Author Topic: New (to me) board stoke session!  (Read 2986 times)

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
New (to me) board stoke session!
« on: November 18, 2016, 05:23:00 PM »
Picked up a board from fellow zoner wildman22_sup this past week. Just thanked him in the Classifieds

8'8 El Tigre- Riviera.  it has a stock FCS GoPro Mount on the nose.  Never used a nose mount before.  Bought the board- go pro on and caught some chest high NJ swell within an hour of buying.

Stoked. figured i'd share some of the screenshots.  Defintly need to get the angle of the camera better- way too much sky!

*no I didnt make the barrel- but i had to try to see if i could get a tube shot frontside with the go pro....

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: New (to me) board stoke session!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 06:18:27 PM »
Nice!  I was looking hard at the 7-2 El Tigre last year but never pulled the trigger.   I would be interested in hearing how you like it vs your RNB and Starboard.
Home Break: Doheny
Tic Tac v3 (Hoglet): 6' 6" x 23" x 3.6" x 67L
Omni: 6' 9" x 23" x 3.75" x 68L
Tic Tac (OG): 7' 0" x 22.75" x 3.5" x 70L
In The Pink (Incoming): 8' 0" x 22.9" x 3.25" x 70L

Blackproject Surge S77 (Soft Flex Shaft, T-Grip, +0" OH)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 06:23:40 PM »
Nice photos. BTW, those stop action photos, the wall of water looks like it's a solid wall. Cool.  8)
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 06:44:27 PM »
Nice!  I was looking hard at the 7-2 El Tigre last year but never pulled the trigger.   I would be interested in hearing how you like it vs your RNB and Starboard.
Anonsurfer....I may do a review after i have had some more time on it. I've gotten so much out of this forum and now that I've owned and ridden a number of boards for a number of years I'm comfortable giving some thoughts.  In short:

I have the three boards mostly because of getting some good used buys but also for specific conditions.

HN excels in knee to chest mush. Super turny and a real skateboard. Im 210lbs on a 105l so it's pretty well sunk and I have to be moving to stay up. It drops super late (again more weight to volume related) and has the glide of a mushroom anchor.  It hates to power turn but pivots and spins in a dime.

The el tigre and RNB are both 8'8s but tigre is thinner and less wide.

The tigre really likes to surf vertically. Which is awesome and what I wanted. The HN and RNB are both still variations off a Simmons style and fly down the line but dont get up and down the wave as easy.

That said if your not generating speed from your turns on the el tigre you're in trouble. It needs a true bottom turn and top turn to keep up with Jersey beach break. Even with quads it was slow down the line but really moved when it's pumped and when water is moving off the fins.

The RNB is the middle child. Not as skatey as the HN but can't go up and down the wave like the surfboard shape of the el tigre. When I don't know what the conditions are. I'll be taking the RNB.

At 135 or so it more volume than I prob want. But I bought it used off a great zoner OilheadCJ even though I knew it wasn't really what I wanted I was boardless at the time and went for it. Glad I did love the board just wish it was like 8'2 120l or so.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 07:43:33 PM »
That's an interesting comparison between the RNB and El Tigre.  Does the El Tigre have a lot more rocker than the RNB?
Home Break: Doheny
Tic Tac v3 (Hoglet): 6' 6" x 23" x 3.6" x 67L
Omni: 6' 9" x 23" x 3.75" x 68L
Tic Tac (OG): 7' 0" x 22.75" x 3.5" x 70L
In The Pink (Incoming): 8' 0" x 22.9" x 3.25" x 70L

Blackproject Surge S77 (Soft Flex Shaft, T-Grip, +0" OH)

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 07:55:56 PM »
North Jerz, nice pics and board thoughts. Super clean waves!

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 04:36:01 AM »
That's an interesting comparison between the RNB and El Tigre.  Does the El Tigre have a lot more rocker than the RNB?
I wouldn't say 'alot' the profiles are similar. El tigre has much more nose rocker. tail rockers are simikar. But the RNB has ALOT more volume in the nose and tail. To the RNB's credit it turns much better on rail with such a wide tail than I thought it would. For example - my old pocket rocket was a pin tail and turned only slightly better on rail than the RNB with a 14 in wide tail.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 07:29:00 AM »
Nice! Always wanted to demo the Tigre. Dedicated FCS GoPro Mounts are def nice. My V-Box has one.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 10:03:20 AM »
Cook- If I ever have it down by LBI or AC I will give you a heads up- would be fun to swap boards!

If you come up north to surf do the same!

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 06:38:26 AM »
Cook- If I ever have it down by LBI or AC I will give you a heads up- would be fun to swap boards!If you come up north to surf do the same!
Sounds like a plan...message me your cell? Regarding the "Too much sky" in the frame. I noticed the same w/my FCS mount too. You have to kinda tweak it a few degrees towards the board(down). If you have a Hero4 Silver you can check frame w/the LCD screen. Very handy. Ever since I got the 4 Sil I never use the older 3 model.

One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal