter Express run (10km / 6.2miles). This one minute is taken just before our rendevous stop as I was following one of our crew on the custom SIC 14' that Kenny Kaneku won the 2nd International Hong Kong SUP Race earlier on in the year..

At the beginning of the minute I hold back for a while to wait for him to get back up on his board (which he does amazingly fast).. The rest is the Ace on the verge on being uncontrollable... As many have said, in these conditions a SIC / Surf style board would be my preference, but still a lot of fun..

https://youtu.be/hnRfAj8Qtm8
Sail Systems 3rd Person Mount + GoPro Hero 5 Black

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2016, 06:07:29 AM »
Seems like great conditions OS! I hope you took a closer look at that SIC dugout.
is there an upcoming 1 minute downwind with that board coming up? Probably could
use more than just 1 minute but I'll settle for that :)
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal