Author Topic: Jimmy Lewis board construction videos.  (Read 17753 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Jimmy Lewis board construction videos.
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2017, 08:35:44 PM »
Looking at this video it doesn't seem any harder to vac bag it properly than to use the "poor mans method".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLTXB5wNfa0

And, regarding my previous comment, definitely start with the 40 grit. I just did my first fin box replacement and even with 50 grit on my random orbit sander it took a long time to get through the 2 layers of glass and down into the blue tape.

You do realize that this is Storm, who is probably the world's best glasser, by a big margin. Huge margin. Watching him glass is like watching Yo Yo Ma play cello. Yeah, it looks so fucking easy.

You might as well think you're going to learn to surf by watching Kai Lenny surf. This is the Kai of glassing. I've watched Storm glass in person. Trust me, Nothing to be learned here, move along.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 08:47:14 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Fanman

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2017, 05:50:07 PM »
Do you have a link or know where to get the plastic that JL uses for his PM vacuum bagging?
Thx

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2017, 06:46:45 PM »
The plastic he uses is just super cheap painter's tarp, the cheapest, super thin crap you buy at home depot. That works best for this. Of course he has mastered this method and it's not easy. this is essentially what I did with peel ply the other day on the top board of GF2. I would have used plastic if I had some handy, but by the time I realized I wanted to wrap the edges all I had handy was peel ply.

Plastic won't reduce the excess resin like peel ply will, and it doesn't give that great "tooth" that makes the next layer adhere so well, but for work like this it's best.

You can tell Jimmy is just super-freaking-human at this because his tinted glass is as consistent as paint. That ain't normal. He cracked me up talking about not wasting epoxy--I've never mixed a batch of epoxy that large in my life. I bet half of that went in the trashcan. Jimmy's shoes are as heinous as they sound--2/3 epoxy and he wears them barefoot. I wouldn't put those on my feet for a free custom board.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Fanman

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2017, 03:29:15 PM »
JL did look like he filled it to the top and wasn't to worried about catching the run off! But did mention it was expensive and didn't like to waste it! Great job on the video, so much talent and experience!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2017, 03:40:08 PM »
The floor in his shop has little mountain ranges around the base of the glassing stands. Jimmy is unusual in that he does a lot of his own glassing for his custom boards and prototypes--maybe all of it. Most shapers use a glasser to do that.

novaboy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Turtle's Board Room
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2017, 04:10:36 PM »
Looking at this video it doesn't seem any harder to vac bag it properly than to use the "poor mans method".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLTXB5wNfa0

And, regarding my previous comment, definitely start with the 40 grit. I just did my first fin box replacement and even with 50 grit on my random orbit sander it took a long time to get through the 2 layers of glass and down into the blue tape.

You do realize that this is Storm, who is probably the world's best glasser, by a big margin. Huge margin. Watching him glass is like watching Yo Yo Ma play cello. Yeah, it looks so fucking easy.

You might as well think you're going to learn to surf by watching Kai Lenny surf. This is the Kai of glassing. I've watched Storm glass in person. Trust me, Nothing to be learned here, move along.

That was a very cool video, never saw a board glassed like that before.
Jimmy Lewis Canada Rep
http://turtlesboardroom.weebly.com
9'5 Striker, 12'6 Sidewinder, 5'11 Kwad, 8’6 Super Frank
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal