Author Topic: SUP GRIP installation project step by step.  (Read 6944 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
SUP GRIP installation project step by step.
« on: December 04, 2016, 07:13:28 AM »
Replacing a LiftSup handle with a SUP GRIP handle.

I have very little experience with board repairs. This was the first time I've done anything this major. My procedure was very unorthodox. I kind of learned as I went along but I'm happy with the results. All criticisms are welcome.  :)

I don't know how to post sentences between the pics so I will list the steps here with the corresponding pics below.

Step 1. I removed the deck pad from the area of the handle. The liftSup mechanism is removed by cutting it in half.

Step 2. I made a template from a piece of Lexan I had laying around and strapped it to the board over the LiftSup handle. I had to put some pieces of adhesive weatherstrip on the underside to keep it from sliding around.

Step 3. I routed out the hole with a Ryobi standard non-plunging router using a 2 1/2" carbide single "O" Flute plastic cutting bit.

http://www.toolstoday.com/p-5176-solid-carbide-single-o-flute-plastic-cutting-router-bits.aspx

It cut through the plastic no problem. I left the remainder of the handle in the board. Some foam was exposed but the plastic base contained a 3/4 inch void beneath the new handle which I filled with foam.

I decided to leave the flange of the new handle above deck and not rout out an inset. This meant the handle would not be flush but it's only an eighth of an inch and once covered with the deck pad you hardly notice it.

Step 4. I set the new SUP GRIP handle into the board with Gorilla Glue. I made sure I got glue on every surface that would come in contact with the handle and used enough so that as the glue expands, it would fill every void and come out onto the deck. That worked great. I set a ten pound weight on the handle to make sure it stayed down and didn't pop back up. I stood by with a butter knife to scrape away the glue as it came out onto the deck around the handle. It took about 30 minutes for the glue to stop expanding and begin to set up.

Step 5. Once the glue was dry, I sanded around the handle and fared around the edges of the flange with epoxy to create a gentle slope using West System 410 Microlight Faring Filler which I sanded smooth.

Step 6. I glassed around the handle with two layers of 6 oz cloth making sure to cover the flange, the entire faring area and some deck. Then covered that with Peel Ply. It was my first time using Peel Ply and it works great, making it require very little sanding after.

Step 7. I cut the deck pad material and glued it on using 3M High Strength 90 contact adhesive.

I could have done a fancier, more professional job but I think this is plenty strong, watertight and looks pretty good so I'm very happy with it.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 07:27:43 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

MaineSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SUP GRIP installation project step by step.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 05:26:36 PM »
Looks good.  I admire how you pulled the trigger and took a router to your pristine board and it worked out.  Definite improvement for New England winter conditions.
Coreban Dart 14'
SIC Bullet 14 V2
Sunova Speeed 9'2"
Red Sport 12'6"

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 07:28:31 PM »
Looks like a very professional job of replacing the LiftSup handle with the Sup Grip. Congrats.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 09:39:58 PM »
Well done Badger, looks like a solid installation.  Cutting the LiftSUP handle to remove it by twisting out the two sides is genius!
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 06:53:10 AM »
Yea, nice work Badger!

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 04:07:16 AM »
Just like downtown, baby!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 04:26:00 AM »
Looks like you did a solid job Badger, congratulations!

When you cut through the original handle, the router didn't catch on the plastic handle and push any bits into the foam?
When I routed out the center box on my RAW, it chewed up the foam a bit as It threw pieces around..... and I went very slowly. Maybe I had a dull bit??

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 05:43:55 AM »
Looks like you did a solid job Badger, congratulations!

When you cut through the original handle, the router didn't catch on the plastic handle and push any bits into the foam?
When I routed out the center box on my RAW, it chewed up the foam a bit as It threw pieces around..... and I went very slowly. Maybe I had a dull bit??

Thanks Rick.

It did a little but not much. Most of the bits were fairly small and didn't have much force behind them. Maybe the type of bit I used made a difference.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 06:09:49 AM »

Not dull. It's a challenge for most people.

That's why I pre-slice around the perimeter with this http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-Volt-LXT-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Multi-Tool-Tool-Only-XMT03Z/205302496

So called experts poo-poo'd this idea last time I posted it.  >:(

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 06:48:53 AM »
Badgers success in routing through the old handle-body clearly demonstrates the efficacy of the streamlined process.

Accordingly, even a non-expert like myself would have no choice but to "poo-poo" the "pre-slice" approach based solely upon the prima facie evidence presented.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 07:17:59 AM by Bean »

eDUBz

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 08:22:01 PM »
Props for cutting open a perfectly good board and tacking this project on - Looks great! Learn as you go is the best way to learn, im self taught as well. :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 08:25:31 PM by eDUBz »
@rf.boardworks

eDUBz

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 08:23:35 PM »
double post
@rf.boardworks

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 05:50:52 PM »
This looks good man. Thx for the how to.

The gorilla glue was an interesting choice. Seems like a good way to fill and seal. Keep us posted on the durability of the fix long term. I can see a lot of folks wanting to do this.

Clean job on the pad too!

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 08:16:25 PM »

Thanks. The Gorilla Glue was suggested by someone in my earlier post. It set up very solid and sealed well. It's not going to move.

The fairing compound double sealed the flange and was also rock solid. Glassing it over was probably overkill.

I'll report back if it fails.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal