Author Topic: New Zealand Downwind spots  (Read 2864 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
New Zealand Downwind spots
« on: November 17, 2016, 09:01:00 AM »
Planing on going to NZ this winter. Anyone has tips for a good downwind spots
hopefully close to some good surf spots.

I read some good stuff about the Northland as far as surf, not sure if there are any good downwind spots there.

Either North or South Island, have no preference.

Also, does RV make sense in NZ?
in progress...

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: New Zealand Downwind spots
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 10:05:04 AM »
Campervan camping in NZ is very popular and there are lots of deals.  The camper vans are smaller than US RVs and not as posh but would allow you to stop at beaches and camp (sometimes illegally but not strictly enforced).  The best rentals are from smaller NZ specific companies, you can check out a lot of reviews and deals on the internet.  I used Apex for car rentals on South and North Island.  We had two breakdowns and they were great with help getting going.  The south island is huge and almost everywhere is remote.

I spent almost a month in NZ in their summer and the weather was rain/winds and heavy rain and heavy winds the entire time.  We had three good surfing days on the entire trip.  That being said the south island is one of the most amazing places I have ever been.  The storms were worse there so if you are just going to surf I would suggest the north Island Taranaki area (lots of breaks no crowds, and up towards Raglan), The east end of the island supposedly has fantastic surfing but we did not get there.  Down wind paddling I saw was on Stewart Island (fantastic place)  and on the lakes in central south island near Wanaka and Te Anau.   There can be good surfing on the coast near there.  Check out Sand Flies before pack so you take some insect repellent.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 03:29:37 PM »
Thx Seadart! sounds like you had an amazing trip. Did you  drive all over with the RV or or rented one on each Island. How did you get to Stewart Island?

Hopefully some Kiwis here in the Zone with some good local knowledge of downwind spots. How about Gisborne area?
in progress...

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 03:52:05 PM »
I did not use camper vans during our trip, we rented a station wagon sort of suv and camped from tents. After being in NZ when I go back I will definitely do the camper vans.  We stayed in some great hotels, but there were some great places to camp nearby and we could have saved a lot and been right on the beach.  I have a good friend in NZ who uses camper vans a lot, I'll ask him which company you should look up.

Doing the rental car thing in NZ on North and South Islands is really easy.  We flew into Auckland then flew to Christchurch and rented a car there and drove around the south island for nearly three weeks.  We drove  to the south tip and took the ferry to Stewart Island.  You do not need a car there but you can rent one cheaply and see more of the island easily. We drove north mostly on the coast and did the fjordlands, doubtful sound, and the high mountain parks.   We returned the rental car in Christchurch and then caught a cheap flight to Wellington.  We hired a rental car from the same company in Wellington and drove up the west coast, in land to Tangariro and then west to climb Mt. Taranaki, and then surfed on the Taranaki coast for several days then north,  and finally dropped the car in Aukland.  We did not get as far east as Gisborne area.  The far north thumb of the island is supposed to be good for surfing but we did not make it there.

We were in an incredible storm on the south island and the crossing to stewart island in huge waves is something I will never forget.  NZ is in the "roaring 40s" latitude so there are very often very strong winds especially on the west coast.  There should be plenty of wind for down winding but I would try to make friends with some locals to learn where to go when it blows a gale constantly.  I have a friend in Taranaki and he showed us the secret surf  spots and took us around, it was really an unfogettable trip.

KiwiSupGreg

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 06:26:34 PM »
Hey there I'm not really into downwinding at all but I might be able to help, when are you coming?

During winter and spring our prevailing winds are westerlies and storms from the south. , and in summer we get northerners and nor easters from tropical storms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 08:33:49 PM »
Hey there I'm not really into downwinding at all but I might be able to help, when are you coming?

During winter and spring our prevailing winds are westerlies and storms from the south. , and in summer we get northerners and nor easters from tropical storms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm aiming for January/February. Would love some local knowledge.
From what I've seen and read, you have an amazing place. I realize there is no
Chance to really cover it in such a short time and really take it in, so I'm trying to pick  a region and stick with it. What do you think? Thx for reaching out :)
in progress...

GizzeeNZ

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 01:21:19 PM »
Have wondered about Mahia Peninsula to Gisborne in a big southerly (tail wind Mahia to Gisborne). Good surf in Mahia. Good surf in gisborne. Not a downwinder myself

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal