Author Topic: Leave no trace  (Read 2377 times)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Leave no trace
« on: November 23, 2016, 02:46:33 AM »
Clean stroke

… and great interview
   https://www.facebook.com/supracerr/videos/1174595722624477/

As a sailor I know turbulence is the telltale sign of something slowing you down. Standup paddling is pretty damn simple: all we have is the contact with the water. Any turbulence with our contact with water leaves a trace.

I’ve always noticed how smooth Kai Lenny is. One see’s here how he doesn't bounce the board (a la starboard flex theory). What is amazing with this footage is that his paddle doesn’t leave the slightest trace in the water. Not once. Even in that last all out stretch.

Think about it!

SpaceCoastPaul

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Leave no trace
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 03:58:03 AM »
That was impressive.
8'8" x 31" Stu Sharpe WaveHog
10' x 32" Foote

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 07:49:36 AM »
The guy in front was blowing up--tossing water and only getting his paddle halfway in the water, but number two was going well. Kai's stroke is amazing, and you're right, everything--board, paddle, and body movement--smooth as glass and perfectly coordinated. The deep stroke is a revelation for me. Both Dave Kalama and Johnny Puakea have been focusing on getting the blade fully in the water and then pushing it deeper as you stroke. I've been thinking a lot about a new paddle design to optimize that stroke.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 10:45:06 AM »
I can't comment on stroke technique but certainly interesting to watch the boards travel through the water. The board of Marcus Hansen (if that's who is in 2nd) seems to accelerate then stall on each stroke. Lincoln's board seems to stay on a steady glide with his cadence but lot's of splashing. Kai on the other hand maintains a quick cadence and the board never seems to change speed between strokes. Just a steady glide through out. Quite amazing to see Kai make up that much distance in such a short amount of time. It certainly would make SUP racing more exciting if that happened all the time.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal