Author Topic: Sup Fin Setups for Surfing Video  (Read 1003 times)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Sup Fin Setups for Surfing Video
« on: November 01, 2016, 07:37:29 AM »
This topic is basically for newcomers to the sport of sup surfing so you "pros" on here with many years of sup surfing under your belt might be a littler bored with this topic. I thought this topic would be good for those newbies considering the world of sup surfing and newly registered as members on the Zone and also for those "lurkers" on the Zone site who are not registered but highly motivated to get into sup surfing and needing information regarding fin configuration and setups.

After I got my first all around sup (Hobie ATR-2 model in a 12'2" length) I wanted to get a second sup, but I wanted it to be a shorter sup that could do both flat water and surfing. I figured since I can multi-task, I wanted my second sup to mult-task too.  ;) I seriously started thinking about a second sup for both flat water and surfing this past January of 2016.

Since I knew surfing sups (usually 10' and under) have 3 fin (Thruster) and 5 fin (Quad + 1) configurations, I wanted to learn more about these different fin configurations in conjunction with the many different designs of surfing sups with regards to both nose (pointed, rounded, etc) and tail designs (pin, chisel, etc) and everything else in between, but I wanted to start with the different fin configurations. BTW, I ordered my second sup (I believe) on May 2.

Blue Planet made, in my opinion, an excellent YouTube video which I could understand in layman's terms. Robert (Stehlik) did a great job on this video. Below is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umvyhcOYlTE
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal