Author Topic: Need a new kickout method  (Read 9903 times)

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Need a new kickout method
« on: November 20, 2016, 12:47:10 PM »
    for the life o me, i can't kick out of a ride the way most SUPers do -- ie, still standing and ready to paddle back to the line up.  instead, i flop off or fall to my knees or -- well, whatever it is i do, it's ugly as sin, if not uglier.  makes even my best rides look and feel bad.
   my balance makes standing exits impossible.  that being the case, are there any other graceful ways to leave a wave?

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Need a new kickout method
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 12:53:24 PM »

You just need to keep practicing. If you are able to turn while on the wave, you should be able to turn up and over it. I'm pretty sure that's the only way. Maybe it's the board you are using.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 12:58:51 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 01:59:43 PM »
   i'm looking for something different that the standing exit.  don't want to get into the 'more practice needed' thing.  in fact, just assume i can do it and am trying to find alternatives.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 02:23:28 PM »

I see. It's a balance thing. I didn't realize you've been standup surfing since the dawn of the sport. You have a lot more experience than me.

I guess if it were me I'd just start the pull out and put my hands and maybe one knee on the deck for stability until I got over the wave and was able to stand again.

I'm sure there will be more opinions. What are you riding?

« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 02:37:43 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 02:39:34 PM »
You can do a longboard exit--turn out hard, step back and let the board come up to you. Catch it with both hands--rail with one, just fending off and stabilizing with the paddle hand--and go to your knees as the board drops back to the water, facing back out and ready to Pocahontas. I do this a lot in bigger waves because you have to step back more and turn harder to get out of the wave. I generally don't have the balance to get back to the middle of the board in the turbulence.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 03:55:01 PM »
   if i could do the trad longboard kick out, i'd be ***psyched***.  by any chance, do you know of any vids showing it done?  in all that i've seen, i can't recall one.  can you?
    I mean, i know what to do from your words but i'd sure love to see a demonstration.

badger: way to make me feel old, man, ha!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 09:28:03 PM »
I don't know of any videos, but it's a pretty straightforward thing. Get some longboarder to show you, any good one knows it cold.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 03:54:16 AM »
   i'm looking for something different that the standing exit.  don't want to get into the 'more practice needed' thing.  in fact, just assume i can do it and am trying to find alternatives.

Try the Hawaiian pullout (or island pullout).  Also a longboard move that's easier to do on smaller less powerful waves as they close out.  Walk to the nose of the board, pearl the nose as you turn into the wave, let the tail come around, crouch down a little, punch through as you take strong paddle stroke, boom, you're out the back.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 05:47:26 AM »
  i've attempted a standing island pull out before but, of course, i never come out the other end still standing.  usually ends up looking half assed.

bill: i know the move, i've just never seen it done with a big ass 10'x31" SUP, with rails that don't cut through water like a longboard's rails do, etc.  that said, i'm going to start giving it a try.

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 06:52:52 AM »
Linter:  You're right about not much on vid's as far as kickoff footage.  I just fall off every which way 80% of the time.....it keeps me cooled off.  :)

Personally, I like the way Creek exits waves sometimes....by going off the back end and kicking the board up and over sorta sideways.  I recall seeing a couple examples in his clips.  I think its especially useful after the wave closes out and (to me) looks kinda cool.
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 06:53:43 AM »
I have problems doing it too, that moment of instability as you go over the back gets me. I know you don't want to hear this but exit a little earlier before the wave starts to close...the smoother exit makes it easier to do. Carry as much speed as you can on your last drop and turn up and over the shoulder. If you're moving fast you never get much instability and what little there is gets taken care of by the paddle since you'll be stroking hard to get over the one behind it. The only times I make it clean is when I do that....and it feels like you finished the wave instead of bailing.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 08:13:05 AM »
  i've attempted a standing island pull out before but, of course, i never come out the other end still standing.  usually ends up looking half assed.

bill: i know the move, i've just never seen it done with a big ass 10'x31" SUP, with rails that don't cut through water like a longboard's rails do, etc.  that said, i'm going to start giving it a try.

Yeah, that's the biggest problem with it. You can compensate by turning much harder than a longboarder would. It's a casual move for a longboarder, much more dynamic for a SUP surfer.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 10:49:54 AM »
I think the problem is what you perceive yourself to look like when you kick out. I still dive over the back of the wave sometimes. That just comes from prone surfing. As it closes out, you make a split second decision to either kickout, try to smack the lip and make a hard cutback (mostly in my dreams) or outrun it. With prone surfing you can jump over the back of the wave. Do as Bean and Pono said with long board, or outrun the closeout then turn into the white water and dive over the top of it. You can do the same thing on a SUP, it's OK. Everyone who prone surfed before they SUP surfed does or did the same thing. Supping does give you more options at the end of a wave. As Stoney said, plan for you exit and maintain enough speed to do so. The reason we can finish still standing on a SUP is because of the paddle. The paddle is your handrail to grab on to. Your Ama. Your pole to swing around. Your brace. No matter if I'm kicking out, or stalling with my tail to let the white water pass, I stay up right because I'm bracing big time off of my paddle.
Bracing is a skill in it's own right. Separate from paddling, bracing encompasses many elements. Sometimes you just need a touch, like a cats whiskers. So you feather the blade allowing it to softly glide flat across the surface with just enough resistance to check your balance. Then there is the get low and and lay the paddle as flat as possible to give you maximum bracing to regain your balance. Sometimes this is blended with an almost reverse stroke to add braking as part of your attempt to regain your balance. And combinations there of. What ever it takes for you to stay upright as you kick out. I almost think of it as a stall. I bury my paddle as I turn my board out the back, and then just pause a moment with my paddle still anchored in the water. Using the force of the passing water against it to provide a solid brace that I can use to re-compose myself and start back out.
Of course, if you happened to take the first wave in the set, it's sometimes pointless. You're going to end up swimming anyway as the remaining set waves pound you...     
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 10:51:40 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 11:00:19 AM »
Yes definitely the paddle as Talldude said and get low when feeling out of balance.

Also spend a day at Malibu first point in the summer. It's a clinic on kickouts and bikinis. Better than a video.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 11:03:50 AM »
I see a lot of guys wait until they are almost at a dead stop or the wave has phased out to kick out.  With a larger sup this is especially hard...  Use your speed and glide on the wave and momentum to help you kick out.

Personally I like kicking out at a nice speed which takes me out of the wave and pointing directly back at sea and I use the glide to get me back out to the lineup fast.  This has helped me from getting cleaned up many , many times.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal