Author Topic: Epoxy 2 gallon kits for only $74 w/ free shipping - but it's TABLE TOP epoxy??  (Read 8921 times)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
... I give it a 99.9% chance of resulting in a wad of fiberglass hardening in your driveway.
So, you're telling me there is a chance...

https://youtu.be/wGdhc9k07Ms

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
All and more made with the stuff. All work great. Strong and durable. I'm cheap.

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
The main downside is that it will yellow pretty quickly, so you have to take steps to accommodate that problem. Lately I've been having success with  303 Marine UV Protectant. Since I'm not overly concerned with looks, and I don't build boards but only for myself and friends, it's ok by me. It would be like a medium speed epoxy in terms of drying time and the stuff lays down stellar final coats. You do, if it's coolish, need to heat up the resin (not the hardener) to get it to flow through the pumps. I just use a small ceramic space heater (like 8" square) and turn it on maybe 15 mins before I'm ready for use.

As far as strength, no problem at all.

I'm assuming the great hot coats are due to the viscosity, but it would be interesting to know why the surfboard epoxy guys don't have something similar. And as to the UV thing, I have added just a few drops of translucent blue pigment to my final coat, but it hasn't really helped too much. If I weren't lazy and stupid I'd take more steps to get to the bottom of both these things. Maybe y'all can enlighten me.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Interesting example of cost/benefit analysis by Biggreen. The table top epoxy cost him about $11 per board. If he used Research Resin it may have been as much as $26 per board. So you look at the cost of the blank, the glass, the fittings and the color. Throw in the labor and materials (brushes, sand paper, tape) and what is the risk vs the reward of saving approx $15 per board? How does he know the boards will hold up over time? Certainly not enough money to risk building a "disposable" board when I look at the risk of using a product that is not designed for building surfboards.

I hope Biggreen will give us a long term review of how these boards hold up over time.

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
All and more made with the stuff. All work great. Strong and durable. I'm cheap.

Tell us about that board, looks interesting.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Starman. Two years and counting with regular ass beatings and no issues yet. Flew in yesterday from 3 weeks surf in Mexico and no issues on my or any of the other boards we took. Being on the Gulf Coast there is no "real" board epoxy available, so the shipping costs add up to real money for non pros like me. For the pro? No. For the budget minded or occasional builder? Yes. I have a buddy that's been using the stuff for coming on 10 yrs with no issues at all.

Subber. I've never prone surfed. But all the longboard/nose rider talk lit my fire. Two of the boards pictured are dedicated noseriders. One for me and one for a buddy. And man, we LOVE these boards. What a blast to ride! 2 strokes and your on the wave. I take a sandwich along with me and eat it while I'm hanging out on the nose and cruising along waving at the girls on the beach. I'd recommend a noserider to everyone!

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile

Subber. I've never prone surfed. But all the longboard/nose rider talk lit my fire. Two of the boards pictured are dedicated noseriders. One for me and one for a buddy. And man, we LOVE these boards. What a blast to ride! 2 strokes and your on the wave. I take a sandwich along with me and eat it while I'm hanging out on the nose and cruising along waving at the girls on the beach. I'd recommend a noserider to everyone!

That's what I was thinking - rad noserider - looks really flat, thin, & wide and carries that width a long way down the parallel rails.
Looks really fun!
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Right on BG!

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Biggreen  Cool boards, dude, and thanks for posting them.

And to the rest of you that went full SWAYLOCK for me asking questions - go suck the big one, bitches!  ;)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 08:44:20 PM by magentawave »
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Good one MW!   ;D ;D

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
West Coast/East Coast.

This is an addendum to this thread. I'm probably gonna have to wait until Spring to ride this board. It's 79 liters to my 79 liters bare weight. So I suspect this Winter is out until I can get out of the extra gear and back in boardshorts. 7'8"x27.25"x3.75". 21.5"nose, 17.25"tail, table top epoxy. I think it'll be a hot rod, and I like the shape for our bumpy, short period, mushy surf, but maybe too low volume for my weight, our shitty waves and bump. So if I can't find a cute sup surf girl to give it to....any takers? Free, except for shipping. Can try and destroy a cheap epoxy board, and then add comment to this thread...

Course you gotta wait till Spring

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
I'm gonna put my bid in now, but I fully concede to either a surfer girl, or another zoner who can underweigh me.

Keep us posted man. I love your work. I'm about to start another 7'6" prone board and it's true, shipping will eat you up. I pick up my resin locally and although it's higher here and I pay tax it's still cheaper than shipping it in from just 2 states away.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Being away from my shop, I found a local supplier (San Diego) of surfboard epoxy and bought a gallon, along with fast and medium hardener and a bunch of carbon and glass. I'm making some flat molded carbon/fiberglass sandwich plates for an experiment. I'm used to using RR, and the stuff I bought is driving me nuts. Higher viscosity, slow wet out, pulls like hell on the fiber and makes the carbon look crappy. It's supposed to be excellent epoxy, but for me it represents new challenges to a process that's pretty fussy to begin with.

Note the uneven finish even though it was in a mold finished with 1000 grit. Hard to see, but the carbon is also racked by even the lightest brushing. This is the best of five. Not happy.

I'm always ready to try something new, but I also need to see some potential reward for abandoning tried and true. In this case, it was impatience and convenience, and I'm paying big for it. I've already trashed a couple of hundred bucks worth of time and materials.  Saving some money on epoxy that seems unsuited to start with is the last thing I'm going to try. I screw up enough as it is.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 08:55:14 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Man, that 7-8 is beautiful! I really prefer the look of the more rounded "evo" style nose you did over the squared off nose that everyone else is doing.

West Coast/East Coast.

This is an addendum to this thread. I'm probably gonna have to wait until Spring to ride this board. It's 79 liters to my 79 liters bare weight. So I suspect this Winter is out until I can get out of the extra gear and back in boardshorts. 7'8"x27.25"x3.75". 21.5"nose, 17.25"tail, table top epoxy. I think it'll be a hot rod, and I like the shape for our bumpy, short period, mushy surf, but maybe too low volume for my weight, our shitty waves and bump. So if I can't find a cute sup surf girl to give it to....any takers? Free, except for shipping. Can try and destroy a cheap epoxy board, and then add comment to this thread...

Course you gotta wait till Spring
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I hear ya, Pono. I'm now so used to using the stuff I use that it may take some adjustment if I use something different. I really like the RR and would love to use it if I were somewhere where it's easily obtained. When I was first trying to learn to build boards was when I bought RR. My absolute ignorant inexperience combined with the cost of the stuff shipped to me made (unrealistically, I'm sure) agonize over every single ounce of the stuff. Kind of crippling, in its way. With some experience, I doubt that would be the case now. And I'll admit it's nice not to obsess over ounces with the cheap stuff.  For your purposes, I suspect that if you warm your resin first, then mix, you'll get better results all around.

Cowboy. I got ya, buddy. If I don't fall in love with this board you'll get one of two things. This board, or the pic of a cute girl with her new board! And thanks my friend for the nice compliments.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal