Author Topic: Loving this fin setup  (Read 2089 times)

RecSuppa

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Loving this fin setup
« on: November 16, 2016, 07:19:17 AM »
I think I found my perfect fin setup for my Laird/Pearson 10'6". Nice balance of drive, speed and tail looseness. I'm loving it, so I thought I might share the stoke. ;)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Loving this fin setup
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 04:48:30 PM »
I use a similar type of setup on my Hammer (with 5 fins).
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 05:44:00 PM »
looks really interesting especially how close the side fins are
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 07:18:25 PM »

This may open up some fin discussion.  RecSuppa I really like that fin set up also...with the little nubster.  L41 boards and the Laird boards move those side fins close to the rail and close to each other.  I much prefer this type of quad set up.  I find the fins hold in better, go rail to rail better and are more loose to surf.

I believe DW did some testing with the quads closer to the rail and the (McGee?) quad set up.  I wish my Triton had the quads on the rails...I bet it would surf better.  Just like paddles I think sup surfers just adapt to the fin set up and make it work.

RecSuppa

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 01:42:13 PM »
I already was really enjoying the quad setup with the original fins. My brother brought the knubster as a gift from a trip to Hawaii this year. To me, it feels like it adds a bit more stability in turns, making rail transition smoother, but it doesn't kill the quad feel. I've been using it for a couple of months now, and last week we had three good days in chest to head high, reef break surf. It worked great!

Fanman

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 04:16:12 AM »
I do similar on most of my boards. It gives good drive, can slide it too if you like that feeling. Fishy feel with extra control!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal