Author Topic: Logic check: Gooru vest just in case.  (Read 16608 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Logic check: Gooru vest just in case.
« on: November 25, 2016, 12:59:32 PM »
OCSurf and I have been talking about the wisdom of this, and I was wondering what your thoughts were on this idea:  I'm approaching 60 and wondering if I should wear mild flotation when I surf, like an Oneil Gooru, just in case something were to happen, getting knocked out, heart attack, whatever.   I rarely go out in really big surf; most of what I surf is head-high, usually below, so I don't need it for the same reasons as chargers like Beasho.  I'm in pretty good shape, surf every day, but you never know; something could happen to someone my age.  It would be nice to float face up if it did. Thoughts?

« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 01:11:10 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

dns

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Logic check: Gooru vest just in case.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 01:23:27 PM »
A Gooru isn't going to reliably float you face up if you pass out for whatever reason. You need a Mae West style for that, which makes no sense for SUP. If you're worried about the danger factor you need to go out with a friend or two, or at least go where there are other people.

Having said that the Gooru makes sense for wearing when you don't have to duck dive, like on a SUP. Less so for regular surf.

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 01:41:26 PM »
Hey Zoo:  I've been wearing the same patagonia big wave vest now for a couple of seasons and I wear it all the time regardless of wave size.  It provides a good bit of float but will NOT float you face up.  I like it a lot as it provides some extra warmth (~1mm or so), fits well, provides torso protection (ribs: front and back from board whacks), and is floaty.  I think there's several out there on the market and there's been some info post here in the past on the different manufacturers and model.  Here's the link for the Patagonia vest I like:

http://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-r1-padded-big-wave-vest/88200.html
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 02:20:06 PM »
I've got a gooru and wear it in bigger surf. I like that I get to the surface quicker, feel more comfortable  and I don't care what others think of me.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 02:27:00 PM »
I wear one for anything over three feet (Hawaiian), meaning head high. I have both the Gooru and the patagonia. They're a bit of a bitch to get off with my crap shoulders, so the next on I get will have a zipper.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 02:40:40 PM »

I wear the Gooru Tech Comp whenever it's head high or above. It gets me to the surface quick and pretty much guarantees I'll be able to swim to shore regardless of how exhausted I get. It also protects my ribs if I happen to fall on the board.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 02:45:02 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 02:42:00 PM »
CORRECTION: I didn't mean to imply that I thought the vest would turn a person face up if he became unconscious.  I just meant that it would help you keep your head above water if you were incapacitated.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 02:50:27 PM »
Impact vests are actually pretty good to swim in--not as fast, but you don't have to use as much energy for the speed you do manage. My swimming skills have deteriorated with successive shoulder crap, so I'm not gonna be fast anyway.

With our relatively big boards (in volume if not length) the stuff that works fine for surfers is sometimes not enough. I've been hit by my surf and windsurfing boards many times without real injury. I got hit in the breastbone with my 9' SUP and pulverized the bone. Still have a big knot three years later.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 03:16:19 PM »
Oneil also makes a USCG Approved vest called the Revenge. I use it on big days and I find it compact enough that it doesn't get in the way. It wont turn you face up if you are unconscious, but it is buoyant enough to keep you afloat without any physical effort. That plus a waist leash is probably as safe as you can hope for. Plus it zips in front, which I like.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 03:29:07 PM »
 They're a bit of a bitch to get off with my crap shoulders, so the next on I get will have a zipper.

You fully figured out the "houdini" maneuver?

MaineSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 05:31:40 PM »
Prior posts on the gooru impact vest convinced me and I got one a few months ago and wear it whenever I surf.  Comfortable, can still swim, provides some warmth, protects from rib shots, and pops you back to surface a little bit sooner.

Also, if worn under a wetsuit it looks like 15-20 pounds of added muscle :D.

Coreban Dart 14'
SIC Bullet 14 V2
Sunova Speeed 9'2"
Red Sport 12'6"

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 05:42:39 PM »
I think they are a good idea in some conditions.

But as an aside, a day will come when I have a strong do not resuscitate order for all my buddies. If I slip unconscious out in the lineup I don't want some goofball bringing me back to "live" in an assisted care facility after I've been oxygen deprived for a few minutes.

Acceptance is key in this life and slipping away under the waves at a break I love is about the best exit I can imagine.

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2016, 07:00:19 PM »
I've been wearing the Body Glove Vapor impact vest in all conditions for a few years now. Keeps me nice and warm. Good security blanket on bigger days.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2016, 07:26:54 PM »
I'm going to get one for bigger days. I'm going to have to get one with straps I can lengthen or have my sister modify one. Nothing I've seen fits me so far. I def need to get one. My swimming sucks these days too. At least compared to the old me...like my bro I have partially functioning arms these days. I also have shitty lungs. Long history of asthma, bronchitis, and pneumonia...it's what will kill me someday no doubt. Bad combo on the water for sure.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 12:21:46 AM »
I've been trying a Gill Compressor vest racing pfd recently. I wear waist hydration and a waist leash belt when downwinding and the bulk of the Gooru around the waist can get awkward. The Compressor vest has less bulk on the hips, gives more flotation, gives protection to ribs etc, is easy to swim in, is easy to get in and out of, and doesn't ride up in big wipe-outs. So far it's a thumbs up from me - and I have several pfds already. Dunno if it is sold in the US though?

http://www.gillmarine.com/gb/compressor-vest.html

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal