Author Topic: Logic check: Gooru vest just in case.  (Read 16597 times)

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Logic check: Gooru vest just in case.
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2016, 09:01:32 PM »
I think the little bit of extra float,  warmth, and rib protection these vests provide could them worthwhile, though I'm really much more worried about head injuries than anything a vest would protect me from. When I'm in the water in the impact zone,  my head is a lot more exposed than my torso,  especially when surfacing after a disorienting spin through the wash. I also like to be able to dive deep to safety if I get caught with my board between me and a breaking wave. I wonder if a floatation vest might keep me in harm's way in that situation.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2016, 08:54:00 AM »
I've been trying a Gill Compressor vest racing pfd recently. I wear waist hydration and a waist leash belt when downwinding and the bulk of the Gooru around the waist can get awkward. The Compressor vest has less bulk on the hips, gives more flotation, gives protection to ribs etc, is easy to swim in, is easy to get in and out of, and doesn't ride up in big wipe-outs. So far it's a thumbs up from me - and I have several pfds already. Dunno if it is sold in the US though?

http://www.gillmarine.com/gb/compressor-vest.html

Just for info...the O'Neill Tech Comp impact vest has the foam taken out of the bottom of the vest so you can put on a harness/ waist pfd or waist hydration. It isn't going to provide same flotation as the Compressor but it does a nice snug not hinderance feel and gives protection ribs up. I still reckon a proper pfd is better for DW in winter for me personally...I can get everything in it....but it isn't as easy to get back on the board.

Where do you put your VHF and plb?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 08:56:40 AM by coldsup »

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2016, 09:07:51 AM »
I think the little bit of extra float,  warmth, and rib protection these vests provide could them worthwhile, though I'm really much more worried about head injuries than anything a vest would protect me from. When I'm in the water in the impact zone,  my head is a lot more exposed than my torso,  especially when surfacing after a disorienting spin through the wash. I also like to be able to dive deep to safety if I get caught with my board between me and a breaking wave. I wonder if a floatation vest might keep me in harm's way in that situation.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That's why I want a vest with just a little flotation; so I can still dive, if need be.  A helmet would be a good idea too, but I'll probably never wear one of those.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 09:15:41 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2016, 12:58:59 PM »
I also like to be able to dive deep to safety if I get caught with my board between me and a breaking wave. I wonder if a flotation vest might keep me in harm's way in that situation.

100% Wrong

I only hear these comments from surfers WHO HAVE NEVER USED A VEST.  This is akin to those who used to claim they didn't wear their seatbelts because they would rather 'Be flown free from the crashing vehicle.' 

I have been using an O'Neill Gooru for 7 years and wear it in everything from 2 to 18 feet.  Above 18 feet I put on 2 vests.   This video shows my standard 'Kit' which includes:

Rashguard, High-School rib protector, O'Neill Gooru and Wetsuit. 

This is a lot of float and typically puts the waterline 2" below my shoulder when vertical in the water. 

When motivated I can still dive under a wave with one hand on the paddle.  1st Photo shows small conditions, 2nd shows upper limit of single vest.

PS:  Whatever your comfort level is with surf e.g. I'm comfortable to 6 ft, or 8 ft . . . a vest will immediately add 4 ft to your comfort level. 

« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 01:12:41 PM by Beasho »

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2016, 03:36:54 PM »
How hard is it to get the Gooru on and off?  No straps, right?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 03:39:32 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2016, 04:06:29 PM »
Yeah, perfectly easy to get in and off. Well, no harder than any other type of wetsuit kit. No straps, no zips. It's quite stretchy and flexible so it's very comfortable. If you'd be safer wearing one then it's pretty dim not to, really. They add a nice bit of warmth too, so you see our South African colleagues pairing them with boardshorts for downwinders.

They do make it a little bit harder to dive underwater if you are starting from just floating in the water (as opposed to diving off your board) but if the extra flotation is enough to prevent you from diving then to be quite honest you probably shouldn't be out there anyway.

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2016, 04:19:35 PM »
Do these vests lose buoyancy over time? I've had mine for 3 years. Seems to be ok except for the loose threading I have to trim every so often. How often do you guys replace them?

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2016, 06:13:54 PM »
Is the Gooru considered a wakeboard vest?  Gooru wakeboard is the only vest I'm finding online.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2016, 10:57:17 PM »
That's the one. It doesn't have a strap but that's only a problem in bigger surf as a tumbling can leave it partially pulled up over your head. If worn under a suit or surf shirt also not a problem.

I don't find it easy to get off, but it's a managable though not beautiful moment.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2016, 11:26:12 PM »
I've been trying a Gill Compressor vest racing pfd recently. I wear waist hydration and a waist leash belt when downwinding and the bulk of the Gooru around the waist can get awkward. The Compressor vest has less bulk on the hips, gives more flotation, gives protection to ribs etc, is easy to swim in, is easy to get in and out of, and doesn't ride up in big wipe-outs. So far it's a thumbs up from me - and I have several pfds already. Dunno if it is sold in the US though?

http://www.gillmarine.com/gb/compressor-vest.html

Just for info...the O'Neill Tech Comp impact vest has the foam taken out of the bottom of the vest so you can put on a harness/ waist pfd or waist hydration. It isn't going to provide same flotation as the Compressor but it does a nice snug not hinderance feel and gives protection ribs up. I still reckon a proper pfd is better for DW in winter for me personally...I can get everything in it....but it isn't as easy to get back on the board.

Where do you put your VHF and plb?
In the pockets of my Camelbak Baja. It's a hydration pack that combines a waist-mounted bladder with a shoulder-mounting, so is the best of both worlds. I have various full pfds as well, but they make swimming too difficult. If I got parted from my board in a full pfd I'd be unable to make my way to shore under my own steam. Yet the cold and remoteness of UK downwinding means that getting to shore under your own steam is by far your best bet. As you'll know, a 4 or 5mm wetsuit already adds some buoyancy even before a pfd.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2016, 03:57:39 AM »
I'm really much more worried about head injuries than anything a vest would protect me from. When I'm in the water in the impact zone,  my head is a lot more exposed than my torso,  especially when surfacing after a disorienting spin through the wash. I also like to be able to dive deep to safety if I get caught with my board between me and a breaking wave. I wonder if a floatation vest might keep me in harm's way in that situation.

Hey Luke, whenever I think the board might be above me after a wipe out, I just put my free hand above my head for protection as I come to the surface.

I think if you used a tail handle, it would lessen the chances of getting hit by your board while in the impact zone. Loose boards are dangerous.

There is no need to ever dive under a wave. You should be on the surface controlling your board. You shouldn't have to retrieve your board every time you get hit by a wave.

Only in a few very rare cases have I ever ditched my board and that's when it's well overhead and a wave is threatening to break right on top of me. I don't want to be anywhere near the board in that situation.

If I think a whitewater wave is too big to paddle over, I will jump off the board and grab the tail handle.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 04:40:10 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2016, 06:03:50 AM »
After my SCA I wanted to get some extra protection in the area where my ICD was installed. An impact there could be most shocking - literally!

Checked around and got some excellent advice from supdisco - competition water skier, and pdlsfr who both had the Gooru.

Helps some with float, and is awesome as an impact vest. Easy on and off. Took a shot in the ribs in a Hurricane 🌀 swell with no ill effects. Tiny by beasho standards, big enough by mine.

It will look ratty with use. Oh dear..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2016, 09:43:25 AM »
I used my O'Neil Tech comp impact vest fir surfing today fir the first time...mainly because I was feeling cold....but hey....I think this is one to wear all winter....the wee bit of extra buoyancy is great and you don't feel much when you hit the water. Bugger getting it off!

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2016, 10:21:37 AM »
Is the amount of buoyancy provided by the Gooru vest published anywhere?

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2016, 11:14:43 AM »
I think I read somewhere back when I was doing the research that the Competition Vests have about 15 pounds buoyancy. To be USCG approved, a vest has to have 35 pounds buoyancy.

I can't confirm that but it should be online somewhere.

The Gooru (now called the "Gooru Tech") is a Competition vest.

http://us.oneill.com/shop/wetsuits/mens/wake-waterski-vests/

« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 11:32:15 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal