Author Topic: Epoxy 2 gallon kits for only $74 w/ free shipping - but it's TABLE TOP epoxy??  (Read 8923 times)

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Pro Marine Supplies has a great deal on eBay for 2 gallon kits of epoxy resin for only $74 with free shipping. It is TABLE TOP epoxy. http://www.ebay.com/itm/282158908847?ul_noapp=true 

Does anyone know if this TABLE TOP epoxy works okay for surfboards and sups? My concern is how well it handles UV? (My board will be bright yellow.)

Thanks
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
RR epoxy is about $75 a gallon, why even chance it? 

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
You would want to look at the data sheet to compare closely as the modulas along with other properties could change a lot. If you want to improve your board building and quality of your boards use the best products you can get and learn how they work and like to be used keep changes and variations to a minimum. It is unlikely to have all the properties of surfboard resin so you will be paying for it in other ways weather it is in ease of sanding,strength,longevity or uv stabilisers.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Yeah, I can't see chancing a blank and all my time only to find out 6 months later that this stuff degrades in UV or can't take an impact.

There's a bottom to the price of a board. Make your blank, use cheap glass but really, resin is such a big part.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
RR epoxy is about $75 a gallon, why even chance it?

I'm not going to "chance it" until I know if it's okay to use. That's why I asked. ;) I'm also waiting to hear back from Pro Marine Supply.

IF it works then it would be the killer deal of the universe cuz it's only $74.00 for a two gallon kit - and FREE shipping.

Why not RR? Because $75 x 2 = $150.00 for two gallons and with shipping it's way too expensive on the west coast.

If that stuff isn't appropriate then I will buy Apex from Fiberglass Source in Oceanside which is close to me for $86.00 including tax for a 1.5 gallon kit. I used Apex last year and most of the glass shops in the area use it too.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 01:45:59 PM by magentawave »

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
It says it is "UV resistant" so can one of you smart people tell me if the description below is enough to tell you if it's any good for boards?

DESCRIPTION:

Crystal Clear Bar Table Top Epoxy Resin Coating For Wood Tabletop - 2 Gallon Kit

UV Stable Crystal Clear Table Top System is a high performance two
component Clear epoxy system designed for Table Tops, Bars, Wood finishes, See-Through
Encapsulations, Art work, and other applications requiring a clear, strong, plastic coating specifically
designed to resist Yellowing caused by the sun and other Ultra Violet light sources.
The material has an easy to use 1 to 1 by volume mix ratio, wets out substrates well, maintains its
integrity over sharp corners, it has excellent air release qualities, and a relatively fast set time for an
epoxy coating which may be accelerated by mild heat to 160F. While this material will do much
better then competitors products for non yellowing we still do not recommend it for permanent
outdoor applications.

Advantages
 100% Solids
 Self Leveling, High Gloss
 U.V. Resistant Formula
 Excellent Air Release
 Excellent Color StabilityImproved Impact Strength
 Improved Surface Appearance
 Early Development of Physical and Performance Properties
 Produces a Tough, High Gloss, Water Resistant Coating
 Eliminates Craters, Crawling and Fish Eyes
 Blush Resistant

Base Resin A-Side Curing Agent B-Side
Appearance: Clear Syrup Clear Syrup
Viscosity, Spindle #4 @ 6 rpm: 12,000 (+/- 2,000) 1,150 (+/- 300)
Weight per Gallon: 9.6 Lbs. 8.0 Lbs.
Mix Ratio: 1 to 1 by Volume or 100 A to 83 B by Weight
Gel-Time (100 gr. mass): 25 minutes (+/- 5 min.)
1/4” Casting Tack Free Time: 2.5 hours (+/- 30 min.)
Thin film Set Time 4 to 8 Hours depending on thickness and ambient temperature
Full Cure 24 to 48 hours for optimum properties
Hardness 70—75 Shore D (full cure)
Elongation > 15%

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email

While this material will do much better then competitors products for non yellowing we still do not recommend it for permanent outdoor applications.

Thin film Set Time 4 to 8 Hours depending on thickness and ambient temperature

Those two bits would prevent me for wanting to use make me think twice about using this resin for a SUP glass job.

My enjoyment of glassing greatly improved once I stopped using 'alternate' resins and got me some RR.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 04:35:15 PM by jrandy »
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
"Not recommended for outdoors"... are you out of your Vulcan mind? ;D

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I see "coating" mentioned multiple times...don't see anything about being suitable for  "laminating". Not the same thing...1/2 price could lead to a half a*# outcome.🤑

Resin Research's various blends of epoxy have percent elongation of between 2.3% and 6.5 %...this stuff is saying 15% elongation.....that's 2.3% more flex than their most flexible blend and 6.5% more flexible than their stiffest blend. It might end up feeling somewhere between a hard board and an inflatable...ha 🎈

Maybe that's what starboard uses for their flexy race boards🙄.

You already knew the answer before you ever asked...do the right thing...use the right stuff...the risk reward ratio is wack. Put 10's of hours of time and $100's of dollars worth of materials at risk for $75.00?

As Dirty Harry would ask... "do you feel luck...we'll do ya?" Lol 🤔

Best of luck whatever you decide....

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
We shall see but the operative words in their description was  PERMANENT OUTDOOR APPLICATIONS and no surfboard or sup is permanently outdoors: "While this material will do much better then competitors products for non yellowing we still do not recommend it for permanent outdoor applications."

Maybe 15% elongation would be a good thing - like Gumby? Hopefully they will send me the modulus stuff tomorrow and I'll post it here with RR and Apex.

I will also find out more about the set time and how it works for laminating. If this stuff ends up being crap then I'll go with Apex again.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
So let me see if I understand this. You've going to spend all the time and money to make a board, but instead of using materials you know and trust, you're going to save 75 bucks and use some decoupage shit?

Yeah, sure.  Sounds great.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
So let me see if I understand this. You've going to spend all the time and money to make a board, but instead of using materials you know and trust, you're going to save 75 bucks and use some decoupage shit?

Yeah, sure.  Sounds great.

No, Bill, that isn't what I'm saying at all. I don't know how many more ways I can say this, but let me try again...   

I am asking questions so I can determine if this product will work because that is what humans do when researching something. If I discover that this epoxy is not any good then I WILL NOT USE IT and I will use Apex instead. Got it? Good.  ;)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
I'm sure it will work to some extent but it's not going to be optimised for surfboards which is what Greg designed RR for. 15% elongation sounds like enough or a warning flag to put it out of the picture to me along with the cure time!

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email

Resin Research's various blends of epoxy have percent elongation of between 2.3% and 6.5 %...this stuff is saying 15% elongation.....that's 2.3% more flex than their most flexible blend and 6.5% more flexible than their stiffest blend.

I jacked up that last line in my comments about elongation...it should not read percentage..; but times...as in  your brand-X is 2.3 Times more flexible than RR most flexible blend (15%/6.5%= 2.3 times) and 6.5 Times more flexible than there stiffest (15%/2.3%=6.5 times)...huge difference...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 04:07:34 AM by SUPflorida »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Let me rephrase this then. In the beginning of applying materials to a sport there isn't a body of R&D applied to the materials. It's worth trying anything. When something new comes along like fishnet Innegra, it's worth giving it a go. But we are a long way into using epoxy for surfboards. Considering something like epoxy that isn't even intended to wet out fiberglass, but is simply a wood finish, isn't research. You might as well be asking if you should try using epoxy glue instead of resin designed for surfboard.

No one is going to be able to look at the specifications and determine that it's going to accidentally work fine. There a host of things that go wrong when you use something specifically made for the application, even after years of testing.  You'll have to try it. I give it a 99.9% chance of resulting in a wad of fiberglass hardening in your driveway. But you can use the rest to do a scrapbook finish on your coffee table.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal