Author Topic: Wrist Based Heart Rate vs. Strap?  (Read 2899 times)

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Wrist Based Heart Rate vs. Strap?
« on: December 09, 2016, 12:27:48 PM »
Currently I have been using a Garmin Heart Rate Strap to send (via ANT+) to my Garmin 78SC that I have mounted to the deck of my board. I also have Endomondo running on my S7 and so I have a running record of my stats that I can look at later. I can easily monitor my average speed, distance, and heart rate as I am paddling. This works for me,  but frankly if I could ditch the strap and get the same accuracy from a wrist based heart rate monitor I might go for it. (would also want the heart rate data to be "seen" by my 78sc as well as my smartphone S7).
So my question is:  any of you paddlers out there using a gps smartwatch like say the Vivoactive AND using a smartphone with an app like Endomondo to track your workouts?
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wrist Based Heart Rate vs. Strap?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 07:36:25 PM »
If you are looking for accurate hr monitoring then wrist based is not it. I have garmin vivoactive hr and it does ok I guess. But accuracy will vary depending on your skin color, thickness,hair etc. What I like to do when I need accurate hr readings I use scosche rhythm hr monitor. That thing is remarkable for optical hr monitor.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

manta

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 10:09:49 PM »
I have a TomTom and they have the most accurate wrist HR monitor.
There is a problem though, wrist flexion interferes with the reading.
So if you run or cycle the reading is as accurate as the strap. I've tested this by using 2 devices simultaneously. It works great.
However when you paddle specifically when the hand the watch is on is at the bottom the reading is off. I have narrowed it it wrist flexion. As you tighten your grip, you tendons and muscles in your wrist flex and it cannot seem to get an accurate reading.
It could be I hold the paddle to hard but even just curling the fingers and needing to resist the paddle being pulled out of the hand is enough.
So unfortunately at the moment the technology does not seem to be able to cope with the nuances of the hand and wrist grip movement.
I'm using the strap for SUP but for most other activities the wrist monitor works fine.

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 10:41:19 PM »
Thanks for the replies......sounds like my current setup is going to have to do until better tech comes along.
Funny though how we get to depend on these devices. I really don't feel like I am really working properly unless I've got my 78sc to watch for my speed, distance and hr.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 05:25:29 AM »
After my SCA I needed a very accurate HR device. My first was a low budget Polar with a strap which worked perfectly.

When the Vivioactive HR came out I did a lot of on line reading, and it seemed to be the only one that worked properly while being wet. I needed accurate HR information while I was surfing waves, as well as paddling. It also was one of the few that did not require a phone in order to work properly.

My initial results led me to conclude that the wrist based HR was not accurate moment to moment, but was ok on averages over time. I did a side by side comparison with the ancient polar with the strap, and the wrist based Vivo. It did not pick up sudden peaks of 180-190 which is the data I HAD to have.

I purchased the optional strap for the Vivo and never looked back. Accurate GPS, and really accurate HR wet or dry.

I miss the loud alarm I could set on the polar beep beep slow down or die bozo, but at this point my cardio recovery has progressed really well. The high spikes over 200 gone, and the highest momentary surge has been 180.

Mo bettah in every way!!   ;D  ;D  ;D

« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 06:17:52 AM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 09:21:06 AM »
The hr strap I use is the Garmin Premium Soft strap. After about a year of daily use,  the readings started to get a little "wonky". I wasn't sure if it was the battery, or the sensor, or the strap. So (after much difficulty removing the 4 tiny screws that hold the battery cover in place) I replaced the battery. Ok,  that did not solve the problem.
So I bought a replacement strap (without the sensor) and tried that. Guess my old strap was worn out,  because it started working reliably again. So I guess the life of these straps is about a year.
I don't really like having to wear a strap (don't care for the permanent "racing stripe" around my chest from paddling so much in the sun with my shirt off:).......but I would not be happy with a wrist based hr watch that wasn't accurate or dependable.
When I am having a good paddle my heart rate is usually around 135-145.  On my first Viento downwind run in Hood River my hr was at 170 during the first couple of miles......about killed me!  I am new to downwinding and was surprised at how taxing it can be....but very exhilarating ! I was on a V2 for the first time and really liked it.....should have bought one......but came across a deal on a used Connector (2014 model...a bit heavy and wide.....but a real battleship).  Anyway,  thanks for the hr info.....always looking for something better!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal