Author Topic: Trashzilla Spotted on Hong Kong Beach  (Read 11254 times)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
Trashzilla Spotted on Hong Kong Beach
« on: November 07, 2016, 04:05:03 AM »
This was quite a cool event this past week organized by the Ocean Recovery Alliance.

Over 800 children, teachers and volunteers brought back “Lap Sap Chung,” Hong Kong’s legendary trash monster, in a message to the world that plastic pollution endangers our sea animals and health of the ocean. Lap Sap Chung, or Trashzilla, thrives on plastic trash, and his appearance in Hong Kong sends a reminder from our youth to stop littering our waters.

https://youtu.be/-8HvELYNfzo
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Trashzilla Spotted on Hong Kong Beach
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 07:20:58 AM »
I'm a "baby boomer". It seems my generation had respect for the environment. I think that comes form our parents and their "methods" of parenting. When I was a very young, I threw some trash on the beach. My father saw this and after a few moments of him "straightening me out" (if you get my drift), I never did it again. Our beaches were cleaner back in my days as a young boy.

Fast forward to today, our beaches on the upper Texas coast are "dirty". All sorts of trash litter the beaches. It seems the generations after mine, just don't give a damn about anything. They'll just throw trash on the ground at a moments notice. They seem to not care about anything other than their own self gratification. It is a sad state of affairs and I honestly don't think it will change for the better.

Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 09:33:01 AM »
Wow, night wing, that in a nutshell is the kind of rose colored glasses I was talking about earlier. Prior to the national Keep America Beautiful campaign in 1953, people casually dumped crap everywhere and it took decades to change that. When you were done with food wrappers in your car they went out the window. The problem now isn't that people litter more, it's that the things that DO get tossed are much more persistent. If you had a picnic in the 50's and 60's and just left all your junk, most of it would be paper mache in a few days except for the cutlery--and even that was more frequently wood instead of plastic. Leave the containers from your picnic behind today, and they will be there for ten years or more.

People don't litter more--they litter much less. Hugely less, everywhere except in areas of total chaos and poverty.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 11:30:21 AM »
@PonoBill

When my dad "straightened me out" for littering that one time when I was about 7 years old and in reality "getting too big for my britches", he did so by "fanning my rear end". I "never forgot" that lesson.

The lesson above taught me a greater respect about littering when it comes to "anything". When my dad taught me how to bird hunt, whether we were hunting doves, quail, turkey, squirrels with shotguns (his was a 12 gauge pump, mine was a 12 gauge semi-auto); we always picked up our spent brass/plastic hulls and brought the brass/hulls back home where we re-loaded them to be used again. At the target ranges (both public & private) to sight in our center fire rifles for hunting deer, javelina, feral hogs, etc; we always picked up our spent brass cartridges after the sight in session. Out hunting, I always made sure if I shot an animal (for the meat to be consumed), I kept the fired and spent cartridge in my rifle and I made sure when I got home, the spent cartridge was still with me and disposed of properly.

When I got older and started fishing and crabbing, any fresh or frozen bait that came in a plastic bag or container, these items came home with me to be recycled. When I was out kayaking on either a freshwater river, lake, stream or paddling on saltwater bays, marshes, flats, canals or beyond the breakers; if I came upon any plastic in the water or at my launch point, I brought it home with me to be properly disposed of.

So that one short painful lesson my dad taught me has stayed with me for my entire lifetime. After my "lesson", after a few days of thinking of what I had done, my dad gave me a few words of wisdom which has stayed with me since that time and those words were............."Pain is an excellent teacher". Looking back on it today, it's a lesson I'm glad my late dad taught me even though at that moment in time, I didn't enjoy it.  ;)

« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 11:32:05 AM by Night Wing »
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 01:03:54 PM »
Great video. Thanks for posting.

...reminds me of this "Trash Hero" Starboard event in Bangkok. I like the Allstars being put to alternative use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiQpMvRav80
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 01:15:12 PM »
I'm a "baby boomer". It seems my generation had respect for the environment. I think that comes form our parents and their "methods" of parenting. When I was a very young, I threw some trash on the beach. My father saw this and after a few moments of him "straightening me out" (if you get my drift), I never did it again. Our beaches were cleaner back in my days as a young boy.

Fast forward to today, our beaches on the upper Texas coast are "dirty". All sorts of trash litter the beaches. It seems the generations after mine, just don't give a damn about anything. They'll just throw trash on the ground at a moments notice. They seem to not care about anything other than their own self gratification. It is a sad state of affairs and I honestly don't think it will change for the better.

Gonna have to agree 100% with Pono here.  Your generation DID NOT respect the environment... in fact, they didn't even know the environment was an issue.  The advent of plastics and our increased dependency on disposable everything all occurred post-WWII, and the "baby boomers" were the first kids in history to grow up with this being the "new normal."   

So, the current crises that the ocean is facing - plastic pollution, sea level rise & ocean acidification due to climate change... don't blame kids today just because your dad taught you not to litter.  This goes WAY BEYOND not littering, amigo.   

I applaud the efforts of everyone, everywhere doing their part to lower the impact of their lifestyle and/or raise awareness to this issue. 

« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 01:18:22 PM by Fog City Rider »
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 02:02:47 PM »
I"m not questioning how your Dad enforced his lessons on you--though the notion that "Pain is a great teacher" excuses a lot of bad behaviour. It's a lot easier to whack a kid than to teach one. If your Dad combined both, then more power to him, but that isn't the norm of old-school parental discipline. A lot of it just came from frustration,  impatience and the simple fact that it was accepted behaviour.

What I'm disputing is that our generation respected the environment and took better care of it. That's just demonstrably nonsense.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 05:08:07 PM »
Back in the 50's and 60's we sailed often with my dad's best friend in the ocean.  Empty beer cans had holes punched in the bottom.  Then the can was tossed overboard.  At least it sank.
Frequently I pick up beer bottles and beer cans floating in the bay. 

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 05:21:24 PM »
My local surf spots are called North Garbage and South Garbage. The names comes from the fact that until the late 50's, the beach there was where the city dumped the collected garbage they collected.

I guess the good news is that there weren't a lot of plastics being thrown away back then.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 06:10:14 AM »
The garbage pile caught fire in the late 60's.  Thr fire reduced the eye sore somewhat.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 06:26:41 AM »
I think I have a unique (could be wsrong) observation

Since I run a beach resort and am on the board of a non profit group that runs a launch (PT Point) down the bay from our beach at Extreme Windsurfing in west Atlantic City

I can say with confidence that "Fishermen (and women) & Hunters in general are "Dirty Birds" (Littering at the extreme) besides leaving their trash paper they litter PT Point (I banned fishing from our Private beach) with plastic and styrofoam containers, plastic can holders (kills birds and turtles and who knows what else) fish hooks, lead sinker, duck hunters leave thir spent cartriges that float up on all our beaches not to mention dead birds they don't retrieve. The one that really pisses me off it the discarded "Trash Fish" those species they don't deem "Game or Pan fish". When regular folks see dead fish they think the water is bad Which is FAR from the truth Lakes bay has the most prolific shellfish waters (by acre) than anywhere on the east coast (Shellfish need cleanwater)

I love fishing hunting along with all the wind and watersports but why do all of us "other sports" have to clean up afdter these "Dirty Bird" Fishermen and hunters?

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal