Author Topic: The SUP Crossing - Chris Bertish  (Read 24303 times)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: The SUP Crossing - Chris Bertish
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2017, 11:40:16 AM »
Mega-kudos to you Bob, but I would think those direct-costs should come off the top.  I'm sure the time you put in, is contribution enough. 

manta

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2017, 10:20:42 PM »
So the focus of the trip which you are completely missing is to raise the equivalent of 1.5 million dollars for the smile foundation.
Chris is South African and while Americans cry about Trump we have millions of children that don't have food to eat.
This trip is to raise money to feed those kids.
So please STOP changing the focus to arbitrary rubbish and focus in the goal, putting food in the mouths of starving children.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2017, 07:43:21 AM »
Bean...for the CCBC I pay for registration like everyone else, it's basically that and gas for my truck for all the running around. Not a big deal and I've gotten more from the CCBC than anyone other than the kids. I can't put a price on what it's done for me.

Manta....It's hardly rubbish....and as to focus....did you miss my point about making the popup about donations instead of booking speaking gigs? The focus wasn't lost by me but by the folks that created the website....and I donated despite being turned off by it. But it's obviously a turnoff to some folks and everyone that closes the website because of it is a donor lost.....what's more important...donations or speaking fees?

It's an amazing accomplishment and for a good cause...a shame that somebodies idea of marketing should tarnish it.

Edit....went back to the site to check progress. Looks like someone else agrees on the popup...it's been replaced by one for donations via SMS.

Absolutely amazing that he's going to make it....looks like it anyway. For what it's worth I'd be happy to go hear him speak. I just wish they hadn't made it such a focus of the site.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 08:00:17 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2017, 10:56:02 AM »
Bean...for the CCBC I pay for registration like everyone else, it's basically that and gas for my truck for all the running around. Not a big deal and I've gotten more from the CCBC than anyone other than the kids. I can't put a price on what it's done for me.

Sorry Stoney, I misunderstood, I thought you were paying thousands per year to cover the admin costs.  And, I am familiar with that win/win feeling of volunteerism. 

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2017, 09:29:19 PM »

Sorry Stoney, I misunderstood, I thought you were paying thousands per year to cover the admin costs.  And, I am familiar with that win/win feeling of volunteerism.

LOL...if I only had that kind of cash.....I'd actually love to if I could but right now my wife would kill me. I told her that if we ever hit the lottery big I'd create an annuity for Christopher's Haven to provide the funding and run the CCBC as just a big paddle and party with with a couple hundred close friends.... ;) 8)

It goes far beyond the normal win/win of volunteerism. I've always volunteered my time for lots of different causes and have always felt good about it but nothing has ever benefited me so personally. Cliche, but it's changed my life.

Still blown away he's going to make this....very, very cool.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 09:36:18 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2017, 01:34:27 AM »
Yeah, we are about 10 years into this sport as far as record-setting distance paddling feats are concerned, and his has surely got to be the greatest ever SUP feat so far - and it is hard to see how it could be beaten. Amazing.

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2017, 02:37:26 AM »
Sour grapes? Don't be silly. I wouldn't change what I do to make a living....I enjoy my work. You're welcome to your opinion but it doesn't change my perception of the focus of the website. You don't see a difference in an accomplishment if it was done for passion or to help others or "because its there" vs doing it for the money?
I have no idea of his motivation....I suspect it's because its there and that Bill is right..the marketing folks involved went sideways. No idea..I just know it takes some of the shine off an amazing undertaking in my mind.

No - I don't... If you see money as evil, then you see your own measure as evil. Simple
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2017, 02:38:25 AM »
A transactional outlook/perspective - if you see it as taking the shine off.

SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2017, 02:42:48 AM »
Yes, I agree. I know a guy who knows Chris and he tells me he's a great guy and not at all pompous. So I'm sure this is just his website designer getting the tone a bit wrong.

But I think many of us are getting a bit tired of being barraged by requests from acquaintances for financial support for their latest japes, with the justification that it is for charity, when really you know that they are using the charitable aspect just to justify, legitimise, or pay for something they want to do anyway. And then there is the rise in "chuggers", and the dodgy tactics of some charities in targeting potential donors. I think this has perhaps created a certain jadedness (perhaps unfairly) around the whole issue of these kinds of events. Chris's amazing feat is made by the website to look like a way of selling him as a "motivational speaker", and this is no doubt very unfair, but it perhaps taps into this cynicism.

So, if Chris wants to do this kind of thing to prove something to himself, then that's great, and I will cheer him on. But if he then thinks that will persuade me to part with hard-earned cash to hear him tell me how great he is, and how I could be more like him if I only believed in it more, then frankly I'd be more impressed if he had looked after his sick elderly neighbour for the last 10 years, with no fanfare or expectation of reward or adulation. I would pay to hear that person speak over someone who had paddled to the moon and back.

But other opinions are available, for sure. Maybe I'm just a cynical old git.

YES - correct

If your cash is hard earned - that implies you hate your job, which probably explains why youre a cynic.. Incidentally - Cynics traditionally lived on the streets, so there you go :D
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2017, 03:11:58 AM »
If your cash is hard-earned it means you hate your job? Not at all. It just means you've worked hard, like paddling hard in a race. You can work hard at something you enjoy.

I suspect your views here are minority ones. For most people, the motivation a person has for doing something matters because it speaks to the degree of altruism or pro-sociality that is being shown. For instance, people will judge a person's responsibility for a negative outcome of an action according to the intent of the actor. There is a whole body of research on this sort of thing in the field of social psychology. But if someone is the kind of person who does not have particularly well developed "theory of mind" (i.e. the ease of understanding the states of mind of other people) then matters of someone else's motivation are likely relatively irrelevant to your judgement of another person's actions.

But we should not let this discussion detract from the incredible achievement of Chris Bertish. And if he has tweaked his website in response to the criticisms here (and/or perhaps other sources) then my respect for him has just grown further.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2017, 06:15:32 AM »
I'm sorry for you if your measure is money. Some of the wealthiest people I know don't have a lot of it. I'm not saying I wouldn't like more of it but I certainly don't measure my worth by it....simple.

I find that a very strange outlook...by your measure Gandhi would be worthless and Mother Theresa not deserve respect? Do I understand that correctly?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 06:23:04 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2017, 06:53:56 AM »
Holy crap, I just looked at Chris's track.  He's so close, 4.2kts, heading 271 degrees, right into Antigua!

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2017, 09:23:54 AM »
Amazing voyage.

Insanely impressed with the prediction of where landing would be. I know some Downwinders with lighter boards who are less accurate on shorter distances.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2017, 10:30:38 AM »
Wow.
He certainly know how to read the currents and weather to be able to plot his course so accurately.
Good for him.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2017, 11:39:42 AM »
"One of the most experienced transatlantic open ocean row experts, Leven Brown is in charge of the Sup Crossings routing and logistics and will be Chris’ main point of contact throughout the journey. Leven was on sight for the testing in the UK and assisted with all the final systems examinations in Morocco prior to launch. Chris is in great hands and Leven will utilize a professional marine weather forecast service, his knowledge of the craft and his own expertise of open ocean transatlantic crossings to make sure Chris is safe and on course the entire way."

http://www.thesupcrossing.com/project-team/

https://youtu.be/_m3CDL7LXKs
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal