Author Topic: clear deck pad  (Read 8605 times)

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
clear deck pad
« on: January 18, 2013, 06:35:17 PM »
I see that VGT sports is offering a clear deck pad for  traction  that would be awesome over a  nice balsa wood  deck. Has any one seen them  the website is WWW.vgtsports.com
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

SUPerstitious

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: clear deck pad
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 09:19:51 PM »
Monster spray comes in a can, and will cover two or more boards for way less money.

Neat idea, but Monster spray works pretty well and has the same benefits of being clear.
I'm gettin' funny dreams again and again
I know what it means, but …

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 01:09:40 AM »
I use versatraction, a clear deck pad on my "noseriding" boards, and monster paint traction on my other boards.

- clear pad advantages: less abrasive on the skin, does not wear out, no grip when dry (so slips easily in and out the bag), adds a protective layer to the board (protects from paddle hits), easy to remove (for selling board if needed), soft touch underfoot (pleasant for walking around) unlike the "windsurfing board" feeling of the monster paint (has micro holes, where monster has micro bumps), can be applied indoors.

- monster traction advantages: really clear (versatraction is clear only when wet), you can adjust the compromise traction / abrasion by the number of layers, easier to apply on curved surfaces. Positive grip feel as soon as the feet touches hit, the verstraction can feel slippery when your feet hovers on it without full pressure.

I think I will only use monster paint in the future though, as versatraction shipping costs to France are insane (you pay as much postage as the price of the items...)

ED-PV

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 07:50:21 PM »
I use versatrac as well and really like it.  It is on the back of my race boards for buoy turns and when I have to get back on them when surfing.  It is really a clean look traction is great.

You can hardly see it in the first pic, and on the second pic you can see it in the suns reflection:

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 12:41:21 AM »

for me versatraction is good for the nose, but not liking it anywhere else.

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 01:25:28 PM »
I have this Versa traction on a nose of a few boards and it last well and works well.  It is like the monster paint but it last longer.  I have a longboard with it on the nose for 14 years.  As a main pad it will tear you and your clothes up. It will sand your fingers and toes to the bone with constant use.  It is not like the Starboard Startouch, it is more like Monster paint.

I tried the cushy (1/4 " thick) versa traction as a full pad for surfing and it was not good enough.  Had to take it off and repad with hydro turf.  Repad = PITA.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 06:06:52 PM »
I got a sample today it is jut a thin layer of traction stuff not what I was  hoping for.  oh well
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 10:55:39 AM »
Versatraction is ok, not as grippy as I like and expensive.
Monster is too aggressive.

I prefer a pad for the mid and tail sections
of a Surf Sup.

I use Krylon Non-Skid (Clear) available from Walmart for less than $4.00
a can for the nose. To me it is just right, not too agressive and not slippy.
Can't beat the Price...

Ralph
Sup-position
Huntington Beach, California, USA
(714) 899-3020

www.Sup-position.com
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 01:09:10 PM »

of a Surf Sup.

Can't beat the Price...

Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020

www.Sup-position.com

Wow. Much cheaper than Monster.
Taller than most, shorter than others.

AM9K

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 01:29:29 PM »
I have some of the VGT material that I have used on a paddle and a couple boards.  Good stuff.  Plenty sticky for secondary traction like the nose of your board or to add some grip to a paddle it works very well.  I would not use it as primary traction on a board I was going to surf back foot.  Not even close.  But for some long board type riding with a regular traction pad in the rear and the VGT on the nose - I am very satisfied...  Stays on very well, but is also cleanly removable when you do need to get underneath for a repair or to add a sticker or something....  Not re-usable after removal, at least not with the same type of good adhesion, so you would need to replace anything you remove~ But its not going to leave a bunch of adhesive goo on the deck for you to scrub off, if you remove it halfway carefully.
Instagram/Twitter: @AM9K

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 03:05:24 PM »

of a Surf Sup.

Can't beat the Price...

Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020

www.Sup-position.com

Picked up a can today "Krylon Non-Skid (Clear)" our local Walmarts have discontinued this stuff.  :(

They had zero in stock, I had them look to see if any Walmart's still had a can and yes, another WM did have some cans on there clearance  shelves.  Put it on 2 boards, and it seems like good stuff. Thanks for the heads up.   Hope it not discontinued everywhere.
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 01:31:11 PM »

of a Surf Sup.

Can't beat the Price...

Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020

www.Sup-position.com

Picked up a can today "Krylon Non-Skid (Clear)" our local Walmarts have discontinued this stuff.  :(

They had zero in stock, I had them look to see if any Walmart's still had a can and yes, another WM did have some cans on there clearance  shelves.  Put it on 2 boards, and it seems like good stuff. Thanks for the heads up.   Hope it not discontinued everywhere.

Couldn't find any locally (Santa Cruz County doesn't have a WalMart) so I got some using Amazon (at a higher price).

Part of the versatraction on the nose had come up after about six years.  I re-glued it down but it was a crappy job.
So, I used an exacto knife and cut out the portion that had gone loose and left the rest on the nose of the board
and sprayed three light coats of Krylon on - including a bit onto some of the remaining versatraction to make it
a bit more grippy.  Finally, tested it.  Seemed pretty good - price was right.

Thanks for the heads up.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 07:42:45 PM »

of a Surf Sup.

Can't beat the Price...

Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020

www.Sup-position.com

Couldn't find any locally (Santa Cruz County doesn't have a WalMart) so I got some using Amazon (at a higher price).

Part of the versatraction on the nose had come up after about six years.  I re-glued it down but it was a crappy job.
So, I used an exacto knife and cut out the portion that had gone loose and left the rest on the nose of the board
and sprayed three light coats of Krylon on - including a bit onto some of the remaining versatraction to make it

Thanks for the heads up.

Can you please share the link on product you used? or exact name.  I want to make a tail section behind the deck pad grippy. Cannot decide between hexagons, "hot grip wax" and spray...
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 10:24:09 PM »

of a Surf Sup.

Can't beat the Price...

Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020

www.Sup-position.com

Thanks for the heads up.

Can you please share the link on product you used? or exact name.  I want to make a tail section behind the deck pad grippy. Cannot decide between hexagons, "hot grip wax" and spray...

exact name (ordered off Amazon, but I'd get at WalMart if close by)
"Krylon 3400 Clear Non-Skid Coating - 11 oz. Aerosol"

Also, on the tail section of my Laird, behind the normal deck pad, I slipped a couple of times
& I was sure I'd have stayed on for a great ride (lol) if I'd had grip there.  So, I just cut
some triangles of normal traction pad, spaced them out and added a few inches of extra traction around
the tail's traction pad - worked great.  Haven't slipped back there since (about five years ago).
I got the idea from some of the traction mosaic layouts posted on The Zone back when that was trendy.

Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal