Author Topic: The fall and winter Maliko report  (Read 58382 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: The fall and winter Maliko report
« Reply #225 on: November 28, 2016, 09:02:49 AM »
I read that again this morning and realized I made it sound much worse than it was--not ten feet of whitewater. they weren't breaking waves. I meant a ten-foot windswell with whitewater on the top. Still knocked me off my feet, but there's a world of difference.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #226 on: November 28, 2016, 09:04:01 AM »
Dave Kalama was out on an OC-2 and called it as heavy as he'd ever seen... which is something.  Another pal of ours, a regular and strong downwinder, broke his leash outside Sprecks and had to swim in.  He's searching for his board on the shore of West Maui but given that the east swell was over ten feet, his board is probably trashed.  PBill and I stuck together which was, as our friend Randy found out, essential.  But we're both geezers and carry no bravado of a lone lion.  I knew if we watched each other on day like that we'd have a prayer.  Jesus sure wasn't going to save us.

We also both checked our leashes..  in fact PBill wove another leash inside his coil leash for the double effect.  I picked the threads and dirt out of my velcro. 

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #227 on: November 28, 2016, 01:17:08 PM »
Randy's board, which was a loaner from JR, after it ended up on the east shore of West Maui. 

So much for the idea of West Maui 'catching' you if you just sat down and gave up.  It would catch you like the slaughterhouse.

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #228 on: November 28, 2016, 01:24:40 PM »
Unreal!  Based on the swell you are talking about I am guessing he was pretty far out when he got tagged.  Where was he swimming in when the lifeguards found him?  Guessing he would have drifted almost to Kanaha in those wild conditions.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 28, 2016, 05:54:30 PM »
Randy's board, which was a loaner from JR, after it ended up on the east shore of West Maui. 

So much for the idea of West Maui 'catching' you if you just sat down and gave up.  It would catch you like the slaughterhouse.

Obviously a warranty issue.

I'd rather get caught in DOH at Sand Piles than continue unimpeded to Tahiti.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal