Author Topic: Paddle questions  (Read 8228 times)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Paddle questions
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2016, 05:05:32 PM »
Not to do with paddles - but look how low that racer stands below water level in that 2017 Sprint.   :o
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Esteroali

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2017, 10:40:38 AM »
Update on paddle purchase. 

I waited a couple months to post this because I wanted  to get a feel for the paddle.
There  was definitely a learning curve paddling with my new paddle. Grabbing the water at the catch was initially very difficult and I had a hard time keeping the board straight. After a couple months I feel  much more comfortable with the paddle and have no issues. When I ordered the paddle I spoke directly with Bob Zaveral. He helped me through the whole process. I wanted a 78sq. in. blade that was 6.5 wide. I got a superlight shaft that has a bit more flex,  thinner walls, and a contoured smaller hand grip.
The paddle is well made and SUPER LIGHT.  I was able to hop on a group sale from NYC and get 25% off. Total cost to door 350.00
Conclusion:  I love the paddle. I am able to hold a higher cadence and it "seems" easier on my body than the Hippo stick 7 I was using. I don't think the new paddle is any slower or faster but I am able to keep a higher rate with less effort and go the same speed. It definitely too some getting used to but it seems to have forced me to improve my catch.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 10:42:33 AM by Esteroali »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2017, 10:55:09 AM »
Lightness is not simply the reciprocal of durable. A lot of the weight in cheap and even not-cheap paddles are cosmetic fixes like clearcoat, or clumsy and heavy shaft to blade connections. 111 grams is amazing. The ONLY way to get that light and still survive a single hard pull is excellent materials and excellent engineering.

Still, a paddle that light can be compromised with a deep scratch. Make sure you bag that thing.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2017, 12:36:08 PM »
111 grams is amazing...

111 grams is amazing but if you referring to image I posted, it is 11.1oz. Still amazing
but just wanted to set the record straight.
in progress...

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2017, 12:42:59 PM »
The paddle is well made and SUPER LIGHT.  I was able to hop on a group sale from NYC and get 25% off. Total cost to door 350.00
Conclusion:  I love the paddle...

Esteroali, I'm so very happy you like the paddle and glad I could help. Still planning on
Hitting FL later in the winter so maybe we'll get to paddle together.
in progress...

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2017, 06:46:45 PM »
Update on paddle purchase. 

I waited a couple months to post this because I wanted  to get a feel for the paddle.
There  was definitely a learning curve paddling with my new paddle. Grabbing the water at the catch was initially very difficult and I had a hard time keeping the board straight. After a couple months I feel  much more comfortable with the paddle and have no issues. When I ordered the paddle I spoke directly with Bob Zaveral. He helped me through the whole process. I wanted a 78sq. in. blade that was 6.5 wide. I got a superlight shaft that has a bit more flex,  thinner walls, and a contoured smaller hand grip.
Conclusion:  I love the paddle. I am able to hold a higher cadence and it "seems" easier on my body than the Hippo stick 7 I was using. I don't think the new paddle is any slower or faster but I am able to keep a higher rate with less effort and go the same speed. It definitely too some getting used to but it seems to have forced me to improve my catch.

Hey Esteroali,

Really glad you like the paddle. Burchas also helped convert me to ZRE, and like you I love it. I hadn’t been on my board for a while and then went out again yesterday. It’s just a joy to use the ZRE paddle.

Oh, and by the way. I went back and read through this thread and came across your earlier post where you offered a “paddle party” with free mango jam and coconut key lime liquor. Since you already have your new paddle I’m thinking there is no need for the party. But then again, since it was Burchas and myself who recommended the ZRE, maybe there’s still some mango jam and coconut key lime liquor for us???  ;D   ;D   ;D
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Esteroali

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2017, 07:51:11 PM »
ANy time you're important the neighborhood you're welcome to paddle.
I quit drinking but mango jam is still to be had.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2017, 09:45:09 AM »
I was only teasing, and since I live in Canada I doubt I’ll be close anytime soon. Do appreciate the offer though. And must admit that mango jam is one of my favourites!   :)
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal