Stand Up Paddle > Flatwater and Touring

Reinforced SUP nose for winter. Ice breakers?

(1/2) > >>

SG50SUP:
Nose displacement boards may act like great ice breakers. Crunching the thin ice with each paddle stroke, but is there anything out there on market that we could place on the board nose as reinforced ice breakers? Maybe like those on cars but for displacement nose sup..

Temperatures dropping to freezing point out here in Europe and if you're in the region you'd probably also notice that the lakes and rivers are starting to freeze over. It's un-advisable to paddle when the ice gets too thick as this would damage the board, but while it's still  possible, I'd like to go out and paddle as long as I can before hitting the paddle machine. It's even more worrying if its a carbon board I think.

I'm actually tinkering to make a sup nose guard for this. But if its already out there, do let me know!

yugi:
I'd say but but but why.

But... on the other hand ... whatever...

Bean:
An ice breaker bow is designed to ride up on the ice and crush it, not plow through like a snow plow.  Hope that helps...

I had a summer job back in the 80's on the worlds largest ice breaker, the Manhattan.

Badger:

Rail Saver or Helicopter tape should provide enough protection, as long as you're not ramming bergs. You can even double or triple it up.

mrbig:
Salt ice easy peasy. Black is is not your friend. My Jimmy Lewis Blade II didn't do well, whereas my Infinity Rocket was a nice nice little icebreaker. The Bluefin will be thoroughly tested this winter. Am not planning on using the Starby Race.. ;D  ;D  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version