Author Topic: best/better travel paddle?  (Read 7358 times)

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: best/better travel paddle?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2016, 07:46:10 PM »
The KeNalu system - It reminds me of photography - I started with a Canon 10d - I got some Canon lenses - upgraded the lenses - upgrade the camera - the old lenses fit the new camera :D - good thing I like the system because I'm married to it.

So if I start out with "hair-dryer" travel paddle, and decide I want one that just comes apart - I've already got handles and blades....so I buy the new shaft and voila! New paddle. I end up with $500 or more in paddle but I do it in pieces so I feel less pain all at once - genius! :D

For learning what parts I want  - do I want the extended handle? The "adjustment piece" is only $8 more than the $50 for the extended handle. I just dug my Blue Planet out, the wear marks look like I usually keep it at about 80" from the tip of the paddle to the top of the handle. I think I'll want to keep this "just the right length" most of the time so maybe the adjustment won't be important.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2016, 08:07:49 AM »
You also have to consider that through the life span of the paddle you'rel most likely to use
more than one board. Some board sit higher than other so adjustment might be necessary.

It also depends on the to conditions you'll paddle where you'll want adjustment, so if you're
going to invest in modular system, adjustment is a good investment that will maximize the
the paddle's range. 
in progress...

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2016, 04:00:28 PM »
Have you looked in to the Werner Trance?

Hello C. How are you? Haven’t seen you on this site for a while??? Thought you might be in Canada by now (ha! ha!).

And to the O.P., as Spirit suggests, the Werner Trance, in the three piece adjustable is a very nice travel paddle.

Hi G!  It's freezing here---too cold to paddle and still no board.  I would be happy to come to Canada----this place is out of control!!  Hope you're well!

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2016, 02:59:01 PM »
We also have a great value priced, adjustable (18") carbon, 3-piece travel paddle..."snake skin" for non-slip...Bamboo or Bass veneer on carbon blade...90in2 & 100in2...only $299...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/adjustable-sup-paddle
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2016, 09:56:50 PM »
Not under the tree so still shopping :D

What is the weight of the SUPsports paddles?

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2016, 11:35:44 AM »
Not under the tree so still shopping :D

What is the weight of the SUPsports paddles?

Aloha deepmud,
The 3 piece paddles are 1.6#...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2016, 02:39:48 PM »

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2017, 10:11:55 PM »
based on weight, being made of replaceable components, price, plus I already own a decent 3 piece, I'm going to pull the trigger on a factory 2nd Elite Molakai paddle, xtuff shaft, ergo handle (at 5'10" I am assuming the length is going to work).

I wanted a spare blade, the Honu would be a good blade for rivers. Turns out, if you buy the "honu paddle" with the xtuff/ergo, and the factory 2nd Molakai blade separately, it's cheaper than the "factory 2nd paddle", and the honu blade by almost $30 bucks.

Later, I can get their take-down shaft and another handle, and I have 3 paddles total - in case any zoner's visit Alaska :D

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2017, 03:14:53 AM »
Have you looked in to the Werner Trance?

I know the brand from my kayaking days - but the blade seems long to me - like it would require an extra-deep stab to fully engage and avoid dragging bubbles in behind the blade? Most SUP blades seem fatter/wider/shorter?

Re: Traveling with full length, one piece paddles  - if I had a full length "real" sup, a full length paddle would be less of an issue - but I only have (only can deal with right now) iSups - they roll up and stuff in big backpack. I'm willing to live with heavier travel paddle as long as it's strong and has a good blade design. However - for historical purposes (for people searching the site at later date) - please keep making your thoughts and  your opinions known even if I seem to act like this doesn't apply to me.  :D It helps us newbies who spend hours and hours searching the site for tidbits of information. I appreciate the input very much.

Re: Ke Nalu travel paddle - I couldn't find this model on Ke Nalu's website? I've seen that in a thread somewhere in there before. Less hair-dryer time! Looks great for the frequent trips to the lake while everything fits into my diesel Bug too.

Erik

Hey deepmud, you're correct, it's not listed on our website. I do have some & have been selling them at a pretty big discount. I wasn't 100% happy with the first round, there was a little bit of wiggle in the spring clip connection, not too much & if it bothers you, easily solved with a wrap of tape but not what I wanted so I didn't put them on the site & have basically be selling them word of mouth until they're gone. The link viatormundi posted was just for the two piece. PM me if you're interested & I'll hook you (or anyone else) up.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal