Author Topic: Someone should do a drone style video tutorial series on all things SUP.  (Read 5201 times)

clinto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I am fairly new to the SUP world and have watched just about everything i can find on technique. The best videos i have found are the ones that are filmed as the subject is actually doing the action and there is someone explaining it. Larry Cain has a great paddling video with someone following him. It would be helpful if there was someone pointing out his hip motion and all of the other important points. He is so fluid its hard to actually see these things. Another good on is Jim Terrell explaining different paddle strokes as the paddler goes by a ruler. That one is very helpful but it only gets into the paddle motions and not body motions that enhance the stroke.
For me if there was a tutorial of people doing things like paddling out into the lineup with a drone filming it and someone explaining it, that would be so helpful. Other techniques i would like to see in action with an explanation would be catching waves and doing a buoy turn to get into position, general paddling when trying to accelerate to catch a wave, and im sure there are others that i just cant think of at the moment.
All of the videos i have watched are great, but having someone show paddle technique on land with a full length paddle that they cant fully submerge, and trying to explain what to do just isnt helpful anymore. Just some thoughts from a paddler that wants to learn more from the best.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Someone should do a drone style video tutorial series on all things SUP.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 07:37:21 AM »
That does sound like a great idea. A couple of follow me drones positioned right front/left rear would give a great view.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 01:21:40 PM »
Thanks for the interest in aerial instruction coverage, I've been thinking of a sup video series and the more we know what you want, the more beneficial the content will be for you.  Give me a shout if you get more ideas of what can help you.  R
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 11:39:08 AM »
Also Check Blue Planet Surf videos on youtube. He has a ton of great instructional vids.

RC
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 06:19:55 AM »
A couple of interesting resources: the guys in Portugal https://tiagosilvasup.leadpages.co/sup-surfing-tutorials/  ...and a young fellow in Nosara, Costa Rica http://progressionproject.com have both posted fresh insights on SUPsurf/surfSUP. (?) 

I would expect a series of 'drone' instructions could only be done by a company with very high markups, like a Naish, or sold (unattractive numbers) as all the associated costs from hardware thru production are pretty high.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 09:32:09 AM »
The surprising thing is that there are so many good instructional videos, since there is no significant revenue stream from them. Viewership is much too low. It would have to be a labor of love, and I don't know many people who love editing video enough to do it for no return.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 07:48:27 PM »
Pomo, as usual, you beat me. I was just about to ask Rob to discuss the opportunity in doing videos. I can't see if being worth the time (I've worked in video technology and production for years.)

Blue Planet can do them as a promotional thing and a branded arrangement could make it work.

It's a great idea but I watch everything I can put my eyes on and while there's not enough, there also doesn't seem to be a big enough market for SUP video to make it worth doing for just the content alone. We need some of that sweet board short/t-shirt money like the prone guys get (although that's tightened up a lot too.)

I appreciate all who create SUP content and I try to support it but with YouTube paying $2 per thousand clicks it seems like SUP content creators are poised to make literally..... dozens of dollars on the internet.

Now, making a drone video about drones is a way to make some bread. (Casey Neistat makes around $900k a year from his channel.)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 08:26:43 PM »
You'd think he could get a new pair of sunglasses. I'm a fairly level-headed guy, but I want to slap those things off his face.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 09:27:49 PM »
I've said it before PB, and I do mean it, the two of you likely have a lot of creative synergies. (Based only upon what little I know of each of you).

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 07:24:31 AM »
I agree with the comments and would also like to see and create SUP videos and tutorials with a high production value.  It seems that ad supported content isn't sustainable in niche subcultures.  My combined videos on all my channels on youtube have several hundred thousands views, the ad revenue is much lower than $2 per thousand.  Maybe Robert can chime in on what his blueplanet youtube channel ad revenue is per thousand?

I have been playing around with subscriptions.  Win Hof uses vimeo to host his content and so he can sell his video course, but he is already well known.  FMTV looks like they also use vimeo to host their content and sell subscriptions, but they have feature length films that have a broad appeal.

I am wondering if the smaller content creators of similar subcultures can combine their efforts into a revenue sharing website?  For example if there was a "netflix" for all things SUP videos I would subscribe, and I would upload my videos there instead of youtube. 

The open source software to create a subscription based website is out there and affordable.  Also there are some revenue sharing software makers out there, some modification might be needed.   Once the details are worked out this model could be easily replicated for any subculture or local/small group.  And probably a business opportunity for the programmers who want to offer the tech support.

The question I have is - are (SUP) content creators wanting to join something like this? 
And are there enough subscribers to sustain it? 
Would you pay $9.95 a month to watch short SUP videos?
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 01:13:31 PM »
^no

I'd pay a world-top-20 racer $80 for a couple hours of coaching with a burger and beer throw in after over a chat.

Sorry, there's always going to be free stuff online. So get real.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 01:28:22 PM by yugi »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 01:35:44 PM »
+1 Yugi

How many people pay for Pandora?  And, pay for an AOL account?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 01:48:02 PM »
80 bucks for a couple of hours??  Hello, 1985?

But yeah, the likelihood of getting someone to pay for stuff they normally get for free online is slim and requires a hell of a lot of marketing.

Revenue sharing is even more unlikely. the only revenue sharing models I know of that work are those where the market is huge and one party keeps most of the money (google, entertainment streaming (music, movies, etc)) or models taking advantage of existing resource underutilization with high ticket items (VRBO, AirBnB, Uber, etc.).

The development and marketing costs for almost any online effort is often grossly underestimated. Not easy making money on the interweb.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 06:53:06 PM »
Clay, branded content is the way to go. Get a company to pay, or use the tax break yourself if you have some "marketing" dollars to spare for your company, if you're self employed or own a business. I'll probably end up "sponsoring" my nephews rodeo careers a bit.

The Garage (I think it's part of the Orchard) sells online content subscriptions for action sports but I'm not sure it's good til you go big.

Pono, I agree, Casey's hard to take. ;) The shades make you look younger and hide a late night. Note that Bono started wearing shades in his late 40's and has not taken them off sense? Smart man, extend that career.

In the end, it's cheaper than ever to make content but still not free. We suffer from a lack of brands with extra marketing money and we don't have a great image. (Hey, who doesn't want to see some middle aged white guys "shred"? lol)

We get what we pay for and with a tiny niche, there's not much to pay with.

If I was Robert, I'd hit up some of the mid level YouTubers. Pay for a cheap ticket and Waikiki hotel deal and film 3 or 4 episodes of teaching them to paddle and take them on some adventures. Maybe a grand or two and you would be guaranteed a few million impressions for Blue Planet. Robert, hit me up if you want some introductions. I have friends who manage some of the larger youtubers.

clinto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 02:14:26 PM »
There are many good and very helpful videos out there. Most are geared at advertisement for the source just as you all are saying. The best group of videos for new paddlers are made by Bic SUP and Robert with BP. Same content that they are creating but with a birds eye perspective and play by play narration would go pretty far for most.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal