Author Topic: Reinforced SUP nose for winter. Ice breakers?  (Read 3306 times)

SG50SUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPmission
Reinforced SUP nose for winter. Ice breakers?
« on: December 05, 2016, 05:39:00 AM »
Nose displacement boards may act like great ice breakers. Crunching the thin ice with each paddle stroke, but is there anything out there on market that we could place on the board nose as reinforced ice breakers? Maybe like those on cars but for displacement nose sup..

Temperatures dropping to freezing point out here in Europe and if you're in the region you'd probably also notice that the lakes and rivers are starting to freeze over. It's un-advisable to paddle when the ice gets too thick as this would damage the board, but while it's still  possible, I'd like to go out and paddle as long as I can before hitting the paddle machine. It's even more worrying if its a carbon board I think.

I'm actually tinkering to make a sup nose guard for this. But if its already out there, do let me know!

SIC RS 14, SIC X-14 Pro Lite, FX-14 Pro, X-12'6 Pro
BlackProject EPIC 95, Tiger Pro v2.0, Maliko Pro Race
Quickblade Trifecta 86, BlackProject HYDRO 83
Vaaká Cadence × Suunto Spartan Ultra × SUPSKIN × RESTUBE

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Reinforced SUP nose for winter. Ice breakers?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 05:53:54 AM »
I'd say but but but why.

But... on the other hand ... whatever...
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMqADdsVmwQ

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 07:03:29 AM »
An ice breaker bow is designed to ride up on the ice and crush it, not plow through like a snow plow.  Hope that helps...

I had a summer job back in the 80's on the worlds largest ice breaker, the Manhattan.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 07:24:50 AM »

Rail Saver or Helicopter tape should provide enough protection, as long as you're not ramming bergs. You can even double or triple it up.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 10:51:31 AM »
Salt ice easy peasy. Black is is not your friend. My Jimmy Lewis Blade II didn't do well, whereas my Infinity Rocket was a nice nice little icebreaker. The Bluefin will be thoroughly tested this winter. Am not planning on using the Starby Race.. ;D  ;D  ;D
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

clinto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 11:32:15 AM »
This is an issue that would have never crossed my mind. You guys are nuts going out in ice conditions. Im spoiled here in FL. Water never gets much below 50f

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 01:46:02 PM »
Not an an answer that will help retrofit your current board, but a type of nose to look for if you or anyone else wants to consider an "Ice Breaker Board" for winter paddling, where ice is a regular event.

I had this board for a very cold winter on Cape Cod. For one 2 week stretch, the high was 14 degrees F.
Lots of thick sea ice.
Sea ice is softer than freshwater ice and can be paddled up to 4" thick with the right board.

They don't make this model anymore , but have an 11' version,

It was a molded build, so very thick & tough (but very heavy)

The key was the nose... but I call it a Bow, because it was shaped like the front of an aircraft carrier.
A very thin cutting bow, that swept up and out to the overhanging rails.... just like the carrier.

The nose cut through the ice, the nose widened and pushed the ice out, and up against the underside of the deck.... which gave it great stability as you powered through the ice. (the pictures will help understand how that worked)

I spent a lot of time that winter, exploring the possible, in super cold conditions (down to -8 F)
It was a blast, and the board made it as safe as possible, by providing a lot of stability as well as amazing ice breaking power.

Note.... whenever I paddled in fresh water ice, I was keenly aware of the very real potential to get serious cuts from thinner sheet ice if I fell in. That ice can be very sharp... I wouldn't want to fall on a sharp piece and slit my neck or eye.

Some pics of conditions and the nose that works so well on the 12' Odyssey Paddle Craft....
now sold by Tahoe as the 11' Tahoe SUP Paddlecraft.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 01:57:47 PM »
There are some heavy-duty Bics have noses like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

krash

• Rincon Status
  • Old fugger who loves to fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 03:32:18 PM »
That hull design looks like it could be good for fishing...
Old fugger who just likes to fish

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal