Author Topic: Off Season Training for Racing Rookie  (Read 5614 times)

SUPDaddyBear

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Off Season Training for Racing Rookie
« on: November 30, 2016, 06:14:30 AM »
Hi All,

I have just completed my first ever SUP race season (in England) taking part in the N1SCO and UK SUP Club races. I was relatively new to SUP so it took me a while to get used to the width of the new board but I have learnt loads and had a great time!

I am now looking forward to next season and am trying to plan my training. Unfortunately I don't have time to go to the gym so am looking for some ideas of workouts/exercises to do at home when the kids are in bed!?

I'm also thinking of making myself a balance board to try at home but never used one before so any pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers,
James

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Off Season Training for Racing Rookie
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 06:52:19 AM »
I’ve spent some time in England and I’m just wondering: what do you mean by off season?

Is that when the electricity is shut off? Or when the pubs close? Because I hardly noticed much difference in temperature throughout the year. Rainfall neither.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 07:22:15 AM »
Yeah, it's pretty much just wet, windy and miserable all year round in England :)

Someone will be along in a moment to suggest kettle bells, but before they do I'll get in with this:

http://www.outsideonline.com/1918216/dave-kalamas-five-exercises-every-athlete

It wouldn't be hard to make your own balance board. But you can buy some balance trainers cheap on e.g. eBay, or flash the cash and get an Indo Board. Or use a slackline. Plenty of options, you don't need much equipment to train balance. You can also use your SUP balanced on one of the Indo Gigante cushions.

There are usually quite a few races over winter, to stop yourself from getting out of shape.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 07:25:37 AM »
Welcome to the Zone SUPDaddyBear!

Obviously Yugi has not spent enough time in England to know that the sunny warm days only happen on Bank Holidays every year like clockwork. If you are not there on a Bank Holiday, Yugi, I can understand why you may think that the temperature remains the same and it always rains...

Keeping fit with kids and a job with long commutes and long hours has been my life for the last 12 years, and I have tried many things to keep fit and only found that actually getting out on the water, come rain or sunshine really works. If you look at one of our forum members here, SUPtheCreek, you will see he gets out in the middle of winter and the only thing that stops him is if the water is frozen over. So my first suggestion would be to research cold water paddling and what to wear and try your hardest to get out on the water. Here we don't get the cold, but at this time of year we get the dark.. and so training often takes place before it gets light or after dark. We do this in the bays that have lots of street lighting and after a few sessions doing this it works well.

When I travel and cannot SUP, I get on a treadmill or elliptical trainer for cardio or go for a brisk walk or run followed by something similar to Nikki Gregg's workout (see vid below). At home I also have a very old elliptical trainer, and a balance board (which are not that hard to make) but I only use them when I can't get out on the water.

Here is another vid that I have watched before and use these types of exercises when I can find a gym. Usually other gym users think I'm mad... but perhaps you could set something like this up..

Of course, if you have a SUP Gym near you... or you can build one of the machines in one... then everything will be solved. ;D ;D

« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 07:41:24 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 01:55:37 PM »
Jumping rope...or skipping is a killer.

If you have a bike...preferably a road bike...get a turbo trainer and workout....

If you don't want to buy anything....do sets of burpees and stretching exercises.

Best of all....when kids in bed get to a local pool....if you have a Mrs to keep watch.

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 03:20:03 PM »
Or one might suggest you paddle all year long in every weather condition !
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 03:28:09 PM »
Yep, that's what I do. Some folk can't though because their water is all frozen over - although not in the UK.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 03:29:35 PM »
Hi All,

I have just completed my first ever SUP race season (in England) taking part in the N1SCO and UK SUP Club races. I was relatively new to SUP so it took me a while to get used to the width of the new board but I have learnt loads and had a great time!

I am now looking forward to next season and am trying to plan my training. Unfortunately I don't have time to go to the gym so am looking for some ideas of workouts/exercises to do at home when the kids are in bed!?

I'm also thinking of making myself a balance board to try at home but never used one before so any pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers,
James

Get hold of a cheap concept 2 rower on eBay James. I've just come up from my garage having done some weights too. Alternatively, just wait until spring as I don't want you getting any fitter. ;-) Best wishes, bryce.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 03:30:41 PM »
Yep, that's what I do. Some folk can't though because their water is all frozen over - although not in the UK.

It was minus 3 in the south when I got out before work this morning. I don't want to do that too often !

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 04:35:14 PM »

It was minus 3 in the south when I got out before work this morning. I don't want to do that too often !
Yep, I was out too. I actually ended up overheating badly though because I was wearing too much rubber and didn't fall in, and didn't take hydration. I actually felt faint by the time I got to shore and had to sit on the beach for a while, with sweat dripping out of my wetsuit sleeves despite the frosting of ice on the shore. Rookie errors.

SUPDaddyBear

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 04:09:36 AM »
I’ve spent some time in England and I’m just wondering: what do you mean by off season?

Is that when the electricity is shut off? Or when the pubs close? Because I hardly noticed much difference in temperature throughout the year. Rainfall neither.

This is why I need some ideas of things to do indoors :-)

Thankfully the pubs NEVER close :-)

SUPDaddyBear

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 04:19:06 AM »
Welcome to the Zone SUPDaddyBear!

Obviously Yugi has not spent enough time in England to know that the sunny warm days only happen on Bank Holidays every year like clockwork. If you are not there on a Bank Holiday, Yugi, I can understand why you may think that the temperature remains the same and it always rains...

Keeping fit with kids and a job with long commutes and long hours has been my life for the last 12 years, and I have tried many things to keep fit and only found that actually getting out on the water, come rain or sunshine really works. If you look at one of our forum members here, SUPtheCreek, you will see he gets out in the middle of winter and the only thing that stops him is if the water is frozen over. So my first suggestion would be to research cold water paddling and what to wear and try your hardest to get out on the water. Here we don't get the cold, but at this time of year we get the dark.. and so training often takes place before it gets light or after dark. We do this in the bays that have lots of street lighting and after a few sessions doing this it works well.

When I travel and cannot SUP, I get on a treadmill or elliptical trainer for cardio or go for a brisk walk or run followed by something similar to Nikki Gregg's workout (see vid below). At home I also have a very old elliptical trainer, and a balance board (which are not that hard to make) but I only use them when I can't get out on the water.

Here is another vid that I have watched before and use these types of exercises when I can find a gym. Usually other gym users think I'm mad... but perhaps you could set something like this up..

Of course, if you have a SUP Gym near you... or you can build one of the machines in one... then everything will be solved. ;D ;D

Thanks for the vids Off-Shore, they look really good!

I agree the best thing is getting on the water but takes a bit more motivation to get out there when its so cold!! All though the family and I are heading out at the weekend in full festive outfits but we won't be doing much in the way of training!

SUPDaddyBear

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 04:27:18 AM »
Hi All,

Cheers,
James

Get hold of a cheap concept 2 rower on eBay James. I've just come up from my garage having done some weights too. Alternatively, just wait until spring as I don't want you getting any fitter. ;-) Best wishes, bryce.

I should have known I'd hear from you Bryce. With all the training in the world I don't think I'll be catching up with you so you don't need to worry too much ;-)

Cheers for that, I'll have a look at the concept 2's on ebay... have you got one of those Turbo Trainers? If so any buying tips?

supthecreek

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2016, 05:46:03 AM »
Hi SUPdaddy BEAR!

Not need to hibernate.... with proper gear and a different understanding of what winter can be..... "there is NO offseason"
I swear... cold season paddling is amazing and very comfortable... I do not suffer in the least. I fricking love it.

I am finishing up a post about winter paddling - keep an eye out for it... I'll explain all the gear, considerations and whatnot.

Offshore said:
"SUPtheCreek, you will see he gets out in the middle of winter and the only thing that stops him is if the water is frozen over. "

Partially true  :)

SUPDaddyBear

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 06:44:48 AM »
Wow SUPthecreek, those are some chilly conditions!! Great photos too!

The post sounds great, looking forward to it. I recently got a winter wetsuit and boots but that's about all I have for proper cold weather so will be great to hear what you suggest in the post. Just need to brave it in the sea now!  :-\

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal