Author Topic: DW boards becoming model 'T's?  (Read 6515 times)

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
DW boards becoming model 'T's?
« on: December 01, 2016, 10:42:59 AM »
"Borrowed" from Seabreeze~

Jimmy Lewis posted this really cool message on Facebook a couple of days ago-
So, today was super windy and Kevin Davison, Jaecey Suda and I did a downwind run. We're coming up towards Baldwin and Kevin's about 30-40 yards ahead of me, as usual, when out of the corner of my eye on the left I see this yellow thing fly by. My first thought was "WHAT???? How did Jaecey catch me??" (she's got a yellow board) Then I notice that it's a foil board. I look up a little higher and it's Kai Lenny on his 5' something foil shortboard! He's looking back at me with a big smile, holding his GoPro out in front and says "Hey Jimmy!" I yell back "YEAH RIGHT ON KAI!" It was unreal to see what he was doing so close up!! But that's not the half of it! He quickly catches up to Kevin, whom he said "hi" to as well, then began to traverse in towards shore to get near Baldwin Reef. He's been up on the foil the whole time since he first passed me. I keep looking up once in a while to see where he is and he's way inside now and still up on the foil. I watched him until I couldn't see him anymore and I think he was going in at Sugar Cove because his house is near there. Not once did he come down off of the foil. EVER! I'm not sure but I'd be confident to say that he caught a glide up at Maliko and rode the foil, non stop, all the way down to his house. I guess we'll see when he posts his video (I hope he doesn't edit out my part..... ha ha ha!!). Anyway, all I can say is: UNREAL!!!

The vid~
https://www.facebook.com/kai.lenny/videos/10154819338924312/
It takes a quiver to do that.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: DW boards becoming model 'T's?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 10:57:38 AM »
Actually, that was posted on Myface originally. That was a pretty eventful day. Headmount and I had an awesome run once I stopped being scared. Randy Royce lost his board off Camp One and had to swim in. Wound up breaking one of Jeremy's Bullet 17 V1's into three pieces when the board came in through the surf sans rider. I heard that two people in OCs needed rescue--not sure that's true, I heard it from a guy at the bar in Charlie's  but Devin, who was tending bar, didn't know anything about it. She and Sonni were in RR's group and called 911 when a ski came into the harbor and told them he'd seen RR's board cruising east at a fast clip minus rider.

And then Kai blasted by everyone on his foil. I didn't see him, I was too busy trying to go fast enough not to get mowed by the giant swells.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

dns

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 10:06:06 PM »
Kai is the next generation watergod. We mortals can aspire, but we need to enjoy what we can do while we can.

Kai is pulling aerial reentrys on 40 foot waves. I'm happy/scared on 2x overhead. Youtube has significantly advanced the state of the sport, but we can't judge our performance by the top .01%.

I'm having fun tracking my WRX, but would hate life in an F1 car.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 12:54:56 AM »
You can go also go faster on a windsurfer .... and still downwind paddle surfing was born after windsurfing.  Downwind paddle surfing isn't about ultimate speed compared to other modes of moving over the water.  It's about that moment of acceleration you get from a glide.

Foiling is as different as windsurfing is to stand up paddling so comparing them is apples to mangoes. 

That day we saw Kai he was riding the big pulses of energy, broad mountains that contained the many smaller glides on the surface of those mountains.  On our DW boards we're riding those smaller glides while the big pulse is rolling under us.  So sure you can fly across the country on a jet but you can also have a very intimate time with the surroundings driving a car. 

My opinion is both are fine and DW boards won't become obsolete.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 06:23:39 AM »
I agree. There will always be a niche for DW boards and the people who love them.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 06:36:14 AM »
You can go also go faster on a windsurfer .... and still downwind paddle surfing was born after windsurfing.

+1

While I enjoy looking at his vid, I have no desire to go foiling, with or without
the paddle. No desire for kiteboarding either for that matter.

Windsurfing however does appeal to me. Go figure.
in progress...

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 06:48:12 AM »
You guy over there are frequently talking about big tigers around the island following as you cross the channel. What happens when the wind dies or the swell backs off and your out on basically a short board? It sounds as if you guys are nervous enough when it happens on a 17' SIC...The men in the gray stripped suits don't care about your credentials...your just another snack ...Kai on a ritz...God forbid.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 07:40:53 AM »
The natural that will make the foil accessible to a much wider user base will be with a kayak/surfski paddle on a minimal boat.  Plenty of entry and maintenance power and open to a wider range of conditions. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 08:13:23 AM »

Good analogy, for me anyway. I watched Nico Rossburg become F1 world champion last night (recorded, of course, I've been avoiding racing news all week). I know firsthand that wings and slicks cars, never mind F1, are not in my future.  Ten laps in a Radical takes two days to recover from, and I'm just waiting for the race to be over after lap five. But I never get enough of racing old Peyote.

That form of foiling is certainly the future for hyperfit, hypertalented athletes like Kai, Zane and Connor. I'm inspired to continue developing the Geezer foil, but most days I'll be happiest on my SIC Bullet without wings.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 09:54:39 AM »

Good analogy, for me anyway. I watched Nico Rossburg become F1 world champion last night (recorded, of course, I've been avoiding racing news all week). I know firsthand that wings and slicks cars, never mind F1, are not in my future.  Ten laps in a Radical takes two days to recover from, and I'm just waiting for the race to be over after lap five. But I never get enough of racing old Peyote.

That form of foiling is certainly the future for hyperfit, hypertalented athletes like Kai, Zane and Connor. I'm inspired to continue developing the Geezer foil, but most days I'll be happiest on my SIC Bullet without wings.
Slight hijack, but I started this thread so it's okay according to me, even though this wasn't really meant to be a which is best thread.
Speaking of Nico Rossburg, he just retired!  Claiming he has reached the peak of his mountain, so the time is right, but he's still young.
I'm surprised, that would be like Kai quitting because he's conquered all forms of board surfing, which he has.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-3994104/Nico-Rosberg-retires-Formula-One-winning-world-title.html

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 10:14:07 AM »
If Kai had the money that Nico does, and had to deal with the politics of F1, the team dynamics, and a teammate that was as much of a dickhead as Hamilton then he'd probably pull the ripcord even quicker.  You have to be totally driven and committed to excel in F1, and to become world champion you need all that and the best team and car behind you. No fun to be had.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 11:58:05 AM »
I have to agree with that point of view, politics can have a way of running things, way too much in F1.  My surprise at his retirement, was his ability to park his ego, F1 drivers are usually driven by their giant egos, and he was able to park it.
But on a lighter note, from this long time race fan, there is NASCAR and Jimmie, Mr. 7 time, Sprint Cup champion, from my home town. 
No longer will it be known as the Sprint Cup, after many years as the Winston Cup, now Monster Energy has become the primary sponsor, so it will probably now be known as the Monster Cup.  I like it, it has a certain panache.
Boy did this thread take a left turn, followed by a left turn, and a left turn, and a left turn.

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 02:23:11 PM »
All I know is that I look forward to looking back at this thread in a year or two.  I'm making no predictions because if I have learned anything over the last month, it's that I don't know sh@t!

For me it's all about the feeling of riding the wave.  Tapping into the power of the ocean if you will.  I've enjoyed windsurfing, kiting, wakeboarding, etc., but the use of the outside power source (natural or otherwise) made them all feel very different.  And therefore never really hooked me.  Downwinding on the other hand is the closest thing to surfing for me, and that's why it is so damn addictive. 

Foiling doesn't seem all that different - at least not the way Kai makes it appear.  Think of all the development and technology that has already gone into traditional dw boards - all with the purpose of making it easier to catch and connect glides: longer, lighter, hollow, steering systems, $500 paddles.  The whole point is to catch, ride, and connect bumps - otherwise you're just out paddling.  If the foil makes this easier and more fun, then I'm in!

Of course right now it's all speculation (at least for me).  I can't wait to have an informed opinion  ;D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 03:43:27 PM »
Two wrongs don't make a right, but four lefts make a NASCAR race.

My favorite T shirt says "Too dumb for Opera, Too smart for NASCAR."

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2016, 04:58:30 PM »
My opinion is both are fine and DW boards won't become obsolete.

Also factor in that most people don't have the money or time to dedicate to foiling.  Foiling will not more make DW boards obsolete than town in surfing made prone paddling into the wave obsolete.  Ironically, tow-in is now all but obsolete. Also ironic is that foiling more or less is an offshoot of towing.  Oh that crazy Laird.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal