Author Topic: Cool new Foil surfing video  (Read 7603 times)

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
Cool new Foil surfing video
« on: December 12, 2016, 11:27:26 PM »

Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Cool new Foil surfing video
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 03:29:50 AM »
The wifes response to this was 'you really need to get one of those' unfortunately she wasn't so keen to add it on to my christmas list.

Great footage though and looks so much fun i can't wait to get my hands on one!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 05:02:20 AM »
This really makes me want to get a drone.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 02:00:54 PM »
Funny that you wished for the drone and not the foil.

I’m thankful for a good computer so I can watch the video, wishing for neither the drone or the foil.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 03:35:51 PM »
I feel blasphemous saying this but Laird is looking old and creaky.

Given what Kai has been doing, without a paddle, there is almost no comparison.

Remember that we SUP because it is advantageous to get into waves EARLY & WITHOUT using:

1) Our tiny weak hands
2) a Sail
3) a Kite or
4) a Jetski

Laird and company clearly DID NOT NEED THE PADDLE when on the wave.  If you can get into the waves with A FOIL and a SHORTBOARD, assuming our aging arms can handle it, then I say Jettison the Paddle and start over. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px88XsARHwc&t=3s
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 04:11:41 PM by Beasho »

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 06:07:22 AM »
Thanks Robert.... it was nice to see a foil surfing a "regular" wave (not ocean or tiny unbroken)

Beasho, in this video Zane makes the the case for a paddle..... it looks natural and useful.
I can imagine, with the inherent fine balance needed on a foil, that a paddle would be a helpful tool for more ordinary folks. (seems a longer paddle would be better)
IMO a paddle would be great paddling back out and moving around the line-up as well.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 07:46:00 AM »
I seem to recall that Laird is having some hip issues--or maybe it was knees. He's 52 I think--even the gods age.

I'd want a paddle, going to be a long paddle back out on your belly, dragging that foil. They look to paddle pretty well as a SUP though. And a balance pole that's available to add power and direction whenever you drop back down looks critical. Any bigger people are going to need that extra capability--we're always going to be marginal on lift.

One important thing about foils is how speed dependant lift is. Velocity is a squared element in the lift equation. double the velocity and you get four times the lift. Any current kite foiler will tell you that things go all pear-shaped when velocity gets too high for the foil. With the large surface area and super high foil coefficient needed to lift heavy dudes, we're going to be popping out of the water a lot. One more reason fat guys like me are probably better served with a surface-piercing foil that loses area as it rises.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 07:54:45 AM »
@Robert

Nice foil surfing video. The clear water really was nice especially how easily it was to see the red foils under the boards.

On a side note. The foiling sups looked short. I wish sometimes the equipmentin these videos would be listed with their pertinent info such as the length of the board, width, thickness and liters. I guess I'm nitpicking, but details like this are important (to me).
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 08:57:00 AM »
This really makes me want to get a drone.

Yeah this is what really got me.  The follow section where the drone came in behind the rider was spectacular.  This 'pilot' really knew how to 'fly'.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 08:59:02 AM »
Here's another Laird foil video that may change your mind. He'd surfing  middles in Kauai.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2016, 09:04:22 AM »
Same as original post

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2016, 01:53:44 PM »
Thanks Robert.... it was nice to see a foil surfing a "regular" wave (not ocean or tiny unbroken)

Beasho, in this video Zane makes the the case for a paddle..... it looks natural and useful.
I can imagine, with the inherent fine balance needed on a foil, that a paddle would be a helpful tool for more ordinary folks. (seems a longer paddle would be better)
IMO a paddle would be great paddling back out and moving around the line-up as well.

Maybe I should actually post the video this time  ;D ;D

Zane kicks in the paddle at the 60 sec. mark in the vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S2lUC0YDs0

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 02:47:59 PM »
What's with that intro shot?? It's nothing that appears in the video. Is that a naked woman or a guy with seriously spooky man boobs? Inquiring minds want to know.

Oh, BTW, Admin, my 70th birthday present from Diane is an Inspire 2 drone. the lady gives great "0" birthday presents. 50 was a private bottling of Professional Small Boy (PSB) brandy that I got to blend at the now defunct RMS (Remy Martin Spirits) distillery in Sonoma. I have eight bottles left.  60 was my 1950 Vincent black Shadow. I told her I didn't want to do anything for 70, I'm not interested in celebrating it with a party. I view it as a fitness challenge (my breakout year). But she was planning to surprise me with a vintage Greg Noll black "Da Cat"surfboard, which I mentioned in the sequel to Riding Sophia.  She knows I hate surprises so she told me about it before she committed to buy it (not cheap). I don't want another wallhanger, the hollow balsa gun I have on the wall at Ponohouse already drives me nuts looking at it but not trying it out. So we settled on the Inspire 2 instead. Even fully optioned (with a 4s camera, not the 5) it's about half the price of a surfboard I'd never dare toss in the water.

So I got that going for me. I'll let you know what I think, though I suspect by the time I get back to Hood River you'll have one too. I spent most of the morning downloading pictures of the body, and designing a waterproof shell. The practicality of my design depends on where DJI put the motor controllers. I suspect they are in the booms, which would be cool because I could waterproof them with hydrophobic coatings and if it fails, not expensive to replace. They're a big heat source, so I'd have to do something funky about the heat if they're inside the body.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 03:09:48 PM »
Hah!  My order is in as well.  At least when I sink mine :) I will still have my controller (in the master/slave setup) to control your camera for you.  I have been playing with the DJI video samples out of these things and, holy mother of Bob.  Very happy that they have a flight simulator and a beginner mode....more soon.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 03:55:15 PM »
What's with that intro shot?? It's nothing that appears in the video. Is that a naked woman or a guy with seriously spooky man boobs? Inquiring minds want to know.

Oh, BTW, Admin, my 70th birthday present from Diane is an Inspire 2 drone. the lady gives great "0" birthday presents. 50 was a private bottling of Professional Small Boy (PSB) brandy that I got to blend at the now defunct RMS (Remy Martin Spirits) distillery in Sonoma. I have eight bottles left.  60 was my 1950 Vincent black Shadow. I told her I didn't want to do anything for 70, I'm not interested in celebrating it with a party. I view it as a fitness challenge (my breakout year). But she was planning to surprise me with a vintage Greg Noll black "Da Cat"surfboard, which I mentioned in the sequel to Riding Sophia.  She knows I hate surprises so she told me about it before she committed to buy it (not cheap). I don't want another wallhanger, the hollow balsa gun I have on the wall at Ponohouse already drives me nuts looking at it but not trying it out. So we settled on the Inspire 2 instead. Even fully optioned (with a 4s camera, not the 5) it's about half the price of a surfboard I'd never dare toss in the water.

So I got that going for me. I'll let you know what I think, though I suspect by the time I get back to Hood River you'll have one too. I spent most of the morning downloading pictures of the body, and designing a waterproof shell. The practicality of my design depends on where DJI put the motor controllers. I suspect they are in the booms, which would be cool because I could waterproof them with hydrophobic coatings and if it fails, not expensive to replace. They're a big heat source, so I'd have to do something funky about the heat if they're inside the body.

When the video above came on for me there was a pop up at the bottom.  Knee relief for those 45 and over.  I thought of you.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal