General > Environment

Trashzilla Spotted on Hong Kong Beach

(1/3) > >>

Off-Shore:
This was quite a cool event this past week organized by the Ocean Recovery Alliance.

Over 800 children, teachers and volunteers brought back “Lap Sap Chung,” Hong Kong’s legendary trash monster, in a message to the world that plastic pollution endangers our sea animals and health of the ocean. Lap Sap Chung, or Trashzilla, thrives on plastic trash, and his appearance in Hong Kong sends a reminder from our youth to stop littering our waters.

Night Wing:
I'm a "baby boomer". It seems my generation had respect for the environment. I think that comes form our parents and their "methods" of parenting. When I was a very young, I threw some trash on the beach. My father saw this and after a few moments of him "straightening me out" (if you get my drift), I never did it again. Our beaches were cleaner back in my days as a young boy.

Fast forward to today, our beaches on the upper Texas coast are "dirty". All sorts of trash litter the beaches. It seems the generations after mine, just don't give a damn about anything. They'll just throw trash on the ground at a moments notice. They seem to not care about anything other than their own self gratification. It is a sad state of affairs and I honestly don't think it will change for the better.

PonoBill:
Wow, night wing, that in a nutshell is the kind of rose colored glasses I was talking about earlier. Prior to the national Keep America Beautiful campaign in 1953, people casually dumped crap everywhere and it took decades to change that. When you were done with food wrappers in your car they went out the window. The problem now isn't that people litter more, it's that the things that DO get tossed are much more persistent. If you had a picnic in the 50's and 60's and just left all your junk, most of it would be paper mache in a few days except for the cutlery--and even that was more frequently wood instead of plastic. Leave the containers from your picnic behind today, and they will be there for ten years or more.

People don't litter more--they litter much less. Hugely less, everywhere except in areas of total chaos and poverty.

Night Wing:
@PonoBill

When my dad "straightened me out" for littering that one time when I was about 7 years old and in reality "getting too big for my britches", he did so by "fanning my rear end". I "never forgot" that lesson.

The lesson above taught me a greater respect about littering when it comes to "anything". When my dad taught me how to bird hunt, whether we were hunting doves, quail, turkey, squirrels with shotguns (his was a 12 gauge pump, mine was a 12 gauge semi-auto); we always picked up our spent brass/plastic hulls and brought the brass/hulls back home where we re-loaded them to be used again. At the target ranges (both public & private) to sight in our center fire rifles for hunting deer, javelina, feral hogs, etc; we always picked up our spent brass cartridges after the sight in session. Out hunting, I always made sure if I shot an animal (for the meat to be consumed), I kept the fired and spent cartridge in my rifle and I made sure when I got home, the spent cartridge was still with me and disposed of properly.

When I got older and started fishing and crabbing, any fresh or frozen bait that came in a plastic bag or container, these items came home with me to be recycled. When I was out kayaking on either a freshwater river, lake, stream or paddling on saltwater bays, marshes, flats, canals or beyond the breakers; if I came upon any plastic in the water or at my launch point, I brought it home with me to be properly disposed of.

So that one short painful lesson my dad taught me has stayed with me for my entire lifetime. After my "lesson", after a few days of thinking of what I had done, my dad gave me a few words of wisdom which has stayed with me since that time and those words were............."Pain is an excellent teacher". Looking back on it today, it's a lesson I'm glad my late dad taught me even though at that moment in time, I didn't enjoy it.  ;)

Dusk Patrol:
Great video. Thanks for posting.

...reminds me of this "Trash Hero" Starboard event in Bangkok. I like the Allstars being put to alternative use:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version