Author Topic: Came within inches of being killed on my eBike today  (Read 7087 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Came within inches of being killed on my eBike today
« on: December 14, 2016, 06:00:11 PM »
I work at a school that is located in a residential neighborhood. I was going up the street arriving at my school doing about 19 or 20 MPH. The driveway into the parking lot is located on a sharp right curve, that is so sharp it's a blind curve. Stuck out my left arm to signal I was making a left turn into the school, started to make the left and, as I began my turn, felt a need to shoulder check to my left. At the last second before it was too late, I saw a lady in a small car accelerate and pull onto the wrong side of the street to pass me on the on the left in the blind curve. She was probably doing 35 in a residential zone on the wrong side of the street, by a school and she had a small child in the back seat.

I thank the Lord because always look over my shoulder, saw her, straightened out and hit my brakes, managed to stop and stay upright and pull just out of her way. As that was happening, I noticed her face took on a look of horror, and she barely kept her car on the road as she skidded to a stop...right where I would have been. If I hadn't seen her, I would be dead. Being broadsided on a bike by a car going 35 would have surely killed me. I screamed at her "You idiot!!" and she sped off. I have felt shaky all day now.

It's funny how going 19 or 20 in a residential area, by a school, irritates some people. That's a reasonable, safe speed when children are present, but it's too slow for some car driving morons. I wonder if they see a bicycle and don't make the connection that it's an eBike and it's going fast. Maybe they think "Stupid bicycle, all bikes are slow, must get around him." And don't realize that we are all going a reasonable speed.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 06:23:34 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Came within inches of being killed on my eBike today
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 06:14:08 PM »
Phew. Nice catch.

Don't mean to lecture you but:
always look over your shoulder when on a bike on a road. Make that your take home lesson and work on always doing it.

Always.

I wonder if they see a bicycle and don't make the connection that it's an eBike and it's going fast. Maybe they think "Stupid bicycle, all bikes are slow, must get around him." And don't realize that we are all going a reasonable speed.

Well, there is that, certainly. Just never presume anyone sees you. Key word, anyone. You will find that the even greater danger comes from pedestrians, motorcycles and other bikers.

I do a lot of urban biking. More often than not I'm dressed in black, at night or dusk, with no lights. I just presume I can't be seen. Always.

Oh, another thing. It's that last turn at your destination or home which is the most dangerous. Why? Because it becomes routine and you become complacent. Always stay in attack mode. All systems on full alert. For that reason I ride a little faster always. Helps keep you on your toes.

I don't think of it as urban biking. It's urban warfare and my bike is my urban assault vehicule.

I don't yell at idiots any more. I presume everyone is an idiot . If I have a close call I get mad at myself and make sure I learn a lesson out of it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 06:29:08 PM by yugi »

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 06:22:15 PM »
Phew. Nice catch.

Don't mean to lecture you but always look over your shoulder when on a bike on a road. Make that your take home lesson and work on always doing it.

Always.

I wonder if they see a bicycle and don't make the connection that it's an eBike and it's going fast. Maybe they think "Stupid bicycle, all bikes are slow, must get around him." And don't realize that we are all going a reasonable speed.

Well, there is that, certainly. Just never presume anyone sees you. Key word, anyone. You will find that the even greater danger comes from pedestrians, motorcycles and other bikers.

I do a lot of urban biking. More often than not I'm dressed in black, at night or dusk, with no lights. I just presume I can't be seen. Always.

Oh, another thing. It's that last turn at your destination or home which is the most dangerous. Why? Because it becomes routine and you become complacent. Always stay in attack mode. All systems on full alert. For that reason I ride a little faster always. Helps keep you on your toes.

I don't ever yell at idiots any more. I presume everyone is an idiot and if I have a close call I get mad at myself.

I always look, that's why I'm alive.  No lecture needed, thank you. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 06:35:43 PM »
Oh, sorry. I see you did write that further down. I misinterpreted …

Stuck out my left arm to signal I was making a left turn into the school, started to make the left and, as I began my turn, felt a need to shoulder check to my left. At the last second
 …

Good you do.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 06:41:12 PM »
Oh, sorry. I see you did write that further down. I misinterpreted …

Stuck out my left arm to signal I was making a left turn into the school, started to make the left and, as I began my turn, felt a need to shoulder check to my left. At the last second
 …

Good you do.

No prob, thanks.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 06:47:10 PM »
In cases like that, while approaching a left turn I'd move into the center or far left side of the lane. I'd rather piss someone off then get run over. Glad your ok.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 06:52:39 PM »
Yeah, me too.  Better to tick them off than to get hit.  That's why she had to go onto the wrong side of the road to pass me; I was in the middle and it was a residential street, not a highway.  Stupid woman!
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 08:47:34 PM »
The fundamental problem with riding bikes--either pedal, electric, or motorcycle--is that drivers are stupid, careless, and self-absorbed. All of them. Even your mom, your wife, your kids, and you. People get in a car with minimal training, turn off their heads, and drive at speeds that are beyond their ability to regain control in the event of an incident. They endanger other people routinely because they are selfishly distracted or rushing. Everyone. All the time.

I'm in California for the next few months, the center of gravity for driving solipsism. I'm happy to be in my big F350, watching people driving at 80mph on a crowded highway, having multiple near misses because they were looking at their phone. Or darting across four lanes of fast moving traffic to make the freeway exit they could have either anticipated or gone to the next exit and returned. But no, they'll risk other people's lives to make that important exit so they can go sit at Starbucks.

They think they are excellent drivers because they are willing to go absurdly fast on a freeway. They aren't. They suck. If you haven't driven a car on a racetrack at the true edge of control, then you suck at driving. I don't know any good race car drivers that drive dangerously on the street.

Diane rented a car and I was glad to see it's a Volvo. I hate Volvos. I call them "cars that are built so you can survive the accident you caused". But here...

I can't wait for driverless cars.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 08:48:42 PM »
Glad you're OK.  There's a bike version of standupzone in Portland that I started reading to see how hardcore pdx bikers think.  I've become quite sympathetic to cyclists, even understanding of the aggro ones.  People describe near-misses (and some non-misses) like yours daily.  Every week or two there's a new pedestrian or cyclist death here to discuss.  Recently there were two in one day on the same street.  Cycling in town is dangerous.  Riding like you're invisible to all drivers is a smart idea.

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 08:53:41 PM »
Every time I see a very old person die a natural death, I marvel at how anyone survives all the potential mayhem for an entire life. Simply amazing.

Zoo, your close call, is how it gets done..... a lot of awareness and..... a lot more luck.
Your Karma had your back  :)

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 06:18:31 PM »
If you haven't driven a (*rally)car on a (*Stage) racetrack at the true edge of control, then you suck at driving. I don't know any good race car drivers that drive dangerously on the street.

Truth. (modified a bit for my personal experience)  :)
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 06:23:27 PM »
Is driving with your eyes closed "the true edge of control"?
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 08:09:44 PM »
People get in a car with minimal training,

we live in a system where the hardest part of the driving test.....is parking the car......

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 12:31:13 AM »
Just a little rant.  I used to pick up my daughter from a school bus stop along a 35mph street surrounded by a neighborhood.  Sometimes I'd be waiting up to 15 min for her and had a nice view of the passing traffic.

By far the leading speeder and tailgater, the mothers with kids on board. Terrible.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2016, 05:39:09 AM »
Yep, I see that too.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal