Author Topic: Logic check: Gooru vest just in case.  (Read 16601 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Logic check: Gooru vest just in case.
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2016, 03:02:14 AM »

Another useful thing about the Gooru is, if you start to overheat in your wetsuit and you want to take off your gloves to cool down, you can store them inside the vest while you surf.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2016, 05:35:06 AM »
The strechyness of the gooru makes it nice and warm. The ziperlessness makes it a good padding for between boards when stacking for downwinders.

The trick to take it off is to first tuck one arm into the vest, wriggle it down and out and then in lifting your arm the vest peels up and off over your head. As illustrated in the instructions.

The L is not baggy on me but I’d use an M because it is that strechy.

Going to try your getting off the Gooru technique as I failed miserably the other day over my 6 mm. Thought I might have to ask for help.  ;D

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2016, 05:52:19 AM »

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2016, 11:02:31 AM »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2016, 01:37:04 PM »
Damn. I cut the hell out of my Patagonia vest because I couldn't get it off. I bet that would have worked.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2016, 01:56:12 PM »
Wearing a long sleeve fitted rash guard underneath my impact vest makes it easier to remove.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2016, 12:32:23 PM »
My Gooru vest arrived yesterday and I surfed in it the first time today.  I really like it.  Not really floaty but just right.  I kicked out on a wave today only to find a larger wave just about break on my head.  Dove under it and had no trouble getting below, but the vest brought me to the surface quickly too.  I also love the extra warmth factor.  Thanks for the guidance everyone.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2016, 03:16:14 PM »
Anybody tried the DK surface vest.

http://www.dakine.com/sport/kiteboard/kite-harnesses/surface-vest.html

Would like to kill 2 birds with one stone for SUP and kiting.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2016, 06:17:07 PM »
I have the O'Neill and the Dakine.  I prefer the zippered Dakine, a little floatier.

I was really grateful for it today, three hold downs, two that FELT lengthy.  I knew struggling and panic wasn't any use, so I just relaxed as best I could until I came to the surface to take some deep breaths before the next beat down. I also lost my paddle twice and found it again.  There were some violent ground swells coming through.  It's amazing how such a short experience can really make your heart pound and get you out of breath.

I do wear it as standard equipment out there.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2017, 09:25:45 AM »
I've been trying a Gill Compressor vest racing pfd recently. I wear waist hydration and a waist leash belt when downwinding and the bulk of the Gooru around the waist can get awkward. The Compressor vest has less bulk on the hips, gives more flotation, gives protection to ribs etc, is easy to swim in, is easy to get in and out of, and doesn't ride up in big wipe-outs. So far it's a thumbs up from me - and I have several pfds already. Dunno if it is sold in the US though?

http://www.gillmarine.com/gb/compressor-vest.html

A10 - does the Compressor have padding around the sides like the Gooru, or is it just neoprene on the sides, with the foam panels on the front and back only? It's hard to tell from the pictures on their site. The shorter Compressor looks like it would fit me more comfortably than the longer Gooru, but I want some protection from a shot to the ribs from the side.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2017, 09:45:16 AM »
It's just neoprene at the sides, for about a 4" strip. You'd have to be pretty unlucky to land right there because your arms would usually cover it, but I suppose it could happen. There is more padding on the chest and back than you get with the Gooru, so if you fell on those parts you'd be better protected. The Compressor is a proper CE approved buoyancy aid, whereas the Gooru isn't. So I guess there's no perfect solution, and you choose the risks that you want to take. The Gooru is sleeker and covers a bigger area, whereas the Compressor provides more buoyancy, is more stable in position in a big wipe-out (assuming you are wearing them on the outside of a wetsuit), and if you did take a hit to the upper back or chest, it would provide more protection. Impact vest vs. buoyancy aid, I guess. I tend to use the Gooru if I'm not going to be crazy far offshore (e.g. not more than about a mile), and the Compressor if I'm going to be a couple of miles offshore.

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2017, 12:33:38 PM »
When I'm wiping out badly or in the water in a bad spot relative to my board and a wave, I find my arms are often up flailing for balance or protecting my head rather than down at my sides, so I'd feel better about having some protection from the side too. I'd use this mostly for near shore surf and downwinding too, so the slightly reduced buoyancy is probably ok too. With the Gooru being a little cheaper and easier to return on Amazon right now, I think I'll give that one a shot first, and if it doesn't fit well, I'll try Compressor.

Thanks for the helpful review of both!

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2017, 08:45:12 PM »
I've been using the Guru now for a couple of months and really like it.  I surf a lot alone and it gives me some peace of mind to know that I will at least float if something were to happen.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2017, 09:09:19 PM »
Using the Gooru for about a year under my wetsuits. At this time of year the added warmth is appreciated. Rib protection and a bit of float for safety. A bit too warm in the summer but the water is cold and I spend a fair bit of time in it.

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2017, 01:58:15 AM »
Btw a friend of mine recently broke his ribs SUP surfing even though he was wearing an Ion Vector, which is an impact vest similar to the Gooru. So, although impact vests will definitely help, it is not a certain solution.

Just something to bear in mind. I love my Gooru, but you have to understand its limits. I did take a hit to the ribs in mine once from the rail of my board and although my ribs did not break - as far as I know - I was very sore and bruised for a while, despite the hit not being that big. So, impact vests do help for sure. But they don't provide as much protection as you might think.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal