Author Topic: Jimmy Lewis board construction videos.  (Read 17756 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Jimmy Lewis board construction videos.
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2016, 11:40:29 PM »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2016, 08:18:38 AM »
Excellent!

Really like Jimmy's videos.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

dns

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2016, 12:45:19 PM »
All that sanding he's doing is the pro way. I start at a much higher grit. Longer process but way more room for mistakes. Each board I sneak down a grit but man, he's starting with crazy rough grit! Fast but only for pros.

Yeah, my eyes bugged out when he said he started at 40 grit. Especially with that monster grinder.

These videos are awesome. I've  been using plastic on my ding repairs for ages, but never thought about using it for a whole board. WAY easier than setting up the whole vac pump/bag.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2016, 10:09:05 PM »
The plastic trick is not going to give the same result as a vac bag!

Vac banging is used to consolidate the lamination which improves strength it also is used to remove excess epoxy from a wet layup. The plastic is doing nether of these properly except for perhaps aplying a small amount of surface tension to the top/bottom and on the apex of the rail were the plastic is applying a small amount of pressure.

The plastic trick does however give a nice smooth rail and lap and help fill in some of the weave so perhaps it may mean you can do a slightly thiner hot coat.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2016, 11:26:07 PM »
It's curious that Jimmy decided to make a video showing a "cut-the-corners" method rather than the full monty. If he wanted to show how much work and skill goes into making a board then you'd have thought that vac bagging would emphasise that.

Also, wouldn't it be better to decide where the handle goes after you've routed the finbox?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2016, 12:47:12 AM »

It's curious that Jimmy decided to make a video showing a "cut-the-corners" method rather than the full monty. If he wanted to show how much work and skill goes into making a board then you'd have thought that vac bagging would emphasise that.

Also, wouldn't it be better to decide where the handle goes after you've routed the finbox?

I can see why he does what he does but after all that effort of doing the plastic (the time consuming bit) you may as well throw it in a bag and consolidate the laminate and have a stronger layup.

it would do and it certainly would have less chance of anything being out but when building boards commercially it all come down to time and how many steps are in the process. If you were to route/install the fin box first then do the handle ect you are looking at probably 2 extra steps which means the board has to be moved from the laminating room  back in to the sanding room before going back to the laminating room again  so handled aleast twice more so say maybe a 1-2hours more labour and adds any were from maybe 6-24h time to the hole build process so then thats more space that the boards are taking up ect ect  Sream lining the build process is probably one of the hardest things about building boards and were the simplest change to construction or problem can add days to a build.

eDUBz

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2016, 09:36:36 PM »
Intresting that he uses poly on top of epoxy. The pladtic sheeting has no benefit other than less sanding i would imagine. Awesome videos though.
@rf.boardworks

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2016, 10:16:26 PM »

I can see why he does what he does but after all that effort of doing the plastic (the time consuming bit) you may as well throw it in a bag and consolidate the laminate and have a stronger layup.

it would do and it certainly would have less chance of anything being out but when building boards commercially it all come down to time and how many steps are in the process. If you were to route/install the fin box first then do the handle ect you are looking at probably 2 extra steps which means the board has to be moved from the laminating room  back in to the sanding room before going back to the laminating room again  so handled aleast twice more so say maybe a 1-2hours more labour and adds any were from maybe 6-24h time to the hole build process so then thats more space that the boards are taking up ect ect  Sream lining the build process is probably one of the hardest things about building boards and were the simplest change to construction or problem can add days to a build.
I only meant that wouldn't it be better to route out the fin box and then decide where the handle will go, since when you are routing the box presumably you are removing more material (albeit only a small amount) weight-wise than you will add during the fin box installation. I didn't mean install the box completely and then do the handle - although that would clearly be best I can see that it would be laborious to do that.

It's just SO annoying when the handle is off. I have a Sidewinder with an off-centre handle and it's a constant irritation. Which is a shame because otherwise the build seems very light and durable. So it made me wonder what the process of deciding where to put the handle was.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2016, 04:04:42 AM »
That is EXACTLY what Dave Daum and his crew do at Kings. In fact, they put the pad on and balance with fins, determine the correct location, and then rout,and install the handle.

Always in the right location for perfect balance..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2016, 04:54:52 AM »
Jimmy does explain that with a full deck-pad he does not include the pad in the balance exercise.

dns

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2016, 11:59:23 AM »
Looking at this video it doesn't seem any harder to vac bag it properly than to use the "poor mans method".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLTXB5wNfa0

And, regarding my previous comment, definitely start with the 40 grit. I just did my first fin box replacement and even with 50 grit on my random orbit sander it took a long time to get through the 2 layers of glass and down into the blue tape.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2016, 07:03:47 AM »
Those Nelson videos are fun to watch, thanks for the reminder!
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2017, 06:26:36 AM »
Yeah, my main take away from this is how time-consuming a custom board is. So, I'm wondering what's the differential in construction tactics between what he just did and what the factory does? What is lost in translation?

It would also be cool to go through his thought process on the initial design. In any case, great set of videos.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

SupSimcoe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SimcoeSup
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2017, 06:11:06 PM »
The factory JL boards are a sandwich construction. So that means EPS foam core with Fiberglas layer on top of that and then PVC foam covered by another layer of carbon or fibreglass depending on if it is a carbon or fibreglass board and then paint. Here is the link http://www.jimmylewis.ca/?page_id=3970 http://www.jimmylewis.ca/?page_id=3970

The factory build is different  and more durable construction but most likely much harder for custom construction.
SUP Lake Simcoe
Clearwood VLZ 14*23 hollow wood- self-built
Starboard 2021 Sprint 14*19.75
Kenalu Mana 82
Quickblade UV 82 Carbon
SUP Reviews  http://simcoesup.blogspot.ca/

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2017, 12:39:42 PM »
Yes, these are great videos.  I have used this plastic technique before on windsurfers, both with and without a vacuum.  If you do a vacuum on this, especially with peel ply and stuff to soak up the excess resin you will end up with a thin laminate which will be much more ding and dent prone.  (been there, done that)  That could be solved with another layer of glass for a thicker laminate, but perhaps that alters the board's flex properties too much(?)

I think this plastic method does help compress the laminate a bit since he compresses and pulls things, and with no air able to get back in, it could stop the weave from springing apart quite as much as it might with nothing on top of it.  It seems to really help wrapping the rails, which is where i have found it works really well, although he not surprisingly does it better than I do.  Clearly on a race board, or a board with a sandwich construction this will not give the lightest possible result, but I think it is not simply a case of cutting corners and not doing it right.  It makes sense for this type of construction.

One thing I might add it that if you do something like this and end up with a few bubbles that are a long way from the rails, if you are wrinkling things too much and not getting them out cleanly, just use a pin to make a hole to let the air out and press it down cleanly.  But, of course,I'm sure Jimmy never has to do that!

Good to see he's using Chinook boxes too.  Some boxes and so flimsy.

Peter

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal