Author Topic: Jimmy Lewis Rail  (Read 34190 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Jimmy Lewis Rail
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 04:20:53 PM »
If you're below 160, yeah this is a great board but above my opinion is to go 28".  I'm 190 and the 28" is great.  Jimmy often uses the 28"

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2016, 10:38:11 PM »
Would be interesting to feel the difference btwn the Rail 28 and M14.  Probs would be on the scale of a Bullet 14 to 14V2 difference.  Both of those boards have nuances that are noticeable right away even though they are the same width.  The Bullet 14 is a more DW board vs the 14V2 more AW.  Both are really nice boards.  Would expect that the Rail with a double concave and panel vee to ride similar to the Bullet 14 - but with a big weight advantage in glass and especially the carbon version.  Let us know how it works out on a DW run.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2016, 10:55:48 PM »
The M14 and the Rail are much more similar to each other than the Bullet V1 and V2 are to each other. The two Bullets are completely different designs that share pretty much nothing in common except the name. I actually think they should have had different names. But the Rail and M14 are both similar style boards and the rail shapes, outlines and intended uses are much more similar. The Rail is less volume and has a little less rocker (although not much less) but otherwise the 14x28 Rail must be pretty similar to the M14. Both the Rail and M14 are much more similar to the Bullet 14v1 than the V2. The main difference between the JL boards and the V1 is that the V1 has softer rails up front and a different bottom shape - but the concepts and intended uses for the boards are very similar.

There isn't much else out there that's a lot like the Bullet 14 V2.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2016, 03:29:21 AM »

What is the volume on the 28" Rail?

--

Nevermind. Found it. It's 290 liters. Same as the M-14.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 03:41:17 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2016, 06:43:26 AM »

What is the volume on the 28" Rail?

--

Nevermind. Found it. It's 290 liters. Same as the M-14.
OK, well that begs the question of what exactly is the difference between the M14 and the 14x28 Rail. Same width, same volume, same general shape.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2016, 07:27:52 AM »
The 28 Rail  looks a great board and I bet it goes fantastic....it would be the board I would choose just now ...unless I had cash for a Maliko Jav.

I was comparing my M14 with my pals. I have the lower rockered version and my pal the original. Quite a difference in the rear half...my one certainly is flatter into the tail. His wil surf easier off the tail and be easier I guess in steeper stuff....mine in theory should get into the waves easier. Great boards.

viatormundi

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2016, 07:32:40 AM »
I think the Rail is thicker than M14. M14 looks more like an oversize surf board compared to Rail. It has slightly more rocker too. I tested M14 2 years ago, I might be wrong but Rail weighs less than M14 although they have the same volume. According to Jimmy, M14 shines when the swell is really big and the sea is really choppy, complicated. I chose the Rail because we don't have these big swells in the Mediterranean.

Today I did a training with the Mar Balear SUP Team, the leading team of Spain. They use mostly Allstars or SIC X-12'6 or 14. The sea was really flat. The Rail paddles fine at 8-8.5 km/h level but to get it up to 9 and keep it there requires significantly more effort compared to the race boards, as expected. I will hopefully receive the 2017 Sidewinder 14X25 in white color at the end of February. That one should be able to keep up with the Allstars and X-14s on flat water.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2016, 07:44:23 AM »
The rocker in your pic doesn't look much different to my m14... very very similar...I have the lower rockered version. However, the Rail is diff in the hull and nose etc. I bet they handle pretty similar.

viatormundi

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2016, 07:52:38 AM »
The rocker in your pic doesn't look much different to my m14... very very similar...I have the lower rockered version. However, the Rail is diff in the hull and nose etc. I bet they handle pretty similar.

I compare it to the first version of M14. I have not seen the latest version of M14 here in Mallorca.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2016, 09:03:51 AM »
Here is an ad copy description of the M14 and Rail.  Would expect the Rail with double concaves to unstick faster than the M14 with a flat bottom.  But think the Rail was initially concieved to be a narrower option to the M14.  Edges on the Rail are probs quite a bit softer than the firm edges all round on the M14.  Maybe viator can elaborate firsthand.
Fast is FUN!   8)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2016, 09:20:36 AM »
coldsup - why switch to a 28 Rail from your M14?  Our original M14 is the perfect DW board when conditions get festive.  Much rather be on that vs my Bullet.  So much more stable surfy and fun.
Fast is FUN!   8)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2016, 10:11:19 AM »
Here is a pic that reflects the differences btwn my AS23 - V2 - and M14.  Step back just a hair on the M14 and it handles the biggest drops with ease.  Not as easy on the V2 - and not possible on the AS23.  Very different boards that simply excel in the right conditions.  This quiver of DW boards is perfect for us.  For steep and deep go M14 every time.  Major fun.  ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2016, 12:29:29 PM »
I like that shot as it clearly shows that each board is uniquely different !  Makes for a nice arsenal. I'd add a 14ft iSUP for exploring unknown territory.......when there is a serious chance of bumping into things!! ;) ;)
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2016, 12:38:28 PM »
The Bullet V1 is the one to compare with the M14. I owned both and sold the M14, good though it was.

You wouldn't really use the Bullet V2 and the M14 or V1 in the same conditions. It would be better to compare the V2 with the Bark Vapor.

Many people would be better off with the Bullet V1 rather than the V2. I use my V1 a lot more than my V2.

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2016, 01:13:47 PM »
The Bullet V1 is the one to compare with the M14. I owned both and sold the M14, good though it was.

You wouldn't really use the Bullet V2 and the M14 or V1 in the same conditions. It would be better to compare the V2 with the Bark Vapor.

Many people would be better off with the Bullet V1 rather than the V2. I use my V1 a lot more than my V2.

I am so gratified to see that it isn't only me. I have had a Bullet V2 for a season now, and have not fallen in love with it. I have been on a quest to find a lighter air downwind board, hoping to get a little "faster" in those conditions. I am not interested in flat water or racing, only downwind or surf. First I got a 2014 Naish Javelin LE because all the fast guys were on them.. I never felt relaxed on it, I hated it in big Hatchery conditions and I was not any faster to boot. I sold it to my buddy, who had been on a Bullet V1. and he loves it. Doesn't mind the challenge (also lighter than me). Next I bought the V2 as my lighter air board, and even though I like it better than the Javelin, meaning I find it more stable, I am still not as relaxed on it as I am on my  F16 (admittedly that is apples to oranges) or my North Pacific custom, which is 29" wide, elf shoe front rockered and weighs 37 frickin pounds. I think the Bullet V1 has a rocker very similar to the F16, so I am guessing I would also prefer the V1 to my V2. I will test that out next season.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal