Author Topic: rippled hot coat on rails  (Read 2436 times)

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
rippled hot coat on rails
« on: December 07, 2016, 07:02:49 PM »
I have this problem on every board I have made. 

The hotcoat looks good on the bottom and top, but the rails are heavily rippled.  I do the cheater coat before the hotcoat.  I use just barley enough epoxy to cover the bottom n top, but the rails are a bitch to sand. 

I thought I might be getting too thick a hotcoat, but I dont think thats the case..it looks like valleys n rivers of hotcoat on the rails.   I use gloves when sanding the board and getting it ready for the hotcoat.

Anyone else has this problem?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: rippled hot coat on rails
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 07:49:36 PM »
any picture? if its not just slumping from it being to thick then generally most problems with hot coasts is contamination, The other one to look out for is direct sun light that can give similar effects to contamination.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 03:36:30 AM »
Are you over working it? Brush it once, twice, walk away while it can still flow and self level.

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 03:03:05 AM »
I dont habve picures.  I just finished a 7.8 prone board and was tired of the ecess sanding of the rails.  Its a killer for me.. 

I bet its slumping from being too thick.  I use Apex epxoy and wonder if its a thicker epoxy.  Maybe need to warm it a bit before applying?  I dont think its contaminatin.  I have had plenty fo that beofre and know exactly whay it looks like.

I do a chaeter coat, then when that starts to gel up, I spread out my epoxy with a wide brush.  Go lenghtwise, then sideways, then lenghtwise and then the rails and walk away. 

I bet I have too much epoxy on the board or its too thick.

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 04:44:38 AM »
Curious...you think it's too thick...I was thinking you may be trying to put on too much resin that has too low a viscosity. In any case it sounds like too heavy a coat.
If your using a low viscosity resin go with a faster hardner so it doesn't have as much time to sag. Just say no to curtains
I like higher viscosity resin myself. Picture below of hot coat on last build...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 04:46:12 AM by SUPflorida »

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 12:38:45 PM »
I dont habve picures.  I just finished a 7.8 prone board and was tired of the ecess sanding of the rails.  Its a killer for me.. 

I bet its slumping from being too thick.  I use Apex epxoy and wonder if its a thicker epoxy.  Maybe need to warm it a bit before applying?  I dont think its contaminatin.  I have had plenty fo that beofre and know exactly whay it looks like.

I do a chaeter coat, then when that starts to gel up, I spread out my epoxy with a wide brush.  Go lenghtwise, then sideways, then lenghtwise and then the rails and walk away. 

I bet I have too much epoxy on the board or its too thick.

quite possibly, however i prefer tot use plenty and then remove any extra than do it to thin and have problems from that. For the final pass i make sure i scrape the excess of the brush each pass and i generally give the rail a few extra passes and even wait 5 to before the last one just to be sure. Nice and warm works for me its always a dog when you are trying to work with cold epoxy. Its probably the hardest part of the process to get perfectly right in my book!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 08:47:41 PM »
I actually do the brush down on the rails too. Epoxy kicks so slow that while I agree to walk away after you spread on the top, you can go back min later and just drag the brush along the tape just below the tape line. (sometimes sideways instead of the wide way) to remove the excess there.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal