Author Topic: Sometimes you just have to cruise.... because yo don't have a choice.  (Read 3217 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Yesterday I got out and smelled the roses (so to speak). No waves or wind, just still flat ocean. I did some reef, shore and cave exploring, which is rare around the normally turbulent Dana Point Headlands shoreline. Here are some snaps from my GoPro.

Included Standing Dan's new Infinity long board/ Simmonds / Tomo ? ? Looks fun.. I just ran into Dan and SanO Sup at the end of my cruise.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Sometimes you just have to cruise.... because yo don't have a choice.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 01:15:49 PM »
Looks like a beautiful cruise day.  Dan's got himself a scaled down version of my longboard sup.  I use it all the time still after 3 years, just because, well, it's fun in mush.

How far was your total voyage?

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 01:42:46 PM »
Looks awesome TD.... that's my kinda paddle session!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Sometimes you just have to cruise.... because you don't have a choice.
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 02:54:48 PM »
Pretty cool. I did a seven-mile flatwater paddle around Canyon Lake this morning myself. Tried to keep my speed between 4.5 and 4.7 with a stroke rate of 35. Weird drill, I know, but it was kind of fun. came home and collapsed. I think your run was more fun.

So what is the deal with surf in SoCal this weekend? Surfline and MSW show some kind of windstorm on Friday, and then pretty good size and light wind on Saturday--but only Saturday. I might get up at oh-dark-thirty and head for SanO. I suppose it will be packed if the forecast is for real.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 03:27:29 PM »
Suppose to be clearing out, but brisk on Saturday. It may clean-up by then and be fun, or sea sick lumpy disorganized crap? I doubt it will be busy. Then again everyone is hard up for surf right now. I'll be in Sacramento watching our San Clemente H.S. try to make history and win the Div 1a State CIF football championship. We're not just surfing champions...

BTW, we beat the Huntington Beach football team last week to advance to the state championship. How appropriate is that?
It's not overhead to me!

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 07:00:35 AM »
Looks like you had a nice leisurely cruise. I love leisurely cruises because I enjoy them so much. I spend a lot of my time on these types of cruise just enjoying the scenery.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

SD Surfer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 08:47:02 AM »
Nice... I love that kind of cruising!

Shooting that gap looks like it could be sketchy with some surge.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 10:11:30 AM »
Suppose to be clearing out, but brisk on Saturday. It may clean-up by then and be fun, or sea sick lumpy disorganized crap? I doubt it will be busy. Then again everyone is hard up for surf right now. I'll be in Sacramento watching our San Clemente H.S. try to make history and win the Div 1a State CIF football championship. We're not just surfing champions...

BTW, we beat the Huntington Beach football team last week to advance to the state championship. How appropriate is that?
Good luck up there. (Sam Darnold's dad Mike and I were pretty good friends in college.  It's been fun watching him at USC.  He's a helluva lot quicker than his dad  ;) ) San Clemente is becoming quite the program, with back to back deep playoff runs.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 10:44:05 AM »
That's cool Jim. SCHS has been putting out some good quarterbacks in successive years. Travis Wilson (Utah), Sam Darnold (USC), and now Jack Sears (USC next year).

Here was the ECO side of my cruise.. plus my board shorts were full of plastic bags I scooped up.

It's not overhead to me!

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 10:50:18 AM »
That looks great, TD, at least you have good cruising weather.  I wonder what the scuba divers see in the reefs around Santa Cruz.  Probably all kinds of crap, since I have lost tons of sunglasses and a surf watch, and my neighbor has lost two GoPros.

Don't accidentally scoop up a jelly fish instead of a plastic bag and stuff it in your shorts.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 12:04:29 PM »
Nice... I love that kind of cruising!

Shooting that gap looks like it could be sketchy with some surge.

SD, Nice cave and creek exploring. There were a few other gaps I thought about paddling through. After watching them for a few minutes I saw they drained out to a nasty looking crevice less than the width of my board. The one I paddled through gave me a little rush because of the surge. 
It's not overhead to me!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal