Author Topic: What's the best deck pad glue?  (Read 12059 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
What's the best deck pad glue?
« on: November 14, 2016, 05:50:20 AM »

I'm almost done replacing the LiftSup handle on one of my boards with a Blue Planet handle and it's going pretty well.

The final step will be gluing down an 8"X8" piece of Sunova pad which has no adhesive backing. What would be the best type of glue for this? I'm tempted to just epoxy it down as I doubt I'll ever have to remove it again. Would that be a mistake?

How would you guys do it?

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: What's the best deck pad glue?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 06:07:23 AM »
Rubber Cement will work perfect use it all the time NEVER have to reglue and it WILL come up with some persuasion

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 06:33:55 AM »
Epoxy would be a very unforgiving bond and leave lumps that would need to be sanded down should you ever re-pad.  I've never used rubber cement but if Jim K says it works I would take his word for it.  I've used 3m 77 spray adhesive without issue for many of my repairs.

Badger, how did you end up addressing the size difference between the two handles? 

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 07:36:37 AM »
Pliobond rubber cement! Riding with Jimmy the K on that one. Have used it. Spray contact cement also works..

Remove any ideas of epoxy from your thoughts!!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 04:41:25 PM »
Epoxy would be a very unforgiving bond and leave lumps that would need to be sanded down should you ever re-pad.  I've never used rubber cement but if Jim K says it works I would take his word for it.  I've used 3m 77 spray adhesive without issue for many of my repairs.

Badger, how did you end up addressing the size difference between the two handles?

The size difference didn't seem to matter. I routed the LiftSup out as if it wasn't there. Some plastic remained at each end and below. The cavity below and at each end I filled with pieces of foam weatherstripping that I had laying around. The new handle set in very sealed and solid with Gorilla Glue.

I'm doing both my boards. On this one (the 8'4) I decided to leave the flange above deck and not make it flush. It sticks up a bit but not much. I fared the edges of the flange with Faring filler to give it a gentle slope. I'll glass it over tomorrow.

I may make the handle flush on the next board. I'll wait and see how this one turns out.

The deck pad is critical because that is the part of the job that people will see.

I have some of that 77 adhesive. The Super 90 mentioned below sounds good.  I'll do some tests. If that isn't adequate, I'll try Rubber Cement.

I knew I might make some mistakes on the first try which I did but they were minor. On the next board I'll take pics of each step and do a post of how I did it.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 05:23:38 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

madeinsantacruz

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 04:55:42 PM »
Super 90 spray adhesive.  One coat on pad and one coat on deck.  Let both dry and then stick together with some pressure for an hour or so.  Done.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-17-6-oz-High-Strength-90-Spray-Adhesive-90-24/100151277

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 04:59:28 PM »
I always use contact cement or super 90; never have trouble with either.  Is contact cement the same as rubber adhesive? 

Badger, you will love your Blue Planet handle.  So glad I put one into my current board. Best handle of any I have used. 

« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 05:02:09 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 10:57:55 AM »

Okay the first board is done. I went with the 3M 90 spray adhesive. That stuff is incredibly sticky. Once you start laying the pad down, there's no moving it, so you have to get it right the first time.

I think it came out alright. I only had small pieces of deck pad material to work with. The seams aren't really as visible as the picture makes it look. At least the colors match. Thanks go out to mdsurf for donating the material.

I tested it in the surf this morning. It's great not having to mess with the Liftsup anymore. The Blue Planet is so much easier to use.

Now that I've done one board, the next one will be a lot easier. I'll take pictures of each step and do a post when it's done.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 11:16:09 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 11:12:22 AM »
Nice work Badger!

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 01:29:49 PM »
Looks real good to me.  The handle and the pad are blending in nice.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal