Author Topic: Need a new kickout method  (Read 9902 times)

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Need a new kickout method
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2016, 02:02:19 AM »
   i love looking at a good longboard kickout.  it's got a certain kind of class.  but what i need now is for pono to get his diane to shoot a vid of him doing it.  come on, bill!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2016, 09:19:13 AM »
You're going to have to wait a while. She's in Hood River with a new puppy, I'm in Maui with the wind howling.

It's the easiest kickout really, Just step back to the tail to make a deep 180 bottom turn, and just stay there when the turn finishes so the board comes up to you. Just remember to catch it with your hands instead of your face.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 09:22:22 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2016, 09:51:13 PM »
I want to add that a great summer day at Malibu will change your head about style. I should try to shoot some video the next swell after I'm worn out.

Linter, I'd offer that experimenting like Tall Dude says is kind of the best way to figure it out. I'd start by stepping all the way back and blowing it a few times, over turning. After a few falls you'll make one and that's all it takes.

In other good news, my longboard kick outs involve stiffening my back leg completely and the most stylish guys pick their front leg up so it should fit your stiff stance pretty well. I think classic upright longboard moves should be pretty adaptable for you.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2016, 02:49:18 AM »
  a good many trad longboard moves, well, at least im working on them.  i'll get some kind of kickout done right at some point.  no matter how good i do on a wave, it always feels like a blown ride if i don't exist cleanly.  so that's a lot of blown rides!
   i hear you, bill.  but i still want to see a vid :0).
   SC: let me know if you're coming down south this winter.  i'll be in san diego for a few months starting in a week.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2016, 05:44:52 PM »
Oh man, I just left SD an hour ago. I'll PM you. tThe in laws just bought a boat down there so you will be seeing my butt in SD far more often now that we have a place to stay.

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2016, 06:21:44 AM »
Found this surfing video that has some nice moves at ride end....stylish.  Check it out:

Min:Sec
00:04
01:00
01:26.

https://youtu.be/-cRH2pH_ts0

8)

Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2016, 06:56:52 AM »
Gosh...this one too...Cat has some smooth exits!!!

https://youtu.be/RGz8jU3b-do?t=78
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2016, 08:11:20 AM »
  both of those vids are great.  love watching alex knost surfing anything, but it's especially cool to see what he can do with crap waves.
  same thing with the first video, only better, because those guys are riding little hollow snapping beach-break type surf where you gotta move fast or else.  i especially like seeing the goofy foot stand up in a way forward position where it only takes one step to get toes over.  i've done that a few times, it feels good, getting up there so fast.
  as to the fly away kick out at the end -- i've got a friend that can do that because he's riding super-short, super-light SUPs.  and he can get some serious (if dangerous) height.  but on a fat and long and thick SUP like my Jimmy, I dunno.  Guess it can be done and i've tried it lots with no success.  I guess the trick would be to start to exit while you've still got a ton of speed.
  my preferred kickout right now, and i'm sure it's as ugly as all the rest, is to pivot out and drop right to my knees, stick the paddle b/ my legs, and start hand paddling back to the line up.  probably put some big dents in my board but the JLs are tough as nails, so I'm going to keep doing it.  anyway, it feels better than just falling off into the soup.

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2016, 07:44:40 PM »
    for the life o me, i can't kick out of a ride the way most SUPers do -- ie, still standing and ready to paddle back to the line up.  instead, i flop off or fall to my knees or -- well, whatever it is i do, it's ugly as sin, if not uglier.  makes even my best rides look and feel bad.
   my balance makes standing exits impossible.  that being the case, are there any other graceful ways to leave a wave?

Masters of the kickout https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0nvCKGMF4Q

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal