Author Topic: Brew, buds, or spirits  (Read 2468 times)

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Brew, buds, or spirits
« on: November 26, 2016, 03:35:54 PM »
Very interesting read on the smoking vs. drinking popularity, and why the US alcohol industry is concerned.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
US drinks industry ponders effect of cannabis legalization
As legal use spreads some groups fear a competitive threat, others spy an opportunity

This Thanksgiving, Californians may have been tempted to include an additional ingredient in their pumpkin pies. Marijuana was legalized in the US’s most populous state this month, reflecting a mellowing of social attitudes towards the drug.
Alongside the presidential election, five states voted on whether to legalize the recreational use of cannabis, with Maine, Massachusetts and Nevada, voting in favor, along with California.

But one sector is watching the spread of legalization with a degree of trepidation: the $200bn US alcohol industry. Though alcohol and weed might seem eminently compatible to some, a number of brewers fear cannabis as a competitive threat, with some industry groups going as far as contributing funds to anti-legalization campaigns.

Boston Beer Company, the largest craft brewer in the US with brands that include Samuel Adams and Angry Orchard cider, said the widening legalization of marijuana posed a risk to its sales.

“It is possible that legal marijuana usage could adversely impact the demand for the company’s products,” argued its regulatory filing in February. The Massachusetts-based brewer added: “We also believe that impacts the craft beer industry.”

In Massachusetts, the Beer Distributors’ PAC, an industry body, donated $25,000 this year to a campaign group fighting legalization.

For the rest with charts, graphs, and everything~
https://www.ft.com/content/f72c1f00-b254-11e6-a37c-f4a01f1b0fa1
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Speaking just for myself, I don't think the brewers have that that much to worry about, you smoke, you get cotton mouth, you grab a beer.
But the distillers may have reason to, you smoke, you get cotton mouth, you grab a martini or a scotch?  I don't know any of those.
Vintners are probably okay as well, a good bud goes very well with a glass of fine Pinot noir, or almost any good wine.

I've got pics of my parents and their friends partying back in the 50's and early 60's, they were all holding hard liquor doubles, nobody (normal) drinks like that anymore, unless they have a problem.

It takes a quiver to do that.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Re: Brew, buds, or spirits
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 04:08:27 PM »
I have to admit, alcohol was never my intoxicant of choice. I like it much more as an adult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 04:14:26 PM »
You can't get much more protectionist than fighting to keep your competitors' products illegal. 

The good news is that seeing the alcohol industry fighting pot legalization is that it drives home the absurdity of keeping pot illegal while alcohol remains legal (as it should be).  Medicinal pot is getting hit from the pharmaceutical industry at the same time, driving home that absurdity of allowing tremendously expensive drugs with horrendous side effects while banning a cheap (and sometimes more effective) alternative with few.

If legalizing marijuana does hurt the alcohol industry, it will be accompanied by a growth in the legal pot industry, so that's not a detriment to society overall.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 07:57:49 PM »
Sure..... ;D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 08:00:00 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 09:06:06 PM »
Funny that they haven't considered the PR risk of taking that kind of stance. It certainly pisses me off to hear that the alcohol industry and big pharma are fighting legalization because of competitive issues. Trying to take away your customer's opportunity to choose is a pretty fucked stance. I've had my last Sam Adams and Angry Orchard. Kind of a sucky beer anyway.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 09:23:20 PM »
Here in Texas, smoking pot is illegal. But if it were legal; even though I don't smoke, if I were a smoker and pot was legal....given the choice to smoke a joint or drink a craft beer, I'd drink the craft beer without a moments hesitation so I don't think the brewers have much to worry about.

And at this time of the year, a Wasatch Pumpkin Seasonal is my choice.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

SpaceCoastPaul

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 04:37:47 AM »
I believe that cannabis is a superior drug to alcohol, but alcohol has a far superior delivery mechanism.

I believe that cannabis legalization will have a significant impact on alcohol consumption, particularly when today's teenagers become young adults.

Regardless, it is nice to see this nation's disasterous, ineffective and costly war on drugs slowly unravel.

8'8" x 31" Stu Sharpe WaveHog
10' x 32" Foote

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal