Author Topic: Wide point placement  (Read 2118 times)

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Wide point placement
« on: November 01, 2016, 07:38:33 PM »
Normally I place the wide point on my boards basically at the center, or very close thereabouts. As per Surf Science. Wide point further forward, easier to paddle onto a wave. Wide point further back, easier, better tight turns. Makes perfect sense. However, since we have the added advantage of the power of the paddle I'm thinking the former may not be near as much of an issue. This next board I'm considering placing the wide point somewhere around 4" back of center. 

For specifics. I'm thinking something akin to that Riviera Whirling Dervish style shape 8'x 26.5" for those days when the inside is bigger, wonky, and relentless here on the Gulf Coast. More the last two than anything. We may not get the power surf the rest of y'all get, but on a larger day with 6-8 second period swell the fight out can be nothing short of a slugfest. That way I'll have more length for glide (more than my usual) to fight my way out, but maybe? tighter turning with the more parallel plan shape? I'm asking, not telling. Thoughts from those in the know? Thoughts I've left out?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wide point placement
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 10:00:00 PM »
The concept of the Tomo / Simmons / Nugget / Peanut is a straighter rail to allow for some glide with a short board. Wide tail and nose gives stability in the line up, which you lose by shortening the board. All trade offs. If you move the widest point 4" back of center, I think it will have little effect on a Tomo. If it was more of a pulled in / ripper shape, then it'l put you back surfing off the tail more. Probably make it harder to paddle into waves. With less volume forward, you may not be able to get your front  foot forward when trying to catch waves? Can't confirm until you try. Please R&D this concept for us:)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 05:31:53 AM »
Your rocker, contours and outline will play a big role in how the finished board handles.   What do you ride currently and how does the Whirling Dervish differ?  If the WD is wider than your current board I think you will get the results you are looking for. i.e. a more stable platform for a tough paddle out.    If it is narrower you will most likely find the WD less stable in tougher conditions.

I designed my last board with conditions similar to what you describe in mind - larger days where the paddle out is tougher or any other day where a little extra stability was desired.  I wanted something with a bit more stability but wanted it to surf vertically with tight turns.  I made the following changes from my daily driver:

moved the wide point back
added a 1/4" more tail rocker
increased vee out the tail
shortened the length (-4")
added a little width (+1")
pulled the nose in (overall curvier outline)
increased the volume slightly (+3L). 

The result was a super stable board (more width and volume) that wants to surf more vertically with tighter turns (increased tail rocker, vee, wide point back, narrower nose).  The board likes waves with some power and likes to stay in the pocket.  The downside? I lost a little low end performance with the increased vee, tail rocker and outline curve.   I didn't notice a decrease in ability to catch waves. 

Here's a pic of the board...

Home Break: Doheny
Tic Tac v3 (Hoglet): 6' 6" x 23" x 3.6" x 67L
Omni: 6' 9" x 23" x 3.75" x 68L
Tic Tac (OG): 7' 0" x 22.75" x 3.5" x 70L
In The Pink (Incoming): 8' 0" x 22.9" x 3.25" x 70L

Blackproject Surge S77 (Soft Flex Shaft, T-Grip, +0" OH)

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 12:28:27 PM »
Widepoint (outline), rocker and foil all need to be in harmony with each other otherwise you have different design elements fighting each other
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal